Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Old October 25th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Project Pokemon Playtesting Thread: Kangaskhan and Bulbasaur

Welcome to the *NEW* Project Pokemon Playtesting Thread!

Note: This thread will be replacing the original Project Pokemon Playtesting Thread. All new Pokemon playtests will be posted and discussed in this forum. When Gastly finishes playtesting and passes to Finalization the original thread will become obsolete. Many thanks to jwind for all his work on the original thread.

The goal of this thread is to provide quality feedback on the effectiveness and in-game useability of Pokemon figures passed to us from the design thread. In order to ensure that the information provided in this thread is up to the highest standard, we ask that the following procedure be made for each Playtest:

Playtesting Procedure
1) Test the figure on a map that has a variety of terrain, elevation, and obsatacles that a figure would commonly encounter in the game of 'Scape. If you can, it is preffered that you attempt to use BoV maps as they provide more accurate results.

2) Playtest the figure in the following scenarios:
- play a minimum of three 1 on 1 matches against heroes with similar point values
- play at least three 1 on 1 matches against squads with a similar point value. If no similarly priced squads exist, you may use more than one squad in your test.
- Play the figure at least twice in an army. Each test should use a different army. The figure should have a place in each army based on its intended role; it is not to be thrown into any "A+ stuff" army as an afterthought. Both armies should be fairly balanced, remember its not which army wins, its how well the figure performed.

3) Provide a detailed post on your playtest. Include the pro's, con's, and overall flaws in the figure's design that you found while playing.

4) State whether or not you feel the figure is ready to pass as an official unit with either a YES or NO vote.

What to look for:

- THEME TEST/ Check to see if there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that does not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character would and could do. Also consider destructible objects, and whether or not this characters powers should affect them.

- MIRROR TEST/ Check to see if the unit were played against itself, if there would be any loops that would upset the balance of the Game.

- BONDING TEST/ Compare the unit card with all possible currently existing Bonding abilities to make sure there are no continual Bonding possibilities that do not stop appropriately or do not stop at all. This is to prevent loops in Bonding.

- SYNERGIES TEST/ Compare the unit card with all possible currently existing synergies to make sure there are no factors that could break the game by making any unit to powerful or too weak.

- POWER CHECK/ Consider the test unit and all existing units and all glyphs to compare to and check for any powers that could be over amplified and break the game. Each power must define when it takes place, who or what it affects, and What are the stipulations on the power if there are any.

- FUN TEST/ Consider whether or not the design was fun to play.

- FUN COMPETITIVE TEST/ Consider whether or not the design was fun to play against.

- DRAFTING TEST/ Consider whether or not this design is worth drafting.

- USAGE TEST/ Consider whether or not all of the powers on this card were used or at least usable.

- STRATEGY TEST/ Consider whether or not the design offers any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game.

Any member of Heroscapers.com may playtest a figure from Project Pokemon, and you're efforts are greatly appreciated.

Units must be playtested by a minimum of 4 people. After that, any Trainer can call for a vote to pass the unit. Voting follows standard Project Pokemon rules. Only Trainers and Jr. Trainers may vote, and only votes cast during the first 24 hours will be counted. After 24 hours, if a clear majority (a margin of 3 or more, such as 5-2, 6-3, etc...) has not been reached, the time may be extended.

If a unit passes it moves to the Finalization Thread. If a unit does not pass it must get reworked. For small changes, the unit may be fixed and re-playtested in the playtesting thread. If more discussion is required, the unit will be sent back to the design thread for fixing.

Current Units in Playtesting:

Kangaskhan

Bulbasaur

Up Next:
(Feel free to playtest the following units, but please don't post any playtest results for them until they move up to playtesting. We only want 2 Pokemon in playtesting discussion at a time. Thanks!)

DRATINI

SANDSLASH

WARTORTLE

MANKEY

LAPRAS

PARASECT

IVYSAUR

CHARIZARD

PIDGEOTTO

DRAGONAIR

BLASTOISE

JYNX

PRIMEAPE

KADABRA

HAUNTER

ONIX

VENUSAUR

Suggestions
For any of those wondering, here is an excellent example of how to show your playtesting results originally posted by tcglkn:
Spoiler Alert!

If you have any questions about playtesting, either post it in this thread or send me a PM.
Happy playtesting!

Last edited by White Knight; September 20th, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:19 AM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: Project Pokemon Playtesting Thread: Paras

Note: I did some preliminary testing of Paras this past weekend.

A few things to keep in mind:

1) This will be our first real tests of both Paralysis and Sleep Markers. Magnemite had the chance to inflict Paralysis, but it was very small and didn't really come into play.

2) Because this is the first real tests of Paralysis and Sleep, we need to be open to possibly changing the effects somewhat. Keep that in mind while playtesting, and be thinking of any improvements we can make to the effects.
Old October 26th, 2010, 08:55 PM

NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker

Got it.

OBTW: In Effect Spore, it should read, "Sleep status markers cannot be placed... The FRENZY ability."

If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?
America is the only place in the world where a pizza delivery guy gets to your house faster than an ambulance.
--NightSwipe--
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSwipe View Post
Got it.

OBTW: In Effect Spore, it should read, "Sleep status markers cannot be placed... The FRENZY ability."
It's misspelled as a result of the automatic keyword ability in MSE. It will be fixed on the final card.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Nostradumbass

DrAwsm is surprisingly tart

All tests for Paras were done on Fen_Hydra’s map “The Short Street.”

Paras Battle Reports - Heroes
NOTE: All I have for 30 point heroes is the Wyrmlings. Therefore, my reports may be a bit skewed.

Spoiler Alert!

Paras VS. Squads
Spoiler Alert!

Paras in a 400-point army
Paras x4, Charos, Darrak Ambershard- Player 1
Deathwalker 9000, Warriors of Ashra x2, Othkurik the Black Dragon
Spoiler Alert!

Paras, like Gastly before it, is useful especially with heroes. While in my tests it only paralyzed the White Wyrmling for heroes, it also paralyzed the WoA. This is where I think Paras can shine, in paralyzing squad members.

My biggest mistake in my army test was disengaging Charos from all those WoA. I wasn;t paying attention to his wounds, and if I had, I probably could’ve won that match. The Paras really had to be the MVP for Player 1 simply because they helped slow down the WoA. If they could’ve gotten to DW9K, they probably could have put it to sleep, giving Charos a breather from all his attacks. Unfortunately, that’s not how it went.

I think, since Paras is a common hero, it will be used best as support, rather than a main force. He helps more to slow down the enemy so that units like Charizard and Scyther can rush in and destroy them. His survivability is pretty good, especially with his four defense, so that helps him get to his target much easier than Gastly.

All in all, I really like Paras. I hope Parasect has his abilities, but helps pack more of a punch so he brings more to the table.
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My idea for Parasect was a red skull like ability that let you take multiple turns with Paras. This was a compromise because most of us didn't want Paras as a squad, which was my idea. However if you keep up the quality playtests I'd be happy to give the design to you.

Old November 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Added Kangaskhan and Bulbasaur to the first page of this thread, but please don't post results until we finish with Gastly or Paras.
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:25 PM

NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker

Here's a playtest for Paras...

All maps were played on BoV map Embattled Fen.

Hero Test 1: vs. Guilty McCreech Paras Wins
Spoiler Alert!

Hero Test 2: vs. Theracus Paras Wins
Spoiler Alert!

Hero Test 3: vs. Me-Burq-Sa (2 playtests) Me-Burq-Sa Wins
Spoiler Alert!

Paras wins 2/3 Hero Tests.

Squad Tests:

Squad Test 1 vs. Marrden Nagrubs Nagrubs Win (2/3 left, 1 sleeping)
Spoiler Alert!

Squad Test 2 vs. Fyorlag Spiders Spiders Win (3/3 left, 1 Sleeping, 1 Paralyzed)
Spoiler Alert!

Squad Test 3 vs. Venoc Vipers Vipers Win (2/3 left, 1 paralyzed)
Spoiler Alert!

Paras wins 0/3 Squad Tests.

Army Tests:

Army Test 1: 2x Paras, Krav, Deathwalker 9000 vs. Izumi Samurai, Ne-Gok-Sa, 3x Marro Dividers. (Paras=Paras's Army, Divider=Divider Army)
Paras's Army Wins! (DW9K)
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test 2: 2x Paras, Raelin RotV, Othkurik the Black Dragon vs. 2x Fyorlag Spiders, Sujoah (Paras=Paras's Army, Spiders=Sujoah's Army)
Sujoah's Army Wins! (Paralyzed Sujoah with 3 life left, 3/6 Spiders, 2 Paralyzed Spiders)
Spoiler Alert!

Paras wins 1/2 Army Battles.

Final thoughts:

Paras is an extremely fun character to play, and his abilities are very well balanced. The abilities are effective enough to ensure something happens most of the time, but not so overpowering that the figures end up being a waste of points.
On the other hand, Paras's stats are just right, although I think he could use a move boost. I don't know how we are going to fit it on the card, but...
He is easy enough to kill, but hardy enough to ensure he Paralyzes/puts to sleep his point value.
An excellent glyph/choke point holder.
His only real weakness is range, but this is good because it is his weakness. On second thought, this plus the low move value balances him quite well.
All in all, a very nice figure, the Deathreaver of Pokescape.
I recommend Passing him at 30 points.

America is the only place in the world where a pizza delivery guy gets to your house faster than an ambulance.
--NightSwipe--

Last edited by NightSwipe; November 7th, 2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Added the last Playtest. Above is a complete Paras playtest.
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:12 PM

PARAS PLAYTEST
HEROES

All battles played on White Knight’s symmetric custom Middle Lake map:

Dumatef Guard (25 points) versus Paras(Note: there were no road tiles, so Dumatef was not at it’s best.)

Playtest #1
Spoiler Alert!

-->Dumatef wins

Playtest #2
Spoiler Alert!

-->Dumatef wins

Playtest #3
Spoiler Alert!

-->Dumatef wins

Playtest #4
Spoiler Alert!

-->Paras wins

Playtest #5
Spoiler Alert!

-->Paras wins

Playtest #6
Spoiler Alert!

-->Paras wins

Nerak the Glacian Swog Rider (50 points) versus 2x Paras(Note: there were no snow tiles, so Nerak was not at his best.)

Playtest #1
Spoiler Alert!

-->Paras wins (1/2 Paras left)

Playtest #2
Spoiler Alert!

-->Paras wins (2/2 Paras left)

Playtest #3
Spoiler Alert!

-->Nerak wins (3/3 life left)

Arkmer (50 points) versus 2x Paras

Playtest #1
Spoiler Alert!

-->Arkmer wins (3/3 life left)

Playtest #2
Spoiler Alert!

-->Arkmer wins (3/3 life left)

Playtest #3
Spoiler Alert!

-->Paras win (1/2 Paras left)

Playtest #4
Spoiler Alert!

-->Arkmer wins (2/3 life left)

Brave Arrow (50 points) versus 2x Paras

Playtest #1
Spoiler Alert!

-->Brave Arrow wins (1/4 life left)

Playtest #2
Spoiler Alert!

-->Brave Arrow wins (1/4 life left)

I'll post squad tests soon. After that, I'll post my comments.
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM

PARAS PLAYTEST
SQUADS

All battles played on White Knight’s symmetric custom Middle Lake map:

Marrdan Nagrubs (30 points) versus Paras

Playtest #1
Spoiler Alert!

-->Paras wins

Playtest #2
Spoiler Alert!

-->Nagrubs win (3/3 Nagrubs left)

Playtest #3
Spoiler Alert!

-->Paras wins

Playtest #4
Spoiler Alert!

-->Nagrubs win (3/3 Nagrubs left)

Marro Warriors (50 points) versus 2x Paras

Playtest #1
Spoiler Alert!

-->Marro Warriors win (3/4 Marro left)

Playtest #2
Spoiler Alert!

-->Marro Warriors win (4/4 Marro left)

Tarn Viking Warriors (50 points) versus 2x Paras

Playtest #1
Spoiler Alert!

-->Tarn Vikings win (4/4 Tarn left)

Playtest #2
Spoiler Alert!

-->Tarn Vikings win (4/4 Tarn left)

Playtest #3
Spoiler Alert!

-->Tarn Vikings win (2/4 Tarn left)
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM

PARAS EVALUATION
Note: I still need to do my army tests, but I wanted to summarize the results so far.

Overall Design
Effect Spore is thematic to Paras and I really like it as an ability.

Battle Analysis
Paras split battles versus the Nagrubs and Dumatef Guard. But Dumatef wasn't on road spaces, and the Nagrubs are mostly food for Su-bak-na.

Paras did well against Nerak, but Nerak had unused Bonding and no snow.

Paras did OK versus Brave Arrow. Sleep worked really well to keep Brave Arrow from attacking. Sleep also worked well against Arkmer in one battle, but most of the time Arkmer's 4 attack just blew Paras away. Also, Arkmer could attack from range.

The Marro and the Tarn crushed Paras. Even when one or two figures got Paralyzed or put to Sleep, his buddies would be there to take Paras out. The Marro especially, with their 6 range, were just too much for the Paras.

Suggestions
1) 4 move without any movement enhancers is really slow. Zettians only move 4, but they have a defense of 7. Increase Paras's move to 5.

2) Paralysis was good 1/4 of the time, but the movement slowdown was useless. By the time the figures were paralyzed, they were already close enough that they didn't need to use a full move. Most of the time, rolling for paralysis was just a lot of extra dice rolling with no effect. Reduce movement for Paralyzed figures to 1/2 movement instead of -1 to Move to make it more useful.

At least once that would have prevented a Paralyzed Nerak from reaching the second Paras in a single turn.

3) Sleep was good, but it seems weird that figures can defend just as well while asleep. I suggest that Sleeping figures roll 1 less Defense die and can't make leaving engagement attacks.

Paras would have beaten Brave Arrow both times if Brave Arrow had -1 Defense.

4) Paras was fun to play, but not very effective for the points. Lower Paras to 20 points.

5) Another option, instead of changing speed and points, is to increase Paras's Defense to 5.

Conclusion
The above are just suggestions I was thinking of during the battles. I'll get a better feel for Paras when it goes against some higher point melee heroes in an army battle.
Old November 10th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Suggestions
1) 4 move without any movement enhancers is really slow. Zettians only move 4, but they have a defense of 7. Increase Paras's move to 5.

2) Paralysis was good 1/4 of the time, but the movement slowdown was useless. By the time the figures were paralyzed, they were already close enough that they didn't need to use a full move. Most of the time, rolling for paralysis was just a lot of extra dice rolling with no effect. Reduce movement for Paralyzed figures to 1/2 movement instead of -1 to Move to make it more useful.

At least once that would have prevented a Paralyzed Nerak from reaching the second Paras in a single turn.

3) Sleep was good, but it seems weird that figures can defend just as well while asleep. I suggest that Sleeping figures roll 1 less Defense die and can't make leaving engagement attacks.

Paras would have beaten Brave Arrow both times if Brave Arrow had -1 Defense.

4) Paras was fun to play, but not very effective for the points. Lower Paras to 20 points.

5) Another option, instead of changing speed and points, is to increase Paras's Defense to 5.

Conclusion
The above are just suggestions I was thinking of during the battles. I'll get a better feel for Paras when it goes against some higher point melee heroes in an army battle.
I agree with 1, 2, 3, and 5. But as said, these are suggestions, and, IMO, Paras is a very playable unit without these changes.

--NightSwipe--

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum