Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old July 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM

Frank'n'stay Woo who?
Zetacron...underrated?

If this is the wrong place for this, I understand, as I am new. But I simply wanted to pose a question: Who else here thinks that Zeta doesn't get the rep he deserves? and why? It seems as if, in the new Aquilla's Alliance set, Zelrig is getting all the press and attention while Zetacron is left in the dust. I'll be the first to admit that Zelrig is a fantastic character, but is anyone else seeing this trend here?

Thoughts anyone? Are you a Zeta fan too?
Frank'n'stay
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:39 AM

cosmosis knows what's in an order marker cosmosis knows what's in an order marker
Re: Zetacron...underrated?

I'd have to agree with you here. I think Zelrig gets all the attention and press just because of him having an all-new ability.

Zetacron is just a beefed up version of the Omnicrons, so people know what to expect.

I'm with you though. Zetacron is awesome.

SPECIAL THANKS TO: oni, tppytel
My Tradelist
Deciper SWCCG Trading
List of Good Traders
Can't find it? Try the Index
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:42 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Only having life of 2 is what I think makes him a little disapointing. He could absolutely dominate a game if your rolling well for Deadly Shot, but he can also fall to a decent attack roll in the first round.

-insert signature here-
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Frank'n'stay Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Only having life of 2 is what I think makes him a little disapointing. He could absolutely dominate a game if your rolling well for Deadly Shot, but he can also fall to a decent attack roll in the first round.
I understand, but a large unique hero for only 60 points? Need I say more?
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:48 AM

cosmosis knows what's in an order marker cosmosis knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank'n'stay View Post
Quote:
I see your Zetacron and raise you Me-Burq-Sa, only 50 points!
As you are new here, I would like to direct you to a few links if you have not found them already:
The Books of All Units
Rulebooks in PDF
The Definitive Lists of a Lot of Useful Things
Better Posting and You

My Tradelist
Deciper SWCCG Trading
List of Good Traders
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:58 AM

Frank'n'stay Woo who?

I see your point. Thanks for the links too, but I had already been to most of them. I spent two days wandering around the site, looking at the rules and such before I joined.
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Frank'n'stay,

I'm seeing quite a bit of Zetacron love, but I can explain the Zelrig buzz if you'd like. There have been two reigning paradigms in the tournament scene for a while - Q9 armies and 4th Mass armies. Of the two of them, 4th Mass armies are more consistent. So anyone going to a tourney has needed to ask themselves "how do I defeat hordes of 4th Mass with the army I'm designing?" Zelrig, with his ability to devastate your opponent's commons still bunched in the starting area early in the game is very potent in that role. And so people are trying to come to terms with the shift taking place in the reigning paradigm - has Zelrig's introduction succeeded in making 4th Mass armies less competitive? More importantly, are they less competitive than other types of armies now? Zeta's a great fig, but he hasn't had that kind of sweeping effect on the metagame.

~Aldin, uncommonly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. He's great for his price, but IMO, I don't think you can build any army around him due to his fragility. Zeta is a great way to fill out with some extra range, but not a starting point IMO.

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; July 10th, 2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:08 AM

Renesis has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Re: Zetacron...underrated?

I agree that Zeta should be getting some love. He is cheap, has a high range, easly to make room for him in most armies, and packs a punch with height. He is the best in his price range IMHO. He makes a good middle game counter (good for at least a couple of wounds) to Mr. Q9 if he has some protection and height. Double attack with 3 or 4 dice will take out pretty much anything. He is a well rounded figure.

It seems that people are focused on Zelrig b/c he is a big hitter, which makes him a celebrity. Zetacron is more of a support figure, and as solid as he may be, he isn't strong enough to build an army around.

I do think they could have done a better job on his sculp, when his minions (Omnicrons) have some of the sweetest sculps in the game.

Who wouldn't want to be a Ninja???
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Frank'n'stay Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Frank'n'stay,

I'm seeing quite a bit of Zetacron love, but I can explain the Zelrig buzz if you'd like. There have been two reigning paradigms in the tournament scene for a while - Q9 armies and 4th Mass armies. Of the two of them, 4th Mass armies are more consistent. So anyone going to a tourney has needed to ask themselves "how do I defeat hordes of 4th Mass with the army I'm designing?" Zelrig, with his ability to devastate your opponent's commons still bunched in the starting area early in the game is very potent in that role. And so people are trying to come to terms with the shift taking place in the reigning paradigm - has Zelrig's introduction succeeded in making 4th Mass armies less competitive? More importantly, are they less competitive than other types of armies now? Zeta's a great fig, but he hasn't had that kind of sweeping effect on the metagame.

~Aldin, uncommonly
Ahhhh..... I see. I suppose my ignorance in that area would be due to my lack of tournament play. As I have stated in my introduction of myself, I am not a hardcore heroscaper. I am more of a collector, hence practicality is not very high on my list. Perhaps I will learn further in the future. But as for now, I will stick to the fact that Zetacron is a wicked cool looking heroscape figure!
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Frank'n'stay,

~Aldin, uncommonly
Ahhhh..... I see. I suppose my ignorance in that area would be due to my lack of tournament play. As I have stated in my introduction of myself, I am not a hardcore heroscaper. I am more of a collector, hence practicality is not very high on my list. Perhaps I will learn further in the future. But as for now, I will stick to the fact that Zetacron is a wicked cool looking heroscape figure!
Ah I missed that point too, for I have never played in a tournament. I'm more of the casual player with my at-home friends. I guess I could also be called a collector, as I just have to have all the non-exclusives (so i guess because of that fact I'm not that hardcore of a collector).

My Tradelist
Deciper SWCCG Trading
List of Good Traders
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Bahde knows what's in an order marker Bahde knows what's in an order marker

The other factor that reduces the WOW of Zeta is that he is much like Jello....there is always room for him in your army. The bigger point figures have to be the focus in building the army because of the limited room (points). I can take any two big'uns and still have room for Zeta and maybe a ninja.

For the tourny crowd, they prefer fewer cards as well - and that means quite often they have to decide between Zeta and another of their beloved squads.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units