Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:11 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal View Post
Dean R. Koontz - Frankenstein --- so far this is just awesome, I will need the 2nd 2 of the serious I can tell.

I just finished the first of the LOTR, always a great read, it was fun to compare it to the movies.
I'm so glad you mentioned the Frankenstein novles. I read the first 2 several years ago, but there was a 4-year delay before the 3rd so I was left hanging. I need to go re-read these now that the series is continuing.
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:43 AM

colonel_homestar is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Currently I'm reading,
1. The Bible
2. Dragons of Summer Flame
3. Lord of th Rings: The Fellowship
4. World War: In the Balance
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
My potted reviews of some of Stephenson's works...
I enjoyed Snow Crash, but it wasn't the masterpiece I was led to believe from all the hype. I'd give it a B+. It's bubblegum science fiction--all style and very little substance--and unfortunately, like bubblegum, it loses its flavor after awhile. It starts with one of the most exciting and cinematic openings I've read but that scene sets a high bar for the rest of the novel that just isn't met.

To me Snow Crash read more like a screenplay in novel form, with scenes of cinematic action strung together with otherwise unmemorable plot. Some of the elements (cybernetic pit-bulls, depleted uranium railguns, an Aleut assassin with a revenge complex and an atom bomb) were just so over-the-top that they seemed almost out-of-genre, straying out of science fiction and into the realm of comic books; more "Tank Girl" than "Neuromancer".

I've also read The Big U by Stephenson (tip: don't) and I felt like it gave me some insight into his writing. I get the impression that he first imagines scenes that he thinks will have a high cool factor (LARPers in the steam tunnels under campus fighting escaped giant radioactive lab rats, for example) and then finds a way to work them into the story. Maybe this is just a characteristic of his early work, but it's discouraged me from reading anything further by him.
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am reading Columbine right now.
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

Just finished "Why Revival Tarries" by Leonard Ravenhill. One of the more inspiring books I've read that spurred me on to pray more. Finishing up round 2 of the New Testament this semester and also starting the Chronicles of Narnia series for fun. It's been a while since I read them last.

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old September 28th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Picked up Kevin Baker's Dreamland at the library today & the first few pages look good.

I just finished The Angel's Game, a follow up to Shadow of the Wind which I wrote about a page or two ago. It was a good companion novel, not as strong but I really enjoyed it.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:08 PM

NilfheimPwns is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_homestar View Post
Currently I'm reading,
1. The Bible
2. Dragons of Summer Flame
3. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
4. World War: In the Balance
Me too.

Old September 28th, 2010, 05:32 PM

Nivik23 is surprisingly tart

Toll The Hounds

Great series, but really hard to remember who did what with so many characters. Definately a series you'll want to read without many time lapses in-between book.

NiV23
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

Hunting Eichmann. It's a book about how the Mossad tracked down Eichmann after the war (Compeletely real account). A little advanced (I'm 12), but interesting.
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:13 AM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Finished Deadly Edge and Slayground. Two Parker novels by Richard Stark. Both excellent.

Reading Night of the Living Trekkies by Kevin David Anderson and Sam Stall now. Pretty entertaining for what it is, so far. If you like Star Trek, great. If you like Zombies, even better. It’s a win-win.

Old October 1st, 2010, 02:29 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
A Game of Thrones
Fantastic series, but be ready to join the legions of ticked off fans who have been waiting for book five for 5 years.
Read it anyways. It is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougabot View Post
Star Trek: Sorrows of the Empire

Good little niche book, if your niche happens to be the mirror universe.
Is this a one-off mirror universe book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdet View Post
I've just started Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe's Triumph". A fantastic read about Wellington's army in India!
This is only one of an entire series of good books about Sharpe that was made into a series for TV.

A couple of good books that you may never have heard of:

The Worm Ouroboros by Eric Rucker Eddison. Epic fantasy with a very neat twist at the end.

The Disappearance by Philip Wylie. Facinating concept that needs to be updated and made into a movie. I think Wylie also wrote a book about a champion gladiator who gets frozen, and gets thawed out in the present day.
Old October 1st, 2010, 02:45 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougabot View Post
Star Trek: Sorrows of the Empire

Good little niche book, if your niche happens to be the mirror universe.
Is this a one-off mirror universe book?
This is a one-off book. It takes spans Mirror Mirror through ST6, but is stands alone as far as a read.

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books