Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 10th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Xargon has disabled reputation
Creative Rules

When playing heroscape onr of my opponents tries to create rules relating to real life to benifit his game

He tried to claim he could use mimrings fireline to melt the ice terrain so his marros could water clone.

I though it was very creative but you do have to stick to the rules when you play.
Does anybody else try to pull creative rules like this?

Poo = yum
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:11 AM

obi_JUAN has disabled reputation
This is just an opinion, but if you allow that kind of behaviour during gameplay you will end up burning the whole rule-book, it will make you go all crazy when playing, and it will eventually result in your friend kicking your ass all the time.

The melting thing is original though, but... what do you do then? Do you replace the frozen tile for a water one on the spot? Hahahaha! (just guessing) Imagine for a change that you play with Nilfheim, it would be most annoying to go on replacing tiles from frozen-to-melted...

I'm gonna Krug you!
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
I wouldn't do it, but ...

there's a cetain logic there. I'm really down on rules additions or variants that change the core rules of the game. A house rule, such as you indicate, is one of those rules and I'd just say "It's a game. No, youcan't do that." However, if you want to try it out, it becomes a house rule. We have a house rule on house rules: they must be agreed upon before play begins. If they weren't, they don't exist. Some examples are: lowering the costs of official characters when drafting, changing movement rules or terrain effects, and controversial interpretations of special rules. "Can my dragon attack the ice and melt it?" is obviously the latter. If you agree on something like: "Instead of attacking, Roll your attack dice: the # of skulls is the # of snow or ice hexes in a straight line (horizonal or vertical) that you can melt this turn." then it's in effect for that game. Not forever, just that game.Again, I wouldn't allow it, but if you want to see how it would affect the game, go for it.

By the way, Obi, nice avatar.

Not one step backwards!
Old March 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM

heroscaper2.0 has disabled reputation
I do sometimes play with house rules that make the game more realistic. However, it is just a game, and therefore in no need of "realism". Lets say for example: Is it realistic that your viking is attacking a knight while the knight just stands there and doesn't fight back? And could an arrow penetrate the deadly armor of a DW? Could a red demon kyrie with a ripped "loincloth" cost 180 pts.? There is always something not realistic in most games (Warhammer, Risk, AT-43, etc.) Play as you like, we are not trying to stop you from playing how you like. All house rules should be stated before the game. The house rule about melting ice is ingenious if you'd ask me.

Old March 10th, 2007, 01:42 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2.0
I do sometimes play with house rules that make the game more realistic. However, it is just a game, and therefore in no need of "realism". Lets say for example: Is it realistic that your viking is attacking a knight while the knight just stands there and doesn't fight back? And could an arrow penetrate the deadly armor of a DW? Could a red demon kyrie with a ripped "loincloth" cost 180 pts.? There is always something not realistic in most games (Warhammer, Risk, AT-43, etc.) Play as you like, we are not trying to stop you from playing how you like. All house rules should be stated before the game. The house rule about melting ice is ingenious if you'd ask me.

I take offense with that. I am worth at least 200 with inflation. So don't go calling me overpriced.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM

heroscaper2.0 has disabled reputation
OVERPRICED!! You are worth 80...and that's pushing it.
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:48 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2.0
OVERPRICED!! You are worth 80...and that's pushing it.
80 is not pushing it.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:25 AM

Xargon has disabled reputation
Why does debate always go back to taelord!

OVERPRICED! THERE I SAID IT!

Taelord should be 150 at most

their should also be a character called tealord who throws cups of tea at people

Poo = yum
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xargon
There should also be a character called tealord who throws cups of tea at people
That's hilarious! Oh, and I fixed your grammar. NOTE: I'm a minor, so don't you go minoring me, young man!
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM

SilverBlade has disabled reputation
Re: Creative Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xargon
Does anybody else try to pull creative rules like this?
Only if I'm losing.

The Code:

Let the strong protect the weak.
Let the weak revere the strong.
In all things uphold honor, charity, and justice.
And may fear have no place in the hearts of men.
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:41 AM

no flashlight has disabled reputation
same... and hi. :P

...I still think elevation buffs shouldn't apply to ranged attacks.
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
But, back to the original question: The key to house rules is that everyone has to agree to them before the game begins. Otherwise, they are inherently unfair, as one person just gets to make them up for his or her own benefit as the game goes along.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion