Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM

SVD997 knows what's in an order marker SVD997 knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
(And I can hear the chorus saying, "Oh, great! He's saying old man things again. Let's see if he'll drool.)
Wow, you must be in a really, really nice retirement home if they have the internet.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Anyway, back on topic. I watched two of the videos. This guy is an idiot. I've been playing HS since it was first released, and I'm getting confused by the rules he's trying to explain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane
Sounds like he's from this fabled "Expert Village", except he's the village idiot.
You got that right.
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD997
Quote:
(And I can hear the chorus saying, "Oh, great! He's saying old man things again. Let's see if he'll drool.)
Wow, you must be in a really, really nice retirement home if they have the internet.
I believe its called Atari where he's at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, most retirement places now have that there internets and such thingies. I'm just looking to get HeroScape to replace Bingo. And I call the thing I use to stand up with a Deathwalker, but the other residents don't think that's so funny.
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Bach has disabled reputation
I guess they might find it... discouraging.

Bach is Marcus... and has been paralyzed by the minions of Ne-gok-sa in the SIENNA CAVE...
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Lank281 knows what's in an order marker Lank281 knows what's in an order marker
Responding to the original post, I've seen some of these videos before and I think this guy does a lousy job. One of the first things that bugs me is at the beginning of every video, he refers to it as a "table top RPG." There's nothing RPG about it, even though some of us are trying to make it that way (rule variants.) The second thing that bugged me was the videos on movement. He did okay on explaining it, but during many of his examples, he had figures move onto glyphs and kept going. As most of us know, when a figure moves onto a glyph it is suppose to stop. At this point I became frustrated with watching several videos upon videos, so out of curiosity (regarding my last little tick) I wanted to view his video on glyphs. The third and final thing that got to me was the glyph video. His example glyph was the Glyph of Ivor (+4 Range.) He moved an Einar Imperium onto the glyph and had it attack another figure 5 spaces away. This bothers me because the Glyph of Ivor ONLY affects figures with a range of 4 or more spaces. After this I couldn't stand to watch anymore.

He also takes a long time explaining things. I feel as if someone would have to devote a whole day to watch all of his videos, when most of us can explain the rules in 15 minutes. Plus he needs to re-read the rulebooks and get his facts straight…

Last edited by Lank281; April 13th, 2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM

pomme has disabled reputation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWU2irPhsGc

This is my favorite one. It made me shoot snot out of my nose laughing.

"Adjacentness" "The soldier guy" "The dwarf guy"...
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM

Lank281 knows what's in an order marker Lank281 knows what's in an order marker
OMG! Is he serious?! Is he really serious?!
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM

Sir Graves has disabled reputation
Saw these a long time ago as well. And they bug me, too (though it is nice to see any HS on YouTube, ultimately). Yep, that "RPG" term on all the vids always makes me roll my eyes. And the way this guy ends every single sentence like a question ("So this is how you move figures in Heroscape? Check the army card to see how many movement points it has? Move the figure that many spaces? Elevations will affect its movement?"...), drives me insane very quickly and I can't watch anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextr1p
I saw some of these a while back when he first started to post them. I thought the idea was novel... until he started to explain EVERY. SINGLE. NUANCE of the game in tedious, boring clips. He has, what, 1,257,343 clips about how to play the Heroscape game?

I guess this isn't a bad thing for people looking into the game and wanting to check out some of Heroscape's game play mechanics.
No, it isn't about that with these Expert Village videos. It's about ad-generated revenue.

The reason there's like 1,257,343 clips about HS from them (and the tons of other topics they also cover like that), where they hardly tell you anything of real substance (I mean, if you have the game you should already know all the basic stuff they explain), is simply for marketing purposes and ad revenue: Both the videos and their YouTube pages all advertise their website (which is simply an ad-laden money machine--they make $$ from the traffic that comes there daily). In addition, it appears they're a Premium YouTube publisher (I think), so all their videos also carry ads on the embed pages there, which they themselves get a percentage from (again, I think). So it's to their benefit to completely saturate YT with their videos as much as they possibly can.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I mean, that's how Capitalism on the Web works, but that's why they have like a million short vids explaining EVERY. SINGLE. NUANCE of HS, and millions of other topics. It's not so much to actually help people and stuff. Do you think they really care WHAT this guy is even saying in these vids?

"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM

ra914 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Deleted

Last edited by ra914; April 20th, 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, most retirement places now have that there internets and such thingies. I'm just looking to get HeroScape to replace Bingo. And I call the thing I use to stand up with a Deathwalker, but the other residents don't think that's so funny.
That's probably because of the beginning: "Death". If it was "Scoutwalker" or something I doubt they'd mind, But then again if you started calling them scoutwalkers they'd eventually be called chickenwalkers and that wouldn't be good

ps: sorry for the Star Wars reference
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's probably because of the beginning: "Death". If it was "Scoutwalker" or something I doubt they'd mind, But then again if you started calling them scoutwalkers they'd eventually be called chickenwalkers and that wouldn't be good

ps: sorry for the Star Wars reference
Man! You want me to remember what I said a month ago? I can't even remember where the cat put my car keys this morning! Did I say "cat"? I meant "dog." No, wait, the dog ate the hamster, or was it the other way 'round? Anyway, some animal has covered my car keys in poop. It might have been the bird, except we don't have a bird. It could have been the French chef in the cafeteria, but he would have called it "food" or, more likely, "cuisine." Uh, what?
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:45 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I have caused Revdyer to go insane. I can see him now foaming at the mouth attempting to remember even the slightest detail of his past. The poor guy has gone into an amnesiatic state.

My bad.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion