Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
has been BANNED

Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby!
Heroscape etiquette

Hello, everyone

I recently went to a Heroscape tournament in (let's call it) anytownUSA. Let me begin by saying that I made it to the semi-finals and lost, thus finishing 3rd or 4th (same difference). I was pleased with my performance and the event in general and am very grateful to the organizer for staging it, especially since there are no other tournaments held within two hours' drive of where I live.

The people at the tournament were very nice and I have no complaints except one: they wouldn't stop talking. Now, I understand it's not a chess tournament, but they were chatting all around my games, even talking to my opponents and constantly distracting us. I asked them politely several times to please stop talking so close to us or at least to move off a bit and whisper.

It was no use. Even the organizer talked and talked during the game(s). At one point he even got irritated that I asked others to please be quiet. They were all standing or sitting around my games, making comments on the game itself too! Finally, I started talking.

Apparently, it's not cool for me to talk: just everyone else. My opponent in the semi-final got annoyed that I was talking while he was trying to think, but he spoke to nearly a dozen people around me while I was trying to think!

To show my goodwill to those there, I gave away my prize (a pack of Heroscape figures) to one of the children of the chatterers. This is the second time I've given away my prize. I say this to demonstrate that I truly appreciate them as people and have nothing against them except the verbarea.

Although the incessant chatter/observations did not affect my play directly, it greatly detracted from my enjoyment of the games. My question to you is: am I off-base? Do you find their behaviour acceptable? Would you allow it if you ran an event? Have you had a similar experience? Let's vent.

Last edited by Sarpedon; November 17th, 2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:57 PM

Lank281 knows what's in an order marker Lank281 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Heroscape etiquette

I really don't know what to say... I've never been to a tourney before so I don't know what to expect. All I can say is that I would probably be annoyed myself, if I was in that situation.
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
Hello, everyone

I recently went to a Heroscape tournament at (let's call it) anytownUSA. Let me begin by saying that I made it to the semi-finals and lost, thus finishing 3rd or 4th (same difference). I was pleased with my performance and the event in general and am very grateful to the organizer for staging it, especially since there are no other tournaments held within two hours' drive of where I live.

The people at the tournament were very nice and I have no complaints except one: they wouldn't stop talking. Now, I understand it's not a chess tournament, but they were chatting all around my games, even talking to my opponents and constantly distracting us. I asked them politely several times to please stop talking so close to us or at least to move off a bit and whisper.

It was no use. Even the organizer talked and talked during the game(s). At one point he even got irritated that I asked others to please be quiet. They were all standing or sitting around my games, making comments on the game itself too! Finally, I started talking.

Apparently, it's not cool for me to talk: just everyone else. My opponent in the semi-final got annoyed that I was talking while he was trying to think, but he spoke to nearly a dozen people around me while I was trying to think!

Although the incessant chatter/observations did not affect my play directly, it greatly detracted from my enjoyment of the games. My question to you is: am I off base? Do you find their behaviour acceptable? Would you allow it if you ran an event? Have you had a similar experience? Let's vent.
Chatter, discussion, observations, comments, etc are all part of a tournament atmosphere, IMHO.
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Well, don't we just seem like jerks. (J/K)
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:04 PM
has been BANNED

Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby! Sarpedon rolls all skulls baby!

Even if I did it, Cavalier? It wouldn't bother you if we were playing and others were constantly making observations, chatting with me and even addressing themselves to you and commenting on your play? Maybe you're just good at tuning others out. I must admit, I don't have that skill to any great degree.
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:20 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

The tournaments I've been to are 1 part competition and 1 part social event, so chatting is to be expected. Now I think it is common courtesy to not talk to someone extensively during their turn, but other than that I like the relaxed social atmosphere. Casual conversation may take away from the competitive atmosphere, but it adds to the friendly feel of the day.

If you were the only one annoyed by the talking, it sounds like your expectations are different than most players (not wrong - just not the group norms). You're probably going to have to learn to adjust if you want to continue playing in tournaments.
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I consider it part of the game. We play competitive, but it stays casual. I think a big part of it is who is generally attracted to the game. I enjoy meeting in person the cool people I've met here in the forums. A natural byproduct of that is wanting to talk when we play.
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Personally I wouldn't appreciate someone commenting on my game that was in progress. Its a tournament. I know its supposed to be fun and casual but it's still a competitive environment. If you have comments about play style and choices made, it can wait until the game is over with. If its just the fact that others are having discussions to close to you and its distracting you, Id say thats just an issue you need to get around.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM

Dualahorn knows what's in an order marker Dualahorn knows what's in an order marker

I would get annoyed if people started offering me their unwanted tips on my game.
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM
has been BANNED

Ok, I hear you guys. Maybe I need more ear wax. Fair enough, point taken. One question, though. How come my opponents got annoyed when I started chatting? Was it because I was (usually) winning too? If they can talk to others, and others to me, why can't I without upsetting them? Why the double standard?
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:37 PM

I'd say it would depend on what kind of social level a person has that determined how annoyed one would become. Me, I'm not a very social person. I'm not the type to go out, socialize, and meet new people. If I went to my first tourney, I would more likely not know anybody and simply be there for the game rather than the people. This is the reason why I'd say I would be annoyed by constant conversations between my opponent and whoever the hell he's talking to for such a long time. Although I haven't played any tourneys, I have played the manager at my FLGS a couple times. Whenever someone came in he would then give them his attention, which would of course distract the game. I do, however, look over it considering he has a shop to run and he's the only one who works there. I would say I would give attention to the people came in as well if I knew them on a personal level, but I didn't. It was all about the game for me... So like I said, it depends on a person's social level.

(281st post! )
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM

greenless is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubobj View Post
Personally I wouldn't appreciate someone commenting on my game that was in progress. Its a tournament. I know its supposed to be fun and casual but it's still a competitive environment. If you have comments about play style and choices made, it can wait until the game is over with. If its just the fact that others are having discussions to close to you and its distracting you, Id say thats just an issue you need to get around.

Exactly!! Comments on game play, can give hints to one player or the other and sway the game and should not be allowed.

Questions to players in game should be limited and only require yes and no answers. Opponents chatting with friends about"last night" or other trivial BS used to irritate me in the competitive CCG arena.

Chatting between 2 NON-PLAYERS should be encouraged, the whole point of the game day is the camaraderie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
Ok, I hear you guys. Maybe I need more ear wax. Fair enough, point taken. One question, though. How come my opponents got annoyed when I started chatting? Was it because I was (usually) winning too? If they can talk to others, and others to me, why can't I without upsetting them? Why the double standard?
They were probably trying to mess with you since you complained first. Lets face it alot of gamers are annoying brat kids.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion