Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media
Other Media Books, Music, Movies, Television, Comics, etc.

View Poll Results: X-Men: The Last Stand...
...was a great movie! 15 44.12%
...could have been better. 15 44.12%
...sucked! 3 8.82%
...is not worth renting or wasting a rainy Sunday watching on network television. 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27th, 2006, 02:48 AM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker
Ooh, one more thing I should say. I only read a dozen or so XMens in my youth. So I'm a fan, but not a diehard. You aren't a comic nut, are you ?

Sudema is top notch in Heroscape: Legacy. Try out this alternative unit cost system at your next game day or tournament.
Old May 27th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Grindmaster

allskulls has disabled reputation
Yeah, I know Jean will be back and Xavier transfered his consciousness into that mindless man but what about Scott? Sure they can always write him back in some way (like comics do anyway) but my point is the he is the staple figure for the X-Men (not Wolverine...he's just most popular) and he has 2 scenes.

I like good pointless action movies too. Rush Hour 2 was good. But this was X-Men. X-Men was already becoming something good as a movie franchise. The depth and emotion of the characters is what was making it happen. Action is easy. Make me feel the characters first and I'll be more involved with the intensity of the action. It should have mattered more when Scott died (or even was presumed dead). None of the major scenes mattered because the characters didn't matter.
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:01 AM

DarkSpade Woo who?
Personally, this was the X-men movie I've been waiting for. I never expected any of them to have a good plot. I was there for the action, and X3 had it in spades! Beast and Multiple Man were done so perfectly. (Really, the next movie needs to have Multiple man in it far more.) X3 was this fanboy's dream.

I don't like how they killed off scot either, but let's face it, he had the flatest charactor in all 3 movies. They never did anything with him, so they might as well have killed him off.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby!
I won't say it sucked. It was definately better than Fantastic Four or Elektra.

I agree the early dismissal/casting aside/killing off/whatever of Scott Summers/Cyclops was completely unnecessary. And then for the X-Men to just gloss over it was worse. . .

I realize that this is a movie, and I have no problem with a producer's/director's artistic license (Juggernaut a mutant, not a magical entity), but you shouldn't break all the canons of an established storyline (one of the things that made The Hulk such a terrible movie IMHO). They should have put a lot more thought into the "brotherhood", pheonix, cure, etc. These things were either too easily applied (little or no development), or mis-applied entirely.

Also, who didn't see what happened after the end credits coming? But then again I'm the guy that predicted the "surprise" in The Sixth Sense.

Buddy Lee

"Out of all the ridiculous religion stories...the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah, there's this big, giant universe...and we're all just here, just 'cuz. Just 'cuz." - Trey Parker
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Sydcomebak Woo who?
So what did I miss after the credits?

I figured Xavier transferred his consciousness somewhere, I just assumed to Logan or Eric. After the "Moral Dilema" speech, it didn't take much to figure that one out.

We never saw Scott die. Period.

#1 comic book rule: If you didn't see it happen, it didn't happen.
#2 comic book rule: People that you saw die, will come back.

So we've got Scott and Charles covered. I think it's time for a time paradox, and Cable to make a visit to bring Jean back.. 3/3, what do I win?
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:20 AM

DarkSpade Woo who?
I really doubt/hope time travel, aliens, and magic never makes it into an x-men film. Just wouldn't work.

syd, remember the scene where they're talking about the guy with no brain activity? Remember how Proffessor X smiled right before he died?

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:37 PM
This week: Joah 2 Nwojedi 0

Joah has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydcomebak

#1 comic book rule: If you didn't see it happen, it didn't happen.
#2 comic book rule: People that you saw die, will come back.
You hit the nail on the head Syd. Funny. I've heard two things regarding the X-men film franchise;1) They'll be taking a long break from the X-men as a team. Just do a series of Wolvie movies for awhile. 2) If you ever read a single paragraph, of a single issue, this movie would be a HUGE letdown. If you've never read the book, you might come out with an "It was okay, I guess.".
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Grindmaster

Well, I am a comic fan, but I am not a nut. I liked 1 and 2 even though the characters were way off (but getting better). I realize that bringing a comic into the movie scene will sometimes lose some things. I'm fine with Juggernaut as a mutant (I expected that). It was just a bad movie period. Comic fan or not. I do admit that knowing the comic will make it worse but 1 and 2 were as much off as 3 was but they were good movies that I enjoyed.

A fanboy would say, "Why is Phoenix following Magneto?". I would say, "No problem with Phoenix following Magneto but explain it...show a struggle in Jean as to what her direction is...give a better tie between Erik and Jean in the back story...etc..."

If the movie is good only because there was some good action sequences then what your looking for in a movie is entirely different than what I look for. If I go see Jackie Chan I expect comedy and action (cool stunts) but won't be let down if the plot is lacking (since that's usually the case). But if I go see a movie (comic fandom aside) that follows a sequal that was tons better than the original because it had better depth (not to mention action) then I would expect it to live up to the name beit X-Men, Mission Impossible (which I heard was better than the first 2), Dumb and Dumbererest, or whatever.

I won't tell anyone not to watch this movie. You make you own judgement. I won't be seeing it again though like I usually do with good comic films.
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Heroscape Architect Extraordinaire

caravaggio is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joah
If you ever read a single paragraph, of a single issue, this movie would be a HUGE letdown. If you've never read the book, you might come out with an "It was okay, I guess.".
this is probably the case in general. i think i read few of the comics my friend gave me in 1990 and was pretty bored (i dont read comics) so i would put myself in the "never read the book" category and i would say "it was okay, i guess".

i dont remember liking the first one but i kinda remember liking the second (i havent seen it since it was in the theatre). i definately thought 2 was better. the really sad part is that its not just x-men. almost all movies (especially the big blockbuster action movies) are total crap and all are about special effects and action and have little or no story.

it probably just because i dont really care all that much about the x-men, but it didn't leave me wanting to kill myself like star trek nemesis or wanting to kill george lucas like episode III.

its just too bad there aren't more movies these days like spider-man 2. granted, it's not to hard to stand out as a good movie these days, but i really thought spider-man 2 had the STORY and CHARACTERS to back up the special effects and justify the money spent making the movie.

my friend and i were discussing this after seeing xmen last night... if you are simply making a big special effects extravaganza then next year someone else is going to make an even bigger special effects extravaganza and everyone but the fanboys will forget about your crappy movie. however, style and substance are hard to do well and hard to repeat.

its okay to have a lot of special effects, but you'd better also have the style (like 2001) or the substance (like spider-man 2).

it would probably suck as a film, but if there was a good story it would fun to see toby macguire's spider-man team up with the x-men at some point.
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Grindmaster

Amen, caravaggio...except for the Toby teaming with X-Men part.
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Heroscape Architect Extraordinaire

caravaggio is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by allskulls
Amen, caravaggio...except for the Toby teaming with X-Men part.
you're probably right. i just thought it would be entertaining. didnt that happen in a comic at some point?
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:20 PM
ultradoug

I want to see it agian, I missed a few parts... it was OK. Just "ok"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media