Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old February 17th, 2009, 11:28 PM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Opinions Wanted

Hi I am relatively new to the boards (and the game for that matter) and have an idea for a 600 point Valiant army based on the sets (Including Marvel) & expansions I have. I want you opinions on how well you think this army would do.

Captain America (220)
Sir Dupuis (150)
Thorgrim Viking Champion (80)
Knights of Weston (70)
4th Massachusettes Line (70)
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Oyhedwig has disabled reputation
Re: Opinions Wanted

Captain America is always killer with the Minutemen, but you need more squads than one to make that work well. Knights can be ok with one squad, but commons should usually be played with multiples.

My Deathwalkers climb.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:31 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

A valiant army is pretty common, but since your new I'll post some help for you; hopefully it will help you avoid any resenting comments in the future (comments that wouldn't be coming from me). Everything that follows has been pre-typed, so some of it may not pertain to you (The second quote is more important than the first). It was all typed to help/inform new members, and not to flame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
This is the forum conduct; its not a required read, but once in awhile someone comes along who must be referred here.

The Books have every unit in them and are a great resource for finding/asking questions about a single unit.

The Definitive List of Definitive Lists will take you to... I think this one is self explanatory.

My favorite strategy threads:
Efficient Play Wins the Day
What's in an Order Marker?
Heroscape Power Rankings
The Idiot's Guide to Making a Competitive Army
In Game Point Value
Order Markers
Don't Forget to Move!
To Disengage or Not to Disengage...

Again, welcome to the site!

~GreenLanturn~
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin573 View Post
Once I work out my first army I will post it for all to laugh or cry or shake in fear at!
An issue that I am starting to see with the armies forum is that to many people are posting new threads with vague names such as, "How's this" or "What do you think of this army".

Its fine that a new thread is made (though my opinion on the new threads is not very valuable), but I think many would agree that such vague names only cause clutter. Also you cannot use the search function to find an Elf army if its title is "How's this".

If you do decide to make a new thread:
1. Do a search to see if your theme isn't already out there.
A. If you find an existing thread read some of it to see if it changes your army.

B. Check the date of the last post in that thread. If its to old you should try to add to the discussion of the thread if you post there. (Posting an army would be adding to the discussion.) (The Books are the exception to this. You may ask/post/answer in them no matter the date.)
2. If there is no existing thread make one with a descriptive and correctly spelled title.
That is a very long way of saying, "Please be descriptive and try to reduce clutter."

Thanks a bunch!
Again, this was all posted to help/inform, and not to flame.

Welcome to the site, and have fun scape-ing!

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.

Last edited by GreenLanturn; February 18th, 2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Minimizing the text.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:38 AM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks very much GL. I am a gamer at heart and have been playing many types of games over my 37 years so I appreciate the help and advice. Heroscape is the first game that has had me interested in playing any kind of miniatures game.
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:07 AM

Queenmojo knows what's in an order marker Queenmojo knows what's in an order marker

I have been continually suprised with the performance of Captain America. Recently seeing him take apart entire armies by himself. I would have to agree with many here that combining him with multiple squads of the 4th Mass is just deadly. However, I have been using him with great success with the Knights of Weston. Use bonding to advance your Knights, while sending Thorgrim at big targets and trying to get some damage out of him, but getting him killed is the goal here to give Captain America 7 defense, which is crazy with counter strike. Throw in some range and you got yourself a pretty solid army. Personal preference, but Sir Dupius is seldom worth his points when you could get 2 more squads of Knights or 4th Mass.

Knights of Weston x2
Thorgrim
4th Mass x2
Captain America

for 580
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:18 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Note that everything that follows assumes you have a million figures. If you're new to the game, you probably don't. However, this might encourage you to buy some more .

I'll echo the others and say that commons should be used in multiples to be really effective. Also, one of the best things about Valiant armies is the ease of Order Marker management. They normally have only 1 or 2 cards that a player needs to worry about placing markers on. You have 4 here, and I'd strongly suggest getting it down at least to 3.

Also, I think Captain America and Thorgrim together is kind of overkill. Sure, Cap is a nice place to put Thorgrim's spirit when he dies, but if your commons are the meat of the army I don't think you need to try and manage both of their auras - that's hard.

The first thing I would do is cut Sir Dupuis in favor of more Knights or Mass (if you have them). That gets your OM's down to 3, and frees up 10 points. If you're going to stick with having Knights in there (and playing at 600 points), I would cut Thorgrim for Sir Denrick. He can provide a heavy hitter against Dragons and is still an all-around solid hero. Your army would then look like this:

Captain America - 220
Sir Denrick - 320
Knights of Weston x2 - 460
4th Mass x2 - 600

When I look at that, I feel like it might be better if you traded Cap for Charos, and Denrick for Gilbert, even though you lose Cap's special attack and aura. I much prefer this Valiant 600 pointer that ditches the Knights altogether:

Captain America - 220
4th Mass x5 - 570
Eldgrim - 600

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:26 AM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

An alternate to Killercactus'

Captain America
x2-x3 KOW
x2-x3 4th Mass
Eldgrim

Has a little bit of bonding still. Id probably give the x3 to the 4th though. Without Gil, the KOW arent as up to snuff as they usually can be.
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:59 AM

You are right killercactus I do not have alot of figures. All I have is as follows.

Rise of the Valkyrie Master Set (the Wal-Mart exclusive with the Onyx Vipers)
Marvel Master Set
and the 1 of each of the following expansions
Road to the Forgotten Forest
Knights & The Swog Rider
Minute Men & Wolves
Shades & Orcs
Zombies of Morindan
Heroes of the Molten Sea

But I do appreciate all the advice, I am hoping to get some more sets soon.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion