Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old January 19th, 2010, 12:52 AM

dsbarrick is surprisingly tart
Re: The Book of Grimnak

Although as Obsidian and SpartanNinja confirmed, Grimnak is the orc (just as Tor-Kul-Na is the rider, not the giant Marro), airdroppers's question about the positioning of the green dot is interesting. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdroppers View Post
The green dot is on the dinosaur but on other cards like Nerak's and Tornak's, the green dot is on the orc.
Me-Burq-Sa, Tor-Kul-Na, the mounted knights, and the Grok Riders all have the LOS dot on the riders rather than the mounts - Grimnak seems to be the only figure with the LOS dot on the mount. However, Grimnak is also the only figure whose mount's head blocks his line of sight. His head is directly behind the T. Rex's, while all the other's figures steeds have lowered heads, or the figures are positioned clear of the heads. Perhaps this is the reason the dot is positioned where it is, as the T. Rex's head could really block Grimnak's LOS if measured from the orc's head. . .

. . . that is, if it mattered and Grimnak had a range of more than one. The mystery still remains as to why any figure with Range 1 has a green dot, although Warlord Alpha's answer of "consistency" seems the most logical and likely. It's still puzzling, however, why they bothered positioning the dot on the T. Rex instead of the orc since it wouldn't actually be used for measuring LOS anyway.

Another possibility occurred to me. . . does anyone know whether the rule that LOS is not required when attacking an adjacent figure is present in the first edition rules? Or was this rule added in 2nd edition, 3rd edition (SOTM), or official FAQs? If LOS was originally required for adjacent attacks in an earlier draft of the rules, that could be another possible explanation.

The other possible explanation is the odd position of the green dot is just "one of those things," a small random detail like the Protectors of Ullar's wing hit zones.

The below from Warlord Alpha also reminded me of something I noticed only recently:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha
Like, maybe in the upcoming waves there will be a glyph that gives whoever holds it a ranged attact (as though they pick up a bow or something).
Grimnak actually has a bow and quiver (as well as a sword) attached to his saddle. Too bad the guy never gets to use them. It's highly unlikely with the new releases planned - and it may just be me because I love the Gruts - but I'd love to see some single-hex, unmounted orc champions other than Ornak. For example, a new, improved, unmounted version of Grimnak with sword and bow in hand a la Drake/Raelin v2.0 would be fun (but with an improved sculpt - I think Grimnak is the weakest Grut sculpt). And while I'm dreaming big impossible dreams, how about a rule that allows you to replace big 2-hex Grimnak with said little 1-hex Grimnak when Chompy bites the dust? Okay, yes, I know we'll never get it, and a brand new 1-hex orc champion would be preferable anyway, but hope springs eternal.

Quote:
**using a little bit of immagination**
Chomp is obviously done by the dinosaur.
So, that means the 2 dice attack is the orc?
My thoughts of Grimnak sans Chompy are in part inspired, I think, by airdroppers's comment above - I like the idea of thinking of the 2 attack as the orc's attack - although it seems pitifully small for such a mighty champion (no more than a Blade Grut). Although I guess it seems even more pitiful when you think of it as an orc AND a dinosaur attacking.
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbarrick View Post
. . . that is, if it mattered and Grimnak had a range of more than one. The mystery still remains as to why any figure with Range 1 has a green dot, although Warlord Alpha's answer of "consistency" seems the most logical and likely. It's still puzzling, however, why they bothered positioning the dot on the T. Rex instead of the orc since it wouldn't actually be used for measuring LOS anyway.
There are figures that require other figures to be able to see them for their abilities to work. I can't recall specifically which ones they are atm, but I know that there's at least one.

Edit: Just to clear things up a bit, there are figures that need to be seen.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

Last edited by Xn F M; January 19th, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

What I really dont like about this is that against large or huge figures , you can kiss your Grimnak goodbye.
He also seems to die rather fast.
(ok I dont have any grut orcs... yet)
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:09 PM

dsbarrick is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamissflash View Post
He also seems to die rather fast.
(ok I dont have any grut orcs... yet)
Grimnak is immensely improved by using him with Gruts. I found his life expectancy increased dramatically when I started using him with even a single squad of Heavy Gruts. More is better of course - Jexik has mentioned his 4x Heavies plus Grimnak 500 point army several times on the board. Here's hoping there's a Wave 6 reprint somewhere in the future so I can try that out!

Practically speaking, Blade Gruts are readily available at present and will increase your love of Grimnak too.
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:17 PM
has been BANNED

airdroppers knows what's in an order marker airdroppers knows what's in an order marker airdroppers knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
I am a little surprised this hasn't come up yet but, is Grimnak the dude on the dino or the dino himself?

The green dot is on the dinosaur but on other cards like Nerak's and Tornak's, the green dot is on the orc.

...I still don't know who Grimnak is

I am guessing he's the orc dude though.

Wow, I got -rep for that question, with a not so nice message going along with it

I thought it was an interesting topic and brought up some peoples point of view.

Anyways, if you see your opponent chose Grimnak, start choosing large characters lol

Last edited by airdroppers; January 20th, 2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:28 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Welcome to the dark, ugly side of heroscapers.com...

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM

bumper15 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Grimnak actually has a bow and quiver (as well as a sword) attached to his saddle. Too bad the guy never gets to use them. It's highly unlikely with the new releases planned
If he can't use them, what was the point of putting them on the sculpt?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumper15 View Post
Quote:
Grimnak actually has a bow and quiver (as well as a sword) attached to his saddle. Too bad the guy never gets to use them. It's highly unlikely with the new releases planned
Aesthetics, variety, flair, perhaps? It'd be a pretty boring fig if it was just a blue orc in a brown loincloth riding a gray, dinosaur, now wouldn't it?

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:55 PM

Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumper15 View Post
Quote:
Aesthetics, variety, flair, perhaps? It'd be a pretty boring fig if it was just a blue orc in a brown loincloth riding a gray, dinosaur, now wouldn't it?

Brandon
Just a random thought: Maybe if they remade him, he could have a use for some of them. Like a ranged special attack or something.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

Like the re-made Raelin/Sgt. Drake? Yeah, that might be cool. I don't see it ever happening, though. Especially now that DnD's the deal...

Brandon

Old July 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Everyone needs to read Jexik's blog Proof of Intelligent Design In Heroscape, which he explains why he likes Heroscape so much is "Because it has an Orc on a mother****in' T-Rex"
Old October 29th, 2010, 09:53 AM

Ivellius knows what's in an order marker Ivellius knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
I am a little surprised this hasn't come up yet but, is Grimnak the dude on the dino or the dino himself?

...I still don't know who Grimnak is

I am guessing he's the orc dude though.
You know, I figured this out the other day. Grimnak is the orc, and he's also the T-rex. It makes perfect sense.

All this time, we thought it had to be either/or...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units