Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

View Poll Results: Should we have a newb question thread?
No 15 46.88%
Yes 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 29th, 2007, 04:57 PM

brickman1444 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUNAK
Darn noobs! REEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDD!
Not noobs, newbs. Newbs do know better. Noobs do.

6 x 9 = 42

Old July 29th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Location: Grut with the other Orcs ready to eat salted Baby preztels
BRUNAK has disabled reputation
Thanks Brick! Newbs....Reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

BRUNAK is Nerak in the PLATINUM CAVE!
Old July 29th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Anyone here ever been a newb? I know I was - and yes, I asked several already asked questions. You know what made me love the board? The swift and considerate answers I got.

In my opinion, the point of this board is to foster a love of Heroscape. When we beat up new people we accomplish exactly the opposite. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate it when new people take some time to look around for answers - I most certainly do! But at the same time I have to ask how much a little common courtesy costs us?

There seems to be a growing intolerance of new people and I really hope that we can take a deep breath and just ignore threads that are a tiny bit aggravating to us. Then those who enjoy fostering the new love newbs have for the game (Rev, Cav - I'm looking at you guys in addition to a host of others) can continue to do so. Let's maintain the friendliness quotient, all right?

~Aldin, wondering if you roll to drop the AE every turn

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 29th, 2007, 05:34 PM

No comment.

Old July 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
That looks like a comment to me.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:50 AM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
That looks like a comment to me.
What kind of question is that?
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Yeah! JK

Old July 30th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Glitch has disabled reputation
Wow 4 pointless comments in a row.

(Now 5)
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:56 PM

Hedge Knight Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
In my opinion, the point of this board is to foster a love of Heroscape. When we beat up new people we accomplish exactly the opposite. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate it when new people take some time to look around for answers - I most certainly do! But at the same time I have to ask how much a little common courtesy costs us?

There seems to be a growing intolerance of new people and I really hope that we can take a deep breath and just ignore threads that are a tiny bit aggravating to us.
Aldin, you make several very good points. Heck, I am scarcely more than a newbie myself, so I don't guess I have much room to talk.

That said, I haven't seen a blanket bashing of new people, and the courtesy you refer to is still very present. The problem is that it gets snowed under with all the chat-room-style posters and their polls, and you end up ignoring just about everything that doesn't come from someone whose name you recognize.

I've resisted various urges to post sarcastic comments, to start threads like "can we possibly enfore a 'minimum age to post' requirement?" and other less than charitable, passive-aggressive ways to deal with the spammening of this site.

Yes, the point of this board is to foster a love of HS, and to build the HS community. Therefore, we must be open. What then happens when that very openness ends up 'watering down' the quality of the boards? I used to check in for my work breaks to get a pleasant read and maybe learn a few things, or see a brilliant map design. Now I check in, and often end up closing the browser in disgust.

Ultimately I guess you're right, there is nothing for it but to take a deep breath and selectively ignore. But it's a shame, and this seems like a fine place to vent a little frustration.
Old August 1st, 2007, 02:58 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin

There seems to be a growing intolerance of new people and I really hope that we can take a deep breath and just ignore threads that are a tiny bit aggravating to us.
Aldin, you make several very good points. Heck, I am scarcely more than a newbie myself, so I don't guess I have much room to talk.

That said, I haven't seen a blanket bashing of new people, and the courtesy you refer to is still very present. The problem is that it gets snowed under with all the chat-room-style posters and their polls, and you end up ignoring just about everything that doesn't come from someone whose name you recognize.

I've resisted various urges to post sarcastic comments, to start threads like "can we possibly enfore a 'minimum age to post' requirement?" and other less than charitable, passive-aggressive ways to deal with the spammening of this site.

Yes, the point of this board is to foster a love of HS, and to build the HS community. Therefore, we must be open. What then happens when that very openness ends up 'watering down' the quality of the boards? I used to check in for my work breaks to get a pleasant read and maybe learn a few things, or see a brilliant map design. Now I check in, and often end up closing the browser in disgust.

Ultimately I guess you're right, there is nothing for it but to take a deep breath and selectively ignore. But it's a shame, and this seems like a fine place to vent a little frustration.
QFT.
Old August 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Well said, HK. There are still a lot of great discussions on this site, but recently there have been quite a few more less-than-readable threads. I agree, it would be nice to have some sort of requirements before new members can start posting, but as that's not possible, we just have to try our best not to get too upset with them. I haven't seen "bashing of new people" either. Any time older members get frustrated with the newbies, they've brought it on themselves. That being said, sometimes we could be a little nicer. Just because this is the 18th "Why does Taelord cost so much?" thread some of us have seen, it's the first time for the new member who posted it. Handling these situations nicely might not be that easy the 18th time, but a simple "This has been discussed before. Here's a link. This is a large community with many answers, please look around before asking questions that we may already have had." works just fine. After one or two responses like that, the new members should be able to figure out how the community works and hopefully eventually become well known names.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 1st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I agree Hedge Knight, well said. I know there is a fine line to tread and I think that on the whole we do a remarkable job of it. Necro, you and Cav in particular I have noticed lately - tirelessly linking threads and helping people out. I suppose it is this very thread, it's title and it's poll that had me concerned we were edging to a bit of a harsher tone.

~Aldin, lauding the many friendly faces of 'Scapers

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's