Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old September 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Site Admin

funrun is surprisingly tart
"How to Get your Girlfriend to Play (Video) Games"

I have seen this topic come up on every fan site this game has had, and today I ran accross this article that I think has many merits.
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Your-Girl...ay-Video-Games

That last tip there is really key!

funrun's HS Repaints
Read my blog for interesting randomness as it comes to me.
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:43 AM
ultradoug

theres some blog where this girl talks about video games and why she played this one. but, i cant link to it.
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM

bluekitsune13 has disabled reputation
All I need now is a girlfriend. Haha.

Old September 8th, 2006, 11:49 AM

brotharon has disabled reputation
Hmmmm, I have gotten my girlfriend to play video games...she really likes Dead Rising...but then again she also likes Heroscape and is always keeping an eye out for when shipments of expansions come in at the local stores (read: I hate shopping).

I agree with most of that blog, the game that I used to get my GF hooked was Mario Party...the kicker was that I had to buy her a stupid Gamecube in order to do it...

brotharon is Eldgrim...
in th' QUICKSILVER CAVE...Kill aw day, bevvy aw nicht.
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
How to Get your Girlfriend to Play (Video) Games:

Play naked.

Err... no, wait. That's how girlfriends get their boyfriends to STOP playing videogames...

Okay, then... How to Get your Girlfriend to Play (Video) Games:

Date Jessica Chobot.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:13 PM

bushi96 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekitsune13
All I need now is a girlfriend. Haha.
Funny, that was the last item in the above list.

"I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat animals who are"
~G. Marx~
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation
Maybe it is just me but it doesn't bother me that my wife doesn't play video games or board games with me. For that matter she doesn't really like Sci-fi, Fantasy or Horror in general

We may not have those things in common but it is all the other things that we do have in common that got us together and keep us together. She has her hobbies, I have my hobbies and then we have all the other things we like doing together.

Like I said, maybe it's just me.

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun
Getting girlfriends/wives to play video games is a slippery slope. If you try to get her to play vg and she is not interested, that borders on trying to change her. If you try to change her you are sending at least two messages. 1. She is not everything you desire and you want a little more. This will negatively affect her faith in the relationship. 2. This will tell her that it is OK to try and change you into something more compatible with her. There is no end to the dysfunction if the two of you start to change each other.

The better route would be to find a gf/wife that accepts you for who you are. It is not so important that she joins you in everything you do, it is more important that she allows you the choice to spend your time as you see fit. The difficulty comes in balancing time between a gf/wife and a hobby. How you come to the agreement on how much time is appropriate is up to each couple.

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:23 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougabot
If you try to change her you are sending at least two messages. 1. She is not everything you desire and you want a little more. This will negatively affect her faith in the relationship. 2. This will tell her that it is OK to try and change you into something more compatible with her. There is no end to the dysfunction if the two of you start to change each other.
MAN, this is a hugely important relationship concept slipped into a light thread!

In my experience, what you have just stated is a female directive - that you try not to change them (because they like who they are, etc).

This is all a smokescreen.

This is way too deep to go into on a messageboard, but I'll just say this - don't buy that handcuffed approach.
The REAL thing to remember about that "don't try to change me" approach, is that if the person was truly committed to the relationship, they wouldn't mind changing to be unselfish and support the relationship better, if it was made clear that the change was for the better of both.

An edict to never change is an BIG-TIME rationalization, that masks feelings of insecurity, inadequacy, and selfishness.

And there's your p/sychoanalysis for the day.

Now, as for this funny article, I loved these parts:
Quote:
Warnings

Don't get games that involve things like strippers, prostitutes, and sex. She probably won't like it.

Things You'll Need

The ability to not be an idiot with you lose or get frustrated when playing.
Most importantly: A GIRLFRIEND!
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
My wife and I play Scrabble and any game that our children or grandchildren are playing. She doesn't play HS, but likes looking at and making suggestions about the maps. She's played it with the grandkids, but not me. We don't compete. Instead, we spend time each week (usually several times, depending on our schedules) reading to each other. That satisfies the need that mutual gaming might have met. She's not at all jealous of my HeroScaping, and enjoys the guys who come over to play. Some of them bring their girl friends (they're all younger than we are) and the women go off and do Lord-knows-what (I do NOT want to know) while we guys hack and blast away.

It's not perfect, but it's worked for over 35 years this week, so I'm not changing it, that's for sure!
Old September 8th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun
I am not saying that changing is bad in a relationship. There is a huge difference between trying to change her and her changing to be more supportive of you. The former is an edict and the later is a selfless decision that is at the very heart of a good relationship. It is all dependent on who is pushing (or forcing) it. You want to be in a relationship of the later variety.

You are right Reaper, this is a very serious matter to be discussing on a board, but you are dead on in your observation. Voluntary change is a great thing, you are lucky to get a mate who is willing to do that. Coerced or forced change is deadly to a relationship. The great advice on this page is for a couple who is making the change voluntarily.

I have found the best game to introduce a gf/wife to is Lego Star Wars. It is cooperative, easy to play, fun, cute, funny, no real death involved, impossible to lose and diverse in play styles.

This whole conversation twist reminds me of a joke our preacher told us during the preparation for our wedding

A nervous young bride-to-be was counseled by her pastor:
"When you enter the church tomorrow, you will only be walking down the aisle you've walked down many times before. Concentrate on that. And when you get halfway down the aisle, concentrate on the altar, where you and your family have worshipped for so many years. Concentrate on that. And as you reach the end of the aisle, your groom will be waiting for you. Concentrate on him."
It worked to perfection, and on her wedding day, the beautiful but nervous bride walked smoothly down the aisle in her processional. But people in the audience were a bit taken aback to hear her repeating to herself, all the way down the aisle, "Aisle, altar, him. Aisle, altar, him."

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old September 9th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Most Wanted

HyperactiveSloth is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
It's not perfect, but it's worked for over 35 years this week, so I'm not changing it, that's for sure!
I may not be as old and wise as some, but I've learned alot about relationships from the experiences of myself and others. All I have to say is,"If it's worked for over 35 years...it is perfect."

...MASQUERADE Registration Now Underway... (Click for Details)

[Don't have "permission"? ...Click Here to give yourself access...]

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General