Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old March 1st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Warmachine/Hordes by Privateer Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Hmm, I wouldn't mind giving the game a shot again under this new system. I was definitely a casual player and getting wiped by the hardcore combo players got old quickly. This may be the fresh air I needed.
I was in the same boat and disliked that a good amount of older figures were almost worthless in the game. With the release of MKII, they released all new card decks for the Warmachine factions but you can also just buy single cards from the PP website if you just want a few cards for a faction.

I don't mind purchasing the new book and the cards for my factions but remain in a wait-and-see mode with the game before purchasing a lot of new figures. I want to see if PP learned their lesson about power creep and how it can ruin a game (so far it looks like they have).

Newb.

Last edited by LilNewbie; March 1st, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM

Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby! Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby! Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby! Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby! Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby!

I'm thinking to Start Warmachine, but I'm not sure on how much it will cost me.

First, how much is normal Army going to put me back?

And second, where can I buy the Warjacks? I looked at Privateer Presses Store, and I could only find Boxed Sets (Which I would probably grab one of those to start anyways, but still)

And Finally, how Balanced/Fun is it? Is it a more relaxed game, or a Game where you must Min/Max or lose Horribly?

EDIT: THinking of starting Cryx. I like the look of their Warjacks.

Last edited by Anthasu1; March 3rd, 2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Cost: You can play very small games with a Warcaster and a few Warjacks and you can get an army from a Battlebox (one caster and jacks). That's about $60.00 retail (cheaper online). The soft cover rulebook is $29.99 and you will need a faction deck ($18.99) which has all the updated cards for the newest version for a specific faction (Cryx, Menoth, etc.) So you are looking at about $75.00 to $110.00 (depending on where you purchase the items). I would recommend finding a store or group that has players and ask them to show you the game before investing in it. That way if it doesn't grab you, you aren't out any money.

Availability: You can purchase most of the items from either EBay or online stores like www.miniaturemarket.com and www.thewarstore.com (both are great stores). If you have a nearby FLGS, I recommend trying to support them as much as you can (sometimes it's not feasible and I understand that too).

Balance: The new version, MK II, reset a lot of units to make them more balanced than the previous version so the game is fairly balanced right now. Time will tell if PP has learned their lesson about keeping power creep to a minimum (I'm hoping they have). The abilities of units do get better if used in concert with other units so there is a form of synergy you will have to learn for your faction. BUT, there are a lot of fun combos and the dampening of powers have limited a lot of the abusive combos that used to exist. I tend to play very casual and have a blast trying out stuff. For right now, tactics on the board are more important than just building a specific push-button win army (like it used to be).

It is a fun game and PP does a fantastic job on their miniature line. Also, PP has a great support forum if you have questions and they are pretty responsive to player's concerns and issues. The storyline is actually pretty good too.

Hope that helps you out.

Newb.
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby! Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby! Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby! Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby! Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby!

Thanks Newb. One more Question: I've decided not to go Cryx, and am instead planning a Khador Army. I'm thinking of Buying a Starter Set, a Plastic Jack (For a Defimator), and a Commander. Are these decent Choices, and is there anything else you'd reccomend for a starting Khador Player?
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:39 PM

The Khador starter box comes with Scorscha (Warcaster) and two Warjacks (Destroyer and Juggernaut). So with your choices above that will give you 3 'Jacks and that's a pretty good start. For a second Warcaster (commander), I would recommend the Butcher. I think that is a great start and let's you play two different Warcasters with the 3 Warjacks for variety.

FYI, You will also need the 2010 Khador Faction Deck and the rulebook to play the game.

Newb.
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:30 AM

Played another 35 point game. This time I used my favorite Warmachine faction: The Mercs!! I used a Magnus Agenda list (Tier 1) versus a Retribution army. Magnus is so much better now in MK II. Pulled out a win by sticking to high ground (which makes figures more difficult to hit when targeted by ranged/magic attacks) and using Orin Midwinter's Null Zone (no spell casting within 12" of Orin) to stop a good portion of the Ret's units from being able to use their Magic ranged attacks. Overall, a fun game and good learning experience using the MK II rules for both of us.

Newb.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:59 PM

DarkJawa Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthasu1 View Post
Thanks Newb. One more Question: I've decided not to go Cryx, and am instead planning a Khador Army. I'm thinking of Buying a Starter Set, a Plastic Jack (For a Defimator), and a Commander. Are these decent Choices, and is there anything else you'd reccomend for a starting Khador Player?
Welcome to the Motherland! I am also a Khador player. The one thing you will have to get used to is that Khador is SLOW! All of our warjacks are speed 4, while all other army's jacks are 5 or 6. What we lack in speed we make up in brute power and high armor.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:52 PM
South Florida Wave 8 Grand Champion

Blue Dane is surprisingly tart

I know I'm necro-threading, but the new battle engines are awesome. I took a break from the game for a while, but I'm hoping to get warmed up again and get a few games in before the battle engines are available.

Here are some pics of battle engines:

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine.../wraith-engine

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine...-/gun-carriage

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine...orce-generator

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine.../storm-strider

I love the look of the Storm Strider and of course the Wraith Engine.

Can't find it? Try the Index | Live in Florida? Belated National Heroscape Day in SoFL
South Florida Game Days |
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:37 AM

The Doctor is surprisingly tart

I am really intrigued by this game, I am looking at the Cygnar battle box. What is this game like?

Last edited by The Doctor; May 17th, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
I am really intrigued by this game, I am looking at the Cygnar battle box. What is this game like?

Its a very good game. Great amount of depth, fun, and variety for armies and play styles. Can be adapted into many different types of scenarios as well as straight battle, can be played with any number of players, can be played at very small levels, or in larger scales. Very large scales just recently got new rules for alternating activations instead of "I go, you go" because of the number of figs you'll have at higher point totals.

Great figures, easy to put together for the most part; made by a game company that most of its customer base is still pretty happy with (someone humorously suggested that one of their rulebooks come with the subtitle: "We're the one game company you're not mad at."

A big selling point is that the game is complex and offers a lot of options, yet after a few playthroughs, the entirety of its rules can be put to memory, and all figures come with stat cards, so no constant table checking or rule reading.

Anyone familiar with Heroscape will find a lot of familiarity with Units (squads), Warjacks/Warbeasts (Unique, Uncommon Heroes), Solos (Unique/Common heroes), and such.

Game can be played on a standard table, or you can customize your terrain. HS stuff makes for good way to set down forests or water or ruins.

Can be addicting, and therefore expensive. Buy online where you can get it for 20-25% off. Get your friends into it; make them buy other factions so you guys can create a shared pool by which you have a good variety. Choose 1 or 2 factions as your primary and secondary and buy them up; tournaments are fairly prominent in a lot of areas. I might go with one warmachine faction, one Hordes faction to start, since you'll get a feeling for both Focus and Fury (Warmachine factions are resource management playstyle, while the Hordes factions use Risk management).

I have 5 Factions. Pretty overboard, although I'm building all 5 of them up VERY slowly.
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:16 PM

The game is a blast to play! It also has excellent miniatures, great storyline and online support via the Privateer website.

The new Warmachine and Hordes shirts have been posted. These will be available at GenCon and then on the Privateer online store afterwards.

Warmachine:

Hordes:

Looks like the Newbster will be picking up some new wardrobe at GC!

Newb.

Last edited by LilNewbie; May 20th, 2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:46 PM

Zarash has disabled reputation

Sorry about the Necro.

I just started playing on vassal. If anyone is interested in playing there my name there is Zarak.

So far I have played 2 games against advanced players and lost the first game horribly, and the second game I had to quit because I needed to get ready for work.

The game is fun. The only thing that I find wierd is your can do different attacks against your own units. So if you want to pick up one of your own guys and throw it at your opponent its all legal. It takes a little while getting used to that.

I lost my first match on Vassal because of that. He charged one of his pieces then afterwards he popped his feat with Kreoss which knocks down all of the opponents pieces in his control range. My warcaster got knocked down then he moved his jacks up and attacked her. When figures are knocked down they only have a base ranged defense of 5. So after both attacks she was done for.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures