Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old December 11th, 2009, 07:47 AM

lxnrhinners has disabled reputation
Custom Rules

Greetings, fellow Heroscapians!

So I am incredibly new to the Heroscapers.com community (this is only my second thing I've posted on here besides my profile stuff!), and most likely deserving to be passed off as a n00b and ignored. However, there are a couple ideas that I've been toying around with, and would like some professional opionage put into.

Battlement Cover
When a figure next to a battlement is being targeted for an attack by a normal attack, if there is a battlement between the attacking figure and the targeted figure, the targeted figure may add 1 to their defense roll.

Shove (Range 1, Attack 0)
In order to use this attack, the attacking figure (or the "shover") must have not used all of its movement this turn, and neither the shover nor the defending figure can be any tile that impairs normal movement. Instead of or after attacking, you may choose 1 figure adjacent to the shover that has an equal or lesser hex base area. Both the shoving and defending figure roll a 20-sided die.
To shove the opposing figure, the shover must roll a number that is within their own height. The defending figure must roll within their own height in order to defend. If either figure is double-hexed, that respective figure's effective height is doubled for this roll.
If the shover succeeds, and the defender does not, the shover may then move the defending figure one hex away from them in a straight line. This may only be done if the hex to which the defending figure is moved is at the same height or lower than the hex they are currently on. Roll for falling damage if necessary. If the shove results in the figure falling onto a hex that cannot normally be traversed, such as a tree or glacier, the defending figure is destroyed.

Vertical Movement
Any movement that results in the ascent or descent of 10 or more levels requires one additional movement for every 10 levels traversed.

Epic Points
In the game, when a certain condition is met or a certain goal is accomplished, figures can earn Epic Points. For each Epic Point achieved by a figure, increase the figure's attack and defense by 1 die, the effective height of the shover when rolling for Shove by 1 level, and the Life count of heroes by 1 point.

Jumping
A figure may attempt to jump to a hex that is 2 or more hexes away through the following rules:
~ Use 1 movement for each hex space jumped across.
~ For each hex jumped over, roll the 20-sided die.
- If you roll a 1-13, the jump for that hex space is unsuccessful. Treat that figure's movement as if it moved to that position normally from the height level of the hex before the jump.
- If you roll a 14-20, the jump for that hex is successful. Move your figure to the next hex in its movement.
* Add 8 to your roll if the figure is double-hexed.
* If there is a difference in height between the jump's origination and destination hexes, subtract the height of the destination hex from the height of the origination hex, and add this number to your roll. (For example, if your figure is currently on a Level 13 hex, and is attempting to jump to a Level 9 hex, add 4 to your roll. If attempting to jump to a Level 15 hex from a Level 13 hex, subtract 2 from your roll.)
* Add 1 to your roll for every space the figure moved this turn before jumping.

In addtion to these rules, I've also always kind of liked the idea of being able to split up your movement through your turn. For example, instead of having to move, then attack, you could attack, then move, or move some, attack, then move again. In this latter case, I'm thinking it would work out better to split the one movement throughout the turn, as opposed to getting two movement sessions. For example, if a figure as a move of 6, you'd have 6 movement to work with that turn--aka, splitting could go as 4 and 2, 3 and 3, 5 and 1, etc. I think this would add a very interesting aspect to the game, as figures would then be able to hide behind objects after attacking. An alternative to splitting movement is just to allow all figures a "Take Cover" movement of 1 or 2 after they attack.

Please let me know what you think of these ideas. Obviously, they are still in the making, so any comments/ideas/tips/concerns would and will be appreciated. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test out any of the ideas in actual gameplay (HIIISSSSSS, yeah, I know, I know, don't beat me), so I'm not sure how they play out IRL. So, if anyone's game to give these a try (haha, ha, HA) to test them out, I'd love to hear any feedback.

Last edited by lxnrhinners; December 11th, 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Custom Rules

Theoryscape alert: I haven't playtested any of your proposed variations, so all of my opinions are based off my mental gymnastics.

Battlement Cover
This looks okay. I've also toyed around with the idea of giving defensive bonuses to figs partially behind LoS blockers, and I like how you limited it to only normal attacks.

Shove
An interesting idea, but too powerful in its present form. It should be in place of moving or attack, not in place of 1 hex worths of move. I like the threshold being the figure's height, But doubling the effective height for two-hex figures seems too strong-it means that Jotun, WSG, Chompy, TKN, Zelrig, Nilfheim, SBN and Braxas all auto-succeed (true, some of them could use the help, but most of them don't need to be more powerful). Auto-destruction when puched into an unoccupiable hex is also too powerful. Maybe taking a wound would work okay, but I think that this is best used as a tool for trying to control where your opponent is, rather than outright killing them. Also, what happens if you push a figure out of an engagement (other than being engaged with the pushing figure).

Vertical Movement
This looks designed to limit the effectiveness of fliers, but they don't really need to be brought down.

Epic Points
What kinds of conditions award these? Do you pick which figure they go on, or do the affect all figures? How do you track how many you have, and what they are providing bonuses too?

Jumping
Too much math for not enough benefit. Just go around the water/lava/ice/snow, or eat the movement penelty.

Moving after attacking
A very emphatic NO to this one. It's been discussed before and it would completely hose melee. Ranged figures would just wait for melee figures to get in range, then attack, then retreat so that the melee units would have to advance again, only to have the ranged units shoot then retreat again. Not to mention the little stuff it would affect, like having to reword WTF.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the input, Killometer. Most of these were inspired by specific scenarios/maps that I put together.

Battlement Cover
Thanks! But you know what, now that I look at it, I'm thinking I might want to limit it to only small and medium figures (unless Jotun is able to scrunch down behind a battlement. )

Shove
I mainly wanted to make this because I have several maps with large differences in height, where it would be advantageous to try and shove opponent's figures say, off a castle, or into a ravine, or onto lava. I guess I agree to what you say about full move/attack forfeit and no doubling--again, these are things I kinda just threw out of my head. However, I don't know what else to do for unoccupiable hexes. I don't want to make it so you just can't push them there (say, off a castle onto a tree). Maybe roll for damage, then roll for direction the figure falls from there?

Vertical Movement
This is for scenarios I have where I think to keep flying is okay, but to go to any level hex seems like too much--for example, in a 27-level castle map I made. It just seems too powerful for flying figures to instantaneously change level like that. Also, this would affect falling figures, too. Mainly to keep the time-passage aspect of the game more... well, whatever it is.

Epic Points
This is mostly set up in specific scenarios to encourage players to go to certain areas of the map (ex: different floors of a castle) or achieve certain goals (say, obtaining the flag, checkpoints, etc.) that might not other wise be fully explored. As of currently, I am only using them in maps where certain areas reward certain number of Epic Points--mainly, on my 4-tier castle, every figure on a certain floor gets that number of Epic Points. Again, this is to encourage players to actually go up into the castle, and not just bash each other around on the ground around it. Again, haven't played with it, but it seemed like it might be fun.

Jumping
I've always wished there was some kind of set way for all figure to be able to jump. This is mostly for, again, maps with large height variances, where figures could jump from castle to castle, across a ravine, cross a broken bridge, etc. Is there any more practical suggestions for how to achieve this while still taking into account the individuality of figures?

Moving after Attacking
...yeaaahhh.... *sigh* I guess. I don't know. I guess it would just be nice for shooting figures to be able to fire at each other, then attempt to take cover. For ranged attacking melee figures, I would think the ranged figure would have to roll for disengagement? Maybe engaged figures can't use the Take Cover movement? As for WTF (which took me like 5 minutes to figure out DIDN'T mean What The F***), I don't know why that would have to be reworded... You don't move, you get the bonus. Take Cover is moving.
but whatever. just a little mental experiment. I didn't think I'd be using it anyways--just fun to throw out there... but if it's dead, it's dead.

Dankoo belly mosh foll feedback have nice deh!
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxnrhinners View Post
Battlement Cover
I'm thinking I might want to limit it to only small and medium figures
Good idea. And it has a precident with TJ's special rules.

Quote:
Shove
However, I don't know what else to do for unoccupiable hexes. I don't want to make it so you just can't push them thereMaybe roll for damage, then roll for direction the figure falls from there?
Maybe roll 1 die and if it comes up a skull they take a wound? And the shover gets to pick the direction of the fall? And I agree that double-hexers should have some sort of a bonus, but doubling was just too much. Maybe just a static bonus?

Quote:
Vertical Movement
This is for scenarios I have where I think to keep flying is okay, but to go to any level hex seems like too much--for example, in a 27-level castle map I made.
If it gets to be too much of a problem you could send some of those castle sets my way.

Quote:
Epic Points
Ah, like glyphs with a geographic limit to their effect.

Quote:
Jumping
where figures could jump from castle to castle, across a ravine, cross a broken bridge, etc. Is there any more practical suggestions for how to achieve this while still taking into account the individuality of figures?
I didn't even think of something like that. Now I'm intrigued. And now that I reread the rule it's not even that complicated...

Quote:
Moving after Attacking
...yeaaahhh.... *sigh* just fun to throw out there... but if it's dead, it's dead.
I was rolling this idea over Saturday (at 6:30 in the morning, so I can't gaurentee the quality of the rolling) and the easiest way I could balance this was to give melee units the ability to move twice in a round, but limit their double move to [move then move, but not attack], or to [move, attack, move]. I don't remember why this seemed the best (I'm rerolling it at 3 in the morning), but it stuck with me for some reason. I'll try to rereroll again at a more reasonable hour.

Quote:
Soitenly!

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:00 AM

WARNING: THIS IS A RIDICULOUSLY LONG POST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:
Battlement Cover
I'm thinking I might want to limit it to only small and medium figures
Good idea. And it has a precident with TJ's special rules.
Well then. Cool beans.

Quote:
Quote:
Shove
However, I don't know what else to do for unoccupiable hexes. I don't want to make it so you just can't push them thereMaybe roll for damage, then roll for direction the figure falls from there?
Maybe roll 1 die and if it comes up a skull they take a wound? And the shover gets to pick the direction of the fall? And I agree that double-hexers should have some sort of a bonus, but doubling was just too much. Maybe just a static bonus?
Hmm... I like that idea of just rolling for damage, then having a player redirect the fall. I'm thinking they would also still roll for damage if falling to the height of the top of that object normally would produce damage rolls? As for deciding where to fall afterword... --Hahaha: I'm picturing a scenario where one figure pushes another figure from atop a 2-layer castle onto a 12-height tree--
"Okay, now fall in the direction of that 11-height tree... and now, fall onto that 10-height tree... and now, onto that glacier... now that bush... now that molten lava tile."
I guess you'd have to make it where the shover must choose a direction of normal falling? (aka, where one would be able to fall if moving normally; aaka, not onto an unoccupiable hex?) ---Actually, I think the defending figure would decide where to fall after being shoved (like in a video game. Bad comparison, I know. 9_9 x/ )
OOH!!! ALSO---Scenario: Figure is pushed to fall onto another figure.
.....What happens?
Obviously ground figure also takes damage, but does he cushion the fall? Is the falling figure moved? Is the ground figure moved? Are they both moved? Do you roll to determine? Would height affect it?

Eentillestink... Behhhhhhhlllly eentillestink...

Also, for double-spaced figures, you could just subtract 8 from their roll, similar to what I did for jumping. I think maybe players should choose to either skip moving OR attacking to shove.

Quote:
Quote:
Vertical Movement
This is for scenarios I have where I think to keep flying is okay, but to go to any level hex seems like too much--for example, in a 27-level castle map I made.
If it gets to be too much of a problem you could send some of those castle sets my way.
HA. That's a good one.

No, I only have 2 castle sets. Maybe I'll post the map from VirtualScape and show you guys how I did it???? It's only 3 castle pillars high, but it involves attaching tiles in the grooves meant for connecting castle wall to castle wall, as these are very sturdy and will support hexes in the air. I think I'll start doing that--posting maps, I mean. I have, like, 30 of them.

Quote:
Quote:
Epic Points
Ah, like glyphs with a geographic limit to their effect.
HMMMM?????? Geo-specific glyphs???? Tell me more.....[*drums fingers on each other in steeple form while grinning ominously and raising one eyebrow*]
But yes, I guess. (I must confess.) But it automatically affects everyone within that area.

Quote:
Quote:
Jumping
where figures could jump from castle to castle, across a ravine, cross a broken bridge, etc. Is there any more practical suggestions for how to achieve this while still taking into account the individuality of figures?
I didn't even think of something like that. Now I'm intrigued. And now that I reread the rule it's not even that complicated...
I really think this could provide for some interesting game scenarios--again, I may post a few where jumping would play a significant role in the game play. However, I think I should add in (this may be obvious) that figures cannot jump above their own height. ...Unless they just should not be allowed to jump to a height heigher than their current one? (aka, only downhill?) This may be a better alternative. GEEZ.

Quote:
Quote:
Moving after Attacking
...yeaaahhh.... *sigh* just fun to throw out there... but if it's dead, it's dead.
I was rolling this idea over Saturday (at 6:30 in the morning, so I can't gaurentee the quality of the rolling) and the easiest way I could balance this was to give melee units the ability to move twice in a round, but limit their double move to [move then move, but not attack], or to [move, attack, move]. I don't remember why this seemed the best (I'm rerolling it at 3 in the morning), but it stuck with me for some reason. I'll try to rereroll again at a more reasonable hour.
No--how dare you even conceive the notion of suggesting the possibility of having quality rollage? >>> jk, jk...
but really, I have no idea what you're talking about. To clarify, figures would still only have the amount of movement as indicated on their card to work with per round (plus any glyphs, etc.). So, a figure with 5 move could move 2, then attack, then move 3; not move 5, attack, then move 5.
I don't know. I've personally given up a little bit on this idea. However, I'm still kind of pondering that 1-move Take Cover action after attacking...

You know what, scratch that about giving up. I'm still in. (Why I'm not deleting it, I have no clue.)

Quote:
Quote:
Soitenly!
hahahahah! 'Enk yah maite! Nah prawlbem!

Last edited by lxnrhinners; February 2nd, 2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:32 AM

dannyboy477 costs too much!

Heroscape Advanced Rule set

Initiative (1st step of Combat Order)
After determining Initiative, place the 3x5 (3 of them) taped together in front of you. When initiative orders are determined, reveal that army card with that initiative only by moving in front of the shield, the army card is with the special abilities is faced down and are revealed when used.
At the start of the turn, roll 1d20 initiative for each army card in your control. An army card rolling a 20 on a d20 may move at ½ (round down) their base move forward or make an free normal attack to any enemy figures within range. They only get one choice of two choices but not both. This does not hinder their normal move or normal attacks that would follow the bonus for rolling a 20 on a d20.
An army card rolling a 1-4 on a d20 cannot move for that turn. They may only employ defense and or defensive special abilities including withdraw.
Note replace the word “order marker” with the word “initiative’ on all the army cards and use the initiative system instead.

Attack (3rd step of Combat Order)
A figure becomes engaged when it moves adjacent to an opponent’s figure. Engaged figures may use a normal attack or special attack or special ability unless noted.
Adjacent Exceptions: Most of the time, if a figure is next to another figure, they are adjacent. Here are the exceptions to the rules:
If one figure’s base is on a hex level equal to or higher then the height of the other figure, they are not adjacent and therefore not engaged.
If a ruin is between the two figures, both figures heights must be higher then the ruin to be engaged. If both figures heights are lower then the ruin or only one figures height is lower, they are not engaged.
Engaged Figures: If one or your figures is engaged with one or more other figures, that figure can only attack those figures. A double-spaced figure can attack from either space.
Engaged figures are those who are adjacent to another enemy figure. The figures facing doesn’t matter. Engaged figures can choose to ignore the engaging enemy figure and take another combat action, but this allows the engaging enemy to gain a passing swipe at them. The following situations create a passing swipe for figure engaged.
  • Attempting ranged combat at the engaging enemy other then the round both figures engage.
  • Moving away from the engaging enemy, including charging, running, but not withdraw
  • Turning a figures facing so that it now has its backside to the engaging enemy.
  • Attempting a grapple attack against any enemy figure that is showing weapons on the figure.
A passing swipe is ½ the attacker’s defense dice.
Called shot (1st step of Combat Order)
A called shot must be announced in the Initiative order and the Figure may not move during that turn. This takes place of a normal attack or special attack. Initiative of that figure calling the called shot is reduced immediately by a factor of 1.

Called shot to Penalty Effect

Arms/Hands -1 base attack dice, arm disabled on a crit, that figure suffers -1 attack dice on normal attacks and may not move more then its height when moving up hextiles. Both arms disabled means figure suffers –2 attack dice on normal attacks and may not move up any hex elevations at all.

Ears -2 base attack dice Targeted figure loses -2 initiative on critical. Figure stunned 2
rounds. Figure loses 1 additional life point every other round. Figure’s move is reduced by 1/3 also. Both ears targeted means the figure is deafened and may not use special abilities that use sound. A deafened figures chance of surprised is increased by +1 on a d20 roll.

Eyes -2 base attack dice Blinded in that eye(s) on a crit, the figure suffers –2 defense dice penalty and move is reduced by 1/3 of normal. Both eyes targeted means that the figure suffers –2 defense dice, move is reduced by 2/3 or normal and figure may not run. A truly blinded figure has a 50% chance of hitting their enemy and the surprise roll increased by 2.

Head -3 base attack dice Double the skulls rolled on critical, if figure lives, then it must make a special Roll; roll the defense dice and score at least half the number written on army card or be stunned this and the following round.
Charge (2nd step of Combat Order)
A figure may charge rapidly to close combat making an attack at the end of its movement. A figure must move ½ its move in a straight line before encountering hex elevations otherwise the figure cannot charge. The figure ignores elevated hexes ½ the figures height or less, once the charge is determined to be legal. A charging figure moves 1 ½ times his move. A charge is considered a run, so you cant run, and charge at the same time.
At the end of the charge, if he engages an enemy, that enemy gets a passing swipe with 1 additional attack dice, however the charger gets 2 additional attack dice for the figures charge.
Guarding figures with weapons longer then the charging figure automatically strike for ½ their attack dice (round down) to the charging figure.

Condition (Beginning of turn)
Players should decide on the conditions that are present on the terrain hextile and these conditions should be picked before a draft is made.
An extremely still condition allows any movement from large or huge to be automatically heard and the large or huge creature can’t surprise anyone. Extremely still can affect the whole hextile terrain or just a portion of it, if a portion roll 1d20 for the width and length (1 roll), then using a yarn or string mark the area as appropriate.
All figures that can see the moving large or huge figure may automatically make passing swipes with appropriate range or engage them.
A Rainy condition reduces the total move of all army cards in that area by 1. A running figure must make a recovery roll at the end of his move, which is a base of 11 +1 per current movement of figure on a d20. Failure means figure slipped and falls prone on their back for one turn. Rain conditions reduce CLOS and LOS by 1 hex and reduces the attack dice by 1.

Rain last for 1d20 turns on ½ the hextile play set then resumes for 1d20 turns on the other half of the hextile play set.

Heavy Fog condition cost an additional movement point per hex moved. A running figure must make a Recovery Roll for every hex he or she travels in heavy fog. The roll is as above 11 +1 current movement of figure on a d20. Failure means the figure tripped over something and falls on back prone for duration of that turn.

Heavy Fog conditions reduce CLOS and LOs by 1 hex and subtracts 1 from the attack dice and 2 from the defense dice.

Heavy Fog last for 1d20 turns and has a width of 1d20 hexes and length 1d20 hexes and counts as a condition for surprise. Roll 1d8 for a cardinal direction with 1 representing actual north. A piece of yard laid out roughly to the hexes with scotch tape double sided every now and then makes for a good fog outline.
Night/Darkness condition, all figures subtract 2 dice from all attack and defense rolls. Figures can see half their movement score in a night condition. If running at night, the figure moves in a random direction, this could be disastrous in the figure moves over a hex ledge.
In Total Darkness condition, all figures subtracts 3 from all attack and defense rolls and may only move 1/3 their movement regardless. You cannot run in total darkness.

Cover (3rd step of Combat Order in some instances)
When you can only see less then 50% of the hit area of a figure, that figure gets +1 def dice. If the cover situation cannot be fairly judged, rolled a d20 sided dice to dispute, highest wins.
When you can see less then 75% of the hit area of a figure, that figure gets +2 def dice.

Covering with a weapon (1st step of Combat Order)
A figure with a range greater then 1 can announce during the initiative step he is covering a particular hex within range and CLOS or a particular figure within CLOS. He cannot do both. This causes a –1 to the Initiative.
At any point after the Initiative, the covering character can attack the hex or covering figure with a ranged normal attack gaining +2 attack dice. A covering character may not move less he loose his chance to cover that hex.
Counter attack (out of initiative) A figure counterattacking may not use special abilities nor can they level up beyond level 3 Elite with a counterattack. It makes sense it’s a lot harder to hit level 4 Ultimate figures with a counterattack then a level 3 Elite. Counterattack may also be made after a rear attack though at –2 attack dice (minimum 1 dice) and you must pivot the figure to attack at the expense of a possible passing swipe from adjacent and engaged figures. A figure may only counterattack once per players turn not game turn regardless the number of attacking figures. Critical (3rd step of Combat Order)
A figure must have 3 attacking dice total to eligible to give a crit. An attacker achieving 75% of skulls in attack dice causes a critical. Criticals cause double the damage plus modifiers. Refer to the chart below.
#Att. dice Crit achieved #Att. dice Crit achieved
3 2 4 3

5 4 6 5

7 5 8 6
9 7 10 8

Modifiers: attacking figure is gargantuan or huge, damage after shields is x2; attacking figure is large damage after shields is x 1.5.
The defender must make a Retreat save, of 13 or better on a d20 + 1 for each point of successful defense shield rolled, -1 for each point of critical attack skull achieved on the critical.

If the defender fails, he must retreat back or to the sides one hex per point of the saved by (max of 7) of the attackers choice. Defenders who reach Elite level status never retreat.

Critical Events (Beginning of 3rd round)
Strange things happen in the fog of war. Many battles hinge on a lucky break or an unforeseen circumstance. Roll a d20 to determine the outcome of the critical event.

D20 roll Outcome
1-2 A random combatant has trouble with his armor. Roll 1d20 for exact problem. 1-9, helm/headgear or head in way of an attack. Lose 1 defense dice this round; 10-18, guard down, lose 2 defense dice this round; 19-20, just out there lose 3 defense dice this round. Note a figure will always have at least one defense dice.

3-4 Battlefield; a single hex tile decided by the player with the least to gain at this point during the game is destroyed.
5 Battlefield shifts; the tide of battle carries all figures 1d20 –10 (negative counts as 0) hexes in random direction. The player with the least to gain at this point decides the direction. Nobody gains any passing swipes.
6 Close quarters; two enemies that previously were engaged find themselves grappling.
7 Item damage; random figure that was attacked last turn has a weapon damaged by a wild swing. If the weapon allows use of a special ability or attack, then reduce that ability by a factor or 1, whether it is attack dice, defense dice, move, range, or life. The person controlling the figure decides.
8 Item dropped; random combatant must spend a round picking up the weapon, no normal attacks possible this round.
9-11 Knock down; a random combatant that was engaged in melee is knocked to the ground by collision with someone near him.
12 Lucky break; random figure is favored by fate and gains +2 defense dice this round.
13 Lucky opening, random figure is favored by fate and gained +2 attack dice this round.
14-15 Mount trouble (if mounted otherwise roll again), random figure experiences mount difficulty, roll 1d20. 1-9. mount bolts, running in a random direction; 10-18 mount rears, figure falls prone on back to ground; 19-20 Lose a turn regaining control of mount.
16 Reinforcements; another copy of a random army card shows up at your starting point. The unique rule does not apply here.
17 Retreat; random player whose figures were engaged last turn drives back all other engaged figures 1d20-10 (negative counts as 0) hexes towards their starting point. The figures may follow at no penalty to movement, nor is they’re any passing swipes.
18 Slip; random figure slips spending the round prone.
19-20 Withdraw; random figure disengages from the enemy as per withdraw rules. This does not cause passing swipe.

Familiars/ tokens/hostile denizens

A few Army Cards have special abilities of familiars. These familiars are considered to have base stats of 1 where appropriate. Thus, they can only be attacked with a special attack. They cannot be attacked by normal means. If an special attacks destroy the familiar, the controlling player of the familiar rolls a d20 on a roll of a 13-20, the familiar rises from its death reborn to be use on the next time that army card would get initiative.

If a failed roll, the familiar rises from its death automatically 1 turn later, the next time that army card would get initiative. (2 players turns). Place one or two black markers on the card beside the special ability, and then remove one or two black markers when that army card has initiative. The markers represent the number of turns, depending on the player’s roll when the familiar comes back.
Familiars may attempt to help “level up” a figure to level 2 but not to level 3. When the figure levels up to level 2, the familiar will gain base stats of 2 where appropriate. A familiar will not gain stats beyond 2 no matter how leveled up the figure is.
When entering a different terrain the first time or leaving a different terrain into different terrain, roll a d20, on a 11-20, your figure encounters an non-playable hostile denizen that has stats of 1 where appropriate. Use a marker as appropriate to designate a swamp denizen. This represents the different types of various encounters a hero faces.
If a figure does not destroy the hostile denizen, it remains on the hex it was last engaged and will move toward any non-terrain denizens (other characters) that moves into the territory. A figure cannot level up by destroying familiars, tokens, or hostile denizens. The player that has the least to gain game wise attacks and defends for the swamp denizen/token using the base stats of the denizen/token.

Firing into Engagements (3rd step of Combat Order)
If a figure wishes to use a ranged weapon or ranged attack to attack any figures in an engagement, assign the figures in the engagement points. Each small-sized figure gets ½ a point, a medium-sized figure gets 1 point each, large figures gets 2 points each, huge figures gets 4 points each and gargantuan 6 points each.

Add the total up round to the nearest whole die and roll using the points as a spread system. For example, if an figure wants to fire a ranged weapon into a engagement and there is 4 small figures, 2 large figures and 1 huge figure, you would assign 2 points to the small, 4 points to the large and 4 points to the huge figure for a total of 10. You then would roll a 10 sided- die. On a roll of 1-2, the small figures would be hit, 3-6, the large figures would be hit, and 7-10 the huge figure would be hit.
As a option, and loss of 2 attack dice, the figure may fire at large, or bigger figures involved in the engagement guaranteeing that they will only be hit. If the figure is small, they may do the same thing to medium sized figures involved in the engagement.

Flying (2nd step of Combat Order)
A figure that wishes not to land will continue to fly level at whatever height they began their flight. A flyer may climb at 1/2 their move. This counts as a full-move action, so the flyer can do nothing else that turn. A player needs to keep a record of how high the flying figure is.
Figures with flying ignore elevations, water, ice, snow, tiles and ruins without stopping or becoming engaged. When a flyer starts to fly, and they don’t have stealth flying special ability, if they are engaged, they will take any passing swipes upon leaving.
A flyer may end his movement in the air and try to hover, if they can succeed at a Hover roll. A hover roll is the current move dice. This is modified by –1 for every 5 vertical hex tiles the figure is in the air. A player needs ¾ (75%) the total dice to hover successfully (rounded down). Use the table below to determine results needed.

#move dice hover on #move dice hover on #move dice hover on
3 2 4 3 5 4
6 5 7 5 8 6
9 7 10 8 11 8
A flying figure failing a hover roll will fall a number of hexes in its height before recovering. If the fall causes it to hit the hex terrain, it crashes resulting in 1 wound. If the flying figure does not crash, it regains ½ the height it fell for that turn at the end of that players turn.
Flying figures may not use the jump action since it is already incorporated into the flying mechanic.
A flying figure may swoop diving out of the sky to snatch figures one size smaller then it. A diving figure moves at double its move. Upon contact with the opponent, that opponent who is getting swooped upon gains a passing swipe first, then the swooper makes a swoop roll, a swoop roll is an d20 +1 for every 5 vertical hextiles it is up in the air. A 17 or better is needed on the d20.

Failure of 5 or less then the roll needed causes it to clip the ground resulting in 1 wound, but it still gains ½ the height it dove for that round (not to exceed their movement) at the end of that player’s turn. Failure of more then 10 causes the swooper to take damage as if it had fallen equal to the hexes it had attained in height.
Success means the person swooped is now under an attack, the swooper (attacker) gets to add +1 attack dice for every 5 vertical hextiles the swooper in the air. If they get through the defenses, they have done no damage but snatched the figure up in their appendages gaining altitude equal to ½ their diving height not to exceed their movement at the end of that players turn.
The snatched figure may be dropped as a combat action or the combat can continue with a normal attack or special attack as they were adjacent to each otehr, but the character swooped upon has with a penalty of –2 attack dice.

Grab (3rd step of Combat Order)
Sometimes in the course of the game, it will become important to grab representative items from a figure. This might be capturing a flag; retrieve a potion or what have you. The figure that wishes to grab something rolls a d20 and adds +1 for each point of movement. The defender does the same. High roll manages to grab the item.

Guard (3rd step of Combat Order)
Whenever a character uses the guard action, she waits for her opponents to come to her. A guarding figure announces she is guarding in the initiative step. A guarding figure strikes the moment an attacker moves into engagement range (which is usually 1). Choosing the guard action means the figure doesn’t move for that round.
A guarding figure with weapons longer then a charging figure automatically strikes for ½ their attack dice to the charger. A judge should be consulted if there is discrepancy on the weapon being set. Generally, if the weapon is a polearm or spear of some sort, the guard action should be allowed.

Higher Ground
If the attackers waist is higher then his opponents head or if the attacker is 2 hextiles higher up then the enemy, he gains +1 attack dice. This does not apply to swoop tactics.
If the defenders waist is higher then his opponents head or if the defender is 2 hextiles higher up then the enemy, he gains +1 to the defense dice.

Jumping (2nd step of Combat Order)
Figures may high jump, broad jump, and long jump onto cliffs, ledges, over obstacles and into other hexes.
A figure may high jump up to their height by rolling their move dice. A figure needs ½ the results in either skulls or shields. A figure wishing to high jump must be adjacent to the object high jumped to and the hex landed on must be able to support the figure. Failure results in the figure landing in the same hex.
A figure may also high jump 1/3 more then their height to an overhang, or railing if applicable. A successful high jump allows them to grasp the overhang, the railing, or ruins for that turn. On their next turn, they may lift themselves up to the hex or up and over the hex.
A figure may broad jump over an obstacle (this can be figures) by rolling their move dice. A figure may broad jump up to 75% of their height with a clear line of sight to the obstacle and running start equal to 1/3 their move. The figure will land one hex just past the obstacle not to exceed their movement. Look at the move number chart first to determine the running start, check the height table, then make a move roll, then look at the results on the 3 rd table below.
A figure may also do a standing broad jump, but needs 75% of their move dice to be shields or skulls.
A long jump is determined by the tables below, the run up start table and height table are the same. It is the same as the broad jump tables.

A figure attains ½ her height stat in actual height at the midpoint of the jump. Should the figures collide with something at the midpoint, she falls, suffering any falling damage. Failure results at the midpoint of the jump, indicating possible falling damage, and falling prone on stomach.

Falling into water reduces the falling damage by one.
Note running start does not mean the figure is actually running it is assumed the figure will do a run up in the attempted broad jump or high jump.
Move is running start Move is running start Move is running start
X needed X needed x needed
3 1 4 1 5 2
6 2 7 2 8 3
9 3 10 3 11 3

Fig. height max jump Fig. height max jump Fig. height max jump

is height is height is height

1 1 2 1 3 2

4 3 5 4 6 4
7 5 8 6 9 7

#of skulls/ hexes #of skulls/ hexes #of skulls/ hexes

shieldsjumpedshieldsjumped shields jumped
1 2 2 3 3 4
4 5 5 7 6 8
7 9 8 10 9 11

The run up does not count towards the Figures jump movement, though any base movement left over after a successful jump is wasted. A figure long jumps by using there move dice.

Modifiers: Surface being jumped from is concealed (overhang above jumper) +1 skull needed; slippery from rain, uneven (has elevated hextile at beginning of jump) or unstable (top or overhang, or adjacent to water) +1 skull needed; Night/Darkness +1 skull needed.
Elevation of takeoff surface is below target surface +1 skull/shield needed for every 2 levels higher the target surface is. Elevation of take off surface is above target surface –1 skull/shield needed for every 2 levels higher the takeoff surface is.
Size: small –1 skull/shield needed, medium 0 skulls/shields needed, large and huge creatures +1 skull/shield needed, gargantuan +2 skulls/shields needed.

Knockdown (3rd step of Combat Order)
Big creatures can smash their opponents into the ground with brute strength. Knockdowns occur when a bigger figure rolls ½ of more skulls in attack dice and the defending figure rolls no shields in defense dice. The defending figure is then knocked down prone on its back and must spend a full move action on its next turn to stand up.

Last Man Standing
The last member of a squad not yet destroyed may make a avoid destruction roll at any time it would be destroyed. The roll is made once a turn if engaged, squads can’t live forever, roll a d20, on a roll of 17-20, and the squad member avoids the damage and must move one hex away from the figure that damaged it. Last man standing may be evoked once per combat.

Make Unconscious (3rd step of Combat Order)
There may be times when a figure wants to knock out another figure as to capture him or her. If the attacker can make a rear attack then he makes an attack roll with +1 additional dice. The defender may still use the rear attack rule to pivot around, losing 2 defense dice. Note, you do not need to attempt a rear attack to make a figure unconscious, but if you attempt from a front facing, the defender gets to make an immediate passing swipe at you.

If the attacker’s dice beats the defenders dice by 2, then the figure is stunned this turn, see stunned and all damage is doubled. If a figure would be reduced to zero life, he is unconscious instead. If the figure is reduced to less then 0 life, then it dies.
A figure may only attempt to make unconscious another figure one size bigger then it.
You may not attempt to make unconscious the same figure more then one turn.

Movement and Footing
Forest-Movement cost of 2 Heavy Brush/Thickets-Movement cost of 3
Knee-deep Snow/Water-Movement cost of 2 Shoulder-deep Snow/Water-Movement cost of 3 Rocky-Movement cost of 2 Sand-Movement cost of 2
Waist-deep Snow/Water-Movement cost of 3
Figures may always move a minimum of 1 hextile in such situations.

Overbear (3rd step of Combat Order)
A squad with all its members adjacent to a figure may attempt to overbear that figure. The squad makes an attack getting +1 for each member involved in the overbearing. No damage is dealt, instead, excess skulls count as squad member grappling hold of an appendage (arm or leg) and when ¾ of the appendages are held, the defender is overborne and pulled to the ground prone. Naturally, a prone figure on their turn spends all their movement standing up, but each attacker gets a passing swipe at the defender as he stands up.

For every size of the attacker is bigger then the defender +1 additional attack dice is gained.
For every size of the defender is bigger then the attacker, +1 additional defense dice is gained.
If the defender has four or more legs, that defender gains +2 additional defense dice.

The size of creatures in Heroscape is small, medium, large, huge, and gargantuan.

Pivot (2nd step of Combat Order)
A double hexed figure may pivot at the beginning or middle of their move, but this counts as one movement space.
A figure may pivot up to 180 degrees in any direction as long as they don’t pivot into other figures at the end of their move. This counts as a free action. The pivot must be able to support the figure. Once a figure is pivoted, a player says he is done moving the figure, or 15 seconds have elapsed after he last touched it, then the figure stays exactly where it is.

Rear/Flank Attack (3rd step of Combat Order)
If a figure is able to position itself for a rear or flank attack, it gains a significant advantage. A rear attack gets +1 attack dice and a flanking attack gives each flanking figure a +1 attack dice.
Your figure must be directly behind in the adjacent hex of the defending figure, furthermore, your figure must have CLOS to the figure and the figure’s weapon that is depicted must be able to reach/target the defender’s back. The figure must have a defined back where a weapon could pierce, hit, or shoot. Generally, a figure may only use a rear attack against other figures one size larger then it or one size smaller.
A defending figure is allowed a counter attack against a rear-attacking figure. The defending figure must be able to pivot 180° as a free action and counter attacks with 2 less attack dice. If the figure cannot pivot, then they are denied a counter attack for purposes of countering a rear attack.
Your figure may flank a defender if only you have another figure you control, directly across from you on the opposite side of flanking figure. Defenders may counterattack against one flanking figure regardless of the number of flanking figures. Flanking allows the attackers +1 attack dice to use for that flanking situation.

Run (2nd step of Combat Order)
A figure may run by doubling his movement. Running is a full-move action, the figure cant do anything else in the same round that he runs. A figure suffers a defense dice penalty of –1 dice. If he runs into a set weapon, he is considered charging. A running figure must make an exhaustion check by rolling at least 10 + the army cards defense dice (round down) on a d20 or spend the next turn exhausted. Place an already overturned order marker or something similar to show the figure is exhausted.
Exhausted figures cannot move for this round and next one and may only attack with ½ their attack dice but may defend including withdraw, with any special defensive abilities.

Set a weapon (3rd step of Combat Order, out of initiative)
A figure may set a weapon of length like a polearm (must be a weapon of length player against an enemy figure that is charging or running, even if the running figure has ended his movement but is adjacent/engaged with the figure setting the weapon. The charger or runner in this instance gets a passing swipe.

Setting the weapon as an out of initiative attack and is a free action to set the weapon but does count against the attack step. As long as the weapon of length can reach into the hex of the running or charging figure, then the figure can set the weapon. A set weapon automatically does ½ (round down) the figures attack dice to the charging or running figure.

Shield Punch (3rd step of Combat Order)
A figure with a shield depicted on it may forgo some of its defense to gain an extra attack. The bearer of the shield punch must suffer –3 dice defense penalty but gains and immediate extra attack with his shield.
Make a normal attack and if successful add a like number of damage according to the shield type; small 1 damage, medium 2 damage, large 3 damage. If there are multiple opponent’s adjacent to the shield puncher, he may strike them as well (maximum of 2), then the shield puncher may make an additional shield punch at –1 attack dice on the other adjacent figure.

Shield Rush (2nd and 3rd step of Combat Order)
A figure may shield rush rapidly to close combat in hopes of knocking a figure down by running into them with the figures shield. The shield rusher makes an attack at the end of its movement. A figure must move 2 hex tiles in movement in a straight line before encountering hex elevations otherwise the figure cannot charge. The figure ignores elevated hexes ½ the figures height or less, once the charge is determined to be legal. A shield rush is considered a run, so you can’t run and shield rush at same time.
At the end of the rush, if he engages an enemy, that enemy gets a passing swipe with 1 additional attack dice, however the shield rusher also gets 1 additional attack dice for the figures shield rush.
Roll 1d20 and add +1 for each attack dice on army card of shield rusher, do the same for the defenders except add +1 for each defense dice on the army card of defender. Modifiers of +2 points for each size difference of attacker or defender (whoever is bigger); +1 if defender is unaware of the shield rush; -2 if defender has 4 or more legs. Whoever loses falls down prone on back. If both tie, both fall down prone.
Guarding figures with weapons longer then the charging figure automatically strike for ½ their attack dice (round down) to the charging figure.

Shield Wall
If several figures have shields depicted on their figures and all the figures are the same size, they then can form a shield wall. This gives figures coverage of 75% gaining +2 defensive dice against ranged combat. Figures n a shield wall may move up to ¼th their move without breaking apart.

Stunned
A stunned figure may not attack or move and only defend at ½ its original defense dice. A figure is stunned on a called shot to the ear or head or other circumstances.

Siege Warfare
These are a special set of army cards that can be incorporated into play but some things on the army cards need explaining. Most siege engines have a move of 0/45. This means at the end of the player’s (not army card) turn controlling the siege engine, it may pivot 45°. That would be one facing and the corner of a hex.
A move of 30/D means on that army cards turn, it may change facing up to 30°.
Can siege engine be moved? Sure. A siege engine may be moved one hex as long as it has its full compliment of crew, the terrain moving onto is level and the siege engine must give up its attack for that turn.
Some siege engines will have a range number with a slash capitalized alphabetical letter behind them. That means this is the smallest figure that it can target individually. Bombards, catapults, and trebuchets are indirect fire siege engines and a miss is determined on a scatter chart.
A siege engine that fires indirectly will achieve a height of double the range at its midpoint. This means it can also fire over obstacles if the object to be fired at is at the minimum of its range as stated on the army card. Anything closer to the siege engine can hit but the siege engine can only shoot something at the height of its range. The minimum range of any indirect fire siege engine is ½ of its range. Anything closer cannot be hit.
Siege engines don’t have personalities nor do they follow anyone, since the leader Utgar represents chaos and siege engines are considered chaotic in war, that army card was chosen.
A siege engine that has the words “attack or damage” in its special abilities is considered to be a special attack even if the card doesn’t say so.
Siege engines don’t have a height per se, of how much they can call or jump down without taking a wound. If moved off any ledge 3 hexes or more, the siege engine is destroyed. The height of the card represents how high in comparison the siege engine is.
Indirect fire siege engines do have attack modifiers; +1 if the target remained stationary on its turn; +2 for second and subsequent shot at stationary target; -1 if the target has a move greater then 3; -2 if target moving greater then 9.
Upon a miss with an indirect fire siege engine, roll the scatter diagram and 1d6. The dice roll is how many the siege engine shot landed away. If an indirect fire siege engine hits, roll the scatter diagram and roll a d4. It does half the damage after shields to any figure in that hex.
A direct fire siege engine is ballistae’s and cannons. They do not use a scatter diagram and either hit or miss. Direct fire engines do have attack modifiers; +1 if the target remained stationary on its turn; +2 for second and subsequent shot at stationary target; -1 if the target has a move greater then 3; -2 if target moving greater then 9.

Sitting, kneeling and prone (2nd step of Combat Order)
Figures may sit, kneel, or fall prone as a no-move action. Sitting or kneeling figures are slightly harder to hit with ranged weapons gaining a +1 defense dice. Sitting or kneeling figures may only engage with other figures up to ½ their height (round down) or cannot use range attacks over hex tiles that are more then ½ their height. In melee, other figures engaging the kneeling figure gets +2 additional attack dice.
Prone figures present very small missile targets and gain a defensive dice bonus of +2 against missile attacks. Unless on a elevated hextile above the target, a prone figure may only engage with other figures up to ¼ their height (rounded down) or cannot use range attacks over hex tiles more then ¼ their height. In melee, other figures engaging the prone figures gain +3 attack dice. Only figures depicting pistols and rifles may fire prone and some other weapons tool
Getting up from a kneeling or sitting position is considered a ½ move action, allowing the figure to move ½ his movement after getting up. Standing from a prone position is a full-move action, thus the character cannot do anything else except use a special ability.

Size for Attacking/Defending
Attacking size is
Small
Medium
Large
Huge
Gargantuan
Defending size is
X
X
X
X
X
Small
X
X
-1 att. dice
-1 att. dice
-2 att. dice
Medium
X
X
-1 att dice
-1 att dice
-1 att dice
Large
X
X
X
-1 att. dice
-1 att dice
Huge
+1 att dice
+1 att dice
X
X
-1 att dice
Gargantuan
+2 att dice
+1 att dice
+1 att. dice
X
X
Specializations (chosen after you pick a character)
Melee-40 points, figure gains +1 attack dice and a second attack at the end of a turn. Mark the figure in a way that the player knows it gets a second attack.
Ranged-50 points, if current range is 9+, you gain +1 attack dice and +1 range; if current range is 8-5, you gain +2 attack dice and +1 range; if current range is 4-2, you gain +2 attack dice, and +2 range; if current range is 1, you gain +2 attack dice, and +3 range. Note attack dice only applies to range attacks in this situation.

Special Talents (chosen after you pick ½ your starting point value)
These talents should be kept track of on a 3x5 card
Alertness- 10 points-Figures with this talent add +2 to initiative, do not suffer a –2 counterattack penalty when facing a rear-attack, and cannot be flanked.
Ambidextrious-10 points-Figures with this talent suffer no penalty with one weapon and –1 attack penalty with the other when using two weapons.
Ambush-10 points-A Figure with this talent that was 75-100% hidden from a targeted Figure the previous turn, may come out of hiding and as long as in range of the target figure and may immediately attack them gaining +2 attack dice, the defending figure is also stunned. Ambush works once per Figure and the target Figure must be announced during the move step.
Backward Kick-5 points-A Figure with this talent may choose to kick backwards at a rear-attacking enemy without a penalty. He must make an opposed awareness check. Both attacker and defender roll 1d20 and add +1 for each point of movement. If the defender wins, he may use backwards kick, which is a counterattack equal to his attack dice.
Camouflage-10 points-A Figure with this talent understands how to stay out of sight in natural surroundings. A Figure with this talent announces during the move step he is camouflaging himself, he then doesn’t move and makes a d20 roll +1 for each move point, trying to beat a 18 or better.

The following modifications to the die roll; -6 if trying to camouflage on level hextiles with no elevated hextiles adjacent; +2 if on rocky or sandy terrain; +3 if in forest- heavy, jungle or swamp terrain; +4 if Figure spends a turn in preparation. A successful camouflage and as long as the Figure don’t move means he cannot be attacked but nor can the camouflager attack.
A Figure may not camouflage if engaged or any Figure adjacent to him.
Dirty Fighting-5 points-A Figure with this talent uses a repertoire of feints, ruses, and various unsportsman-like tactics gaining +1 attack dice on his next turn if still engaged with that particular figure. A Figure may do one and only one dirty fighting tactic against a particular figure.
Endurance-5 points-A Figure with this talent never makes an exhaust check when running.
Fine Balance-10 points-A Figure with this talent does not suffer movement penalties of ice, sand, or snow. They ignore rain and fog conditions, any long jump modifiers and may immediately stand up after being prone.
Flying Kick-15 points-A Figure with this talent on a successful long jump may attack a figure adjacent to him before landing. The Flying kicker gets to make an attack with ½ of his attack dice. This does replace a normal or special attack. Only Humanoids may take the talent of Flying Kick.
Roll 1d20 and add +1 for each attack dice on army card of flying kicker, do the same for the defenders except add +1 for each defense dice on the army card of defender. Modifiers: +2 points for each size difference of attacker or defender (whoever is bigger); +1 if defender is unaware of the flying kick; -2 if defender has 4 or more legs. Whoever loses falls down prone on back. If both tie, both fall down prone.
Iron Will-10 points-A Figure with this talent may make a second defense roll if the first defense roll would result in the Figure destroyed. He or she must take the result of the second defense roll regardless. Krav Mag Agents, Warriors of Ashira, and those with similar abilities may not take the talent of Iron Will.
Leadership-5 points-A Figure that is a Unique Hero with this talent and within 3 LOS spaces of a squad allied to him may inspire the whole squad either with +1 attack dice or +1 defense dice. The squad gets the bonus on their turn. Leadership may be used once per turn announced during the 2nd step of Combat Order. (movement). The Unique Hero who calls on his Leadership may only make a half move after that.
Missile Deflection-10 points-A Figure with this talent can deflect against normal missiles from arrows, axes, bolts, javelins, small stones, and spears. The Figure gets to add one defense dice for purpose of it applies and needs only to score ½ the results of the attacker to deflect the missile. Missile Deflection may be used once each turn as counterattack.
Spring-10 points-A Figure with this talent may add 50% more to their height when high jumping and doesn’t need a run up start when long jumping. The figure may flip and twist in the air to land in any facing they want.

Terrain Encounters
Grasslands-No special Adjustments.

Forest, heavy-A mounted Figure moving at a run through a heavy forest may run into branches becoming unmounted. Roll a d20, on a roll of 1-3, the rider is unmounted, then stunned for the turn. Dense forest severely restricts flying Figures of size Large or bigger. Such Figures must land in a clear area and approach their enemy to from the ground.
Forest, Heavy adds a bonus defense dice to that Figure as long as they stay in the forest, heavy. In addition, any ranged attack is reduced by 1. A green tile set in an area can be designated as a heavy or light forest.

Forest, Light-Uses the first ability of forest, heavy. A ranged attack is not reduced in forest, light.

Rocky-May have deep gulches and boulders. When a Figure encounters rocky terrain for the first time and the hexes are elevated, roll 1d20, on a roll of 1-5, the Figure encounters boulders, 6-10 the Figure encounters a deep gulch and on a 11-20 the Figure encounters nothing.
Boulders occupy one hex, and are 3 hextiles in height. They may be pushed/thrown as a combat action. Boulders have 3 defense dice for purposes of pushing/throwing and move one hex downward plus one additional hex for each skull rolled move then the defense dice of the boulder. If the hex the boulder landed on is lower then the boulder’s starting position, the boulder will continue downward one hex until the hex it leaves and moves onto is level.

Boulders do 1 wound to any in its path unless the defenders dice is equal or greater then the attacker’s dice with the boulder. Beads or actual bits of rock represent boulders.
A deep gulch is represented by some kind of flat gray terrain. It is considered 1-2 hexes wide, 3-7 hexes deep and 2-5 hexes long with a run up at both ends allowing for exiting.

Sand-May have dunes on them. When a Figure encounters sand and it is elevated, roll a d20. On a roll of 1-10, there is a sand dune there. Dunes occupy 2 hexes and maybe represented by clay, poker chips or what have you. It cost 2 movement points to climb a dune but the occupier is considered 3 hexes taller.

A dune may collapse if more then one Figure occupies it. If so, all Figures on the dune must roll their defense dice and come up with a combined 10 or more shields or it collapses burying all Figures, which causes loss of movement for next 2 turns.

Trip (3rd step of Combat Order)
A figure may trip another figure up to one size larger then them. The figure must have something depicted on it that it can be used to trip, a polearm, net, rope etc, if so then make an attack, a large size or better may use their legs to trip.
If successful roll 1d20 for both attacker and defender adding +1 for each successful attack dice, subtracting -1 for each successful defense die. Modifiers are: +2 points for each size difference of attacker or defender (whoever is bigger); +1 if defender is unaware of the trip; -2 if defender has 4 or more legs; -3 if defender is stationary.
If attacker loses, he fails and is discovered. If defender fails, he is tripped prone falling on stomach.

Two Weapon Fighting (3rd step of combat order)
If the figure depicted is shown with two weapons somewhere, that figure may make an additional attack with the second weapon simultaneously though he suffers –1 attack dice penalty for the first weapon and –2 attack dice with the second weapon.

Withdraw (2nd step of Combat Order)
A figure may leave a hex that they are engaged with an opponent by backing away carefully without turning their back or creating a passing swipe for his opponent. The withdrawing figure may move straight backward up elevated hexes of ½ their height at ¼ their move, round down.

Leveling (Experience)
Attacking Figure is
4 man squad
3 man squad
Hero
Large/Huge
Gargantuan
Destroyed
Figure is
X
X
X
X
X
4 man squad
15-20 (30%)
16-20 (25%)
17-20 (20%)
18-20 (15%)
19-20 (10%)
3 man squad
13-20 (40%
15-20 (30%)
16-20 (25%)
17-20 (20%)
18-20 (15%)
Hero
11-20 (50%)
13-20 (40%)
15-20 (30%)
16-20 (25%)
17-20 (20%)
Large/Huge
9-20 (60%)
11-20 (50%)
13-20 (40%)
15-20 (30%)
16-20 (25%)
Gargantuan
7-20 (70%)
9-20 (60%)
11-20 (50%)
13-20 (40%)
15-20 (30%)

The numbers represent the number to roll on a d20 to level up, optionally, a player may roll the % die chance to level up.
A hero or huge figure may only level up once per squad if one or more squad members are destroyed from the same squad. A hero or huge figure may level up against different types of squads repeatedly. Squads may level up against other squads up to the max limit.
Note the “Lucky 20 sider” glyph does not affect the roll.

If a figure “LEVELS UP,” they get a land tile or appropriate object placed on the card representing their new level.

0-Regular (nothing on card)-normal starting level, no extra abilities on the Heroscape Army Card.

1-Veteran (Place a wound marker or appropriate on the card), +1 attack dice, +1 defense dice. Then choose one or two of extra abilities granted by veteran status; Replenish or Extra Life Tokens; Replenish brings back one squad member that was removed from the game. The squad member is placed back at the any hex in the starting area. A Hero may only replenish a squad of the same faction (color). A squad may only replenish one of its squad members.
Extra Life Tokens gives the hero 1 extra life token on the hero who destroyed the figure in the first place.

2-Elite (Place wound markers or appropriate on the stats), +1 move, +2 range if < (less then) 4, otherwise +1 range if range > (greater then) 4. Then choose one of two extra abilities from the veteran status (replenish or extra life tokens) and then either unlock a personality type or if a squad, the player may give the squad extra life token.

Disciplined-After moving, each figure with the disciplined personality may “Reform” (move ) adjacent to another disciplined personality. Figure to be reformed must be no more then 4 hexes away and/or 2 levels up in height. Squad members, even if they have the disciplined personality must move individually.
Ferocious-Before moving, figure may “Knock Back” all figures adjacent to it. Figures are knocked back 1 hex in a straight line and can be knocked back up to 1 hextile up in height. If the figure is unable to take the full knock back (edge of playing area, next hex is more then 1 hextile up in height, etc) then the figure is knocked back as much as possible/
Merciful-Automatic removal of 2 wounds on itself or automatic removal of 1 wound on another single figure within 2 CLOS hexes at the end of a game turn.
Precise-When rolling attack dice in a normal attack, the player of the figure automatically adds 1 skull to whatever is rolled.
Tricky-When rolling defense dice in a normal attack, the player of the figure automatically adds 1 shield to whatever is rolled.
Valiant-Gain “Transfer Wounds” The leveled up figure can receive the wounds of another figure within 3 LOS hexes at the end of the that player’s turn.
Wild-Gain “Wild Unforeseen” Any one stat is increased by 2, but then decrease by 1, another stat on that Army Card.

3-Ultimate- (Place a wound marker or appropriate on the card); +1 attack dice, +1 defense dice, then choose any two abilities of Veteran status (+1 attack, +1 defense, replenish or extra life token), one of the personality abilities of Elite status and one of the General Abilities below in which the Army Card serves. A character may not level up beyond Ultimate status.

Utgar-All blanks on a normal attacking roll count as skulls.
Jandar-All blanks on a normal defense roll count as shields.
Ullar-When this figure from this army is standing on a grass tile or adjacent to a tree, they gain the ability of “disengage and evasion”. A figure will never take passing swipes from leaving an engagement and any damage from special attack allows the figure to roll 1/2 his current defense dice again.
Terms Adjacent Exceptions: Most of the time, if a figure is next to another figure, they are adjacent. Here are the exceptions to the rules; If one figure’s base is on a hex level equal to or higher then the height of the other figure, they are not adjacent and therefore not engaged. If a ruin is between the two figures, both figures heights must be higher then the ruin to be engaged. If both figures heights are lower then the ruin or only one figures height is lower, they are not engaged. Attack-normal attack, a double attack is a normal attack. Counterstrike-All excess shields counts as skulls (attacks) against the adjacent opponent. Counterstrike may be used defensively anytime the figure is attacked and the ability applies. CLOS-Clear line of sight. The figure must be able to see 75% of the targeted area or more of the opponent’s figure. Engaged Figures: If one or your figures is engaged with one or more other figures, that figure can only attack those figures. A double-spaced figure can attack from either space. Engaged figures are those who are adjacent to another enemy figure. The figures facing doesn’t matter. Engaged figures can choose to ignore the engaging enemy figure and take another combat action, but this allows the engaging enemy to gain a passing swipe at them. The following situations create a passing swipe for figure engaged.
  • Attempting ranged combat at the engaging enemy other then the round both figures engage.
  • Moving away from the engaging enemy, including charging, running, but not withdraw
  • Turning a figures facing so that it now has its backside to the engaging enemy.
  • Attempting a grapple attack against any enemy figure that is showing weapons on the figure.
Move-A figure may move through its allies though there must be sufficient space for the figure to pass through. A Large figure in a tunnel can’t squeeze past two small figures for example.
LOS-Line of sight. Must be able to see any of the targeted area of the opponent’s figure.
Special Attack-will have the word special attack under its abilities in bold in the title. Most special attacks happen on the figures turn.
Checklist of things to do.
  1. Initiative-A 20 gets to move ½ its base score rounded down or a free normal attack. Check to see if figure is covering another figurine with a weapon. Check to see if figurine is making a called shot.
  2. Move- Check movement and footing chart. Check terrain adjustments. Charging, flying, jumping, running, pivoting, shield rush and withdraw all happen during this step. Sitting, kneeling, prone happen at the end of the move. Siege machines either move 30° or move 45° at the end of the move.
  3. Combat-A figure may not make both a special and normal attack. Check to see if figure using special talents. Check for higher/lower ground of figures, check the size difference of figures. Check to see if both attacker and defender has cover. Upon rolling dice, check to see if a critical is achieved. Check to see if a knockdown occurs. Check to see if defender can counterattack with a normal attack.
Firing into an engagement, the swoop of flying, grab, guard, make unconsciousness, overbear, rear attack, set a weapon, shield punch, shield rush, trip, two weapon fighting are all part of this step.
  1. Damage-Check to see if figure levels up.
  2. Check for a condition of the battle. Check for critical events.
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:54 AM

Post Re: Custom Rules

Here is our HS rules we play with, though alot of them can be seen as an option. We do play with the initiative rule and level rule alot. Warning wall of text here, and some of these rules have been culled from various sources, and edited for us. Enjoy or give feedback.

After determining Initiative, place the 3x5 (3 of them) taped together in front of you. When initiative orders are determined, reveal that army card with that initiative only by moving in front of the shield, the army card is with the special abilities is faced down and are revealed when used.
At the start of the turn, roll 1d20 initiative for each army card in your control. An army card rolling a 20 on a d20 may move at ½ (round down) their base move forward or make an free normal attack to any enemy figures within range. They only get one choice of two choices but not both. This does not hinder their normal move or normal attacks that would follow the bonus for rolling a 20 on a d20.
An army card rolling a 1-4 on a d20 cannot move for that turn. They may only employ defense and or defensive special abilities including withdraw.
Note replace the word “order marker” with the word “initiative’ on all the army cards and use the initiative system instead.

A figure becomes engaged when it moves adjacent to an opponent’s figure. Engaged figures may use a normal attack or special attack or special ability unless noted.
Adjacent Exceptions: Most of the time, if a figure is next to another figure, they are adjacent. Here are the exceptions to the rules:
If one figure’s base is on a hex level equal to or higher then the height of the other figure, they are not adjacent and therefore not engaged.
If a ruin is between the two figures, both figures heights must be higher then the ruin to be engaged. If both figures heights are lower then the ruin or only one figures height is lower, they are not engaged.
Engaged Figures: If one or your figures is engaged with one or more other figures, that figure can only attack those figures. A double-spaced figure can attack from either space.
Engaged figures are those who are adjacent to another enemy figure. The figures facing doesn’t matter. Engaged figures can choose to ignore the engaging enemy figure and take another combat action, but this allows the engaging enemy to gain a passing swipe at them. The following situations create a passing swipe for figure engaged.

Called shot (1
st step of Combat Order)
A called shot must be announced in the Initiative order and the Figure may not move during that turn. This takes place of a normal attack or special attack. Initiative of that figure calling the called shot is reduced immediately by a factor of 1.

Arms/Hands -1 base attack dice, arm disabled on a crit, that figure suffers -1 attack dice on normal attacks and may not move more then its height when moving up hextiles. Both arms disabled means figure suffers -2 attack dice on normal attacks and may not move up any hex elevations at all.

Ears -2 base attack dice Targeted figure loses -2 initiative on critical. Figure stunned 2
rounds. Figure loses 1 additional life point every other round. Figure’s move is reduced by 1/3 also. Both ears targeted means the figure is deafened and may not use special abilities that use sound. A deafened figures chance of surprised is increased by +1 on a d20 roll.

Eyes -2 base attack dice Blinded in that eye(s) on a crit, the figure suffers –2 defense dice penalty and move is reduced by 1/3 of normal. Both eyes targeted means that the figure suffers –2 defense dice, move is reduced by 2/3 or normal and figure may not run. A truly blinded figure has a 50% chance of hitting their enemy and the surprise roll increased by 2.

Head -3 base attack dice Double the skulls rolled on critical, if figure lives, then it must make a special Roll; roll the defense dice and score at least half the number written on army card or be stunned this and the following round.

Charge (2
nd step of Combat Order)
A figure may charge rapidly to close combat making an attack at the end of its movement. A figure must move ½ its move in a straight line before encountering hex elevations otherwise the figure cannot charge. The figure ignores elevated hexes ½ the figures height or less, once the charge is determined to be legal. A charging figure moves 1 ½ times his move. A charge is considered a run, so you cant run, and charge at the same time.
At the end of the charge, if he engages an enemy, that enemy gets a passing swipe with 1 additional attack dice, however the charger gets 2 additional attack dice for the figures charge.

Players should decide on the conditions that are present on the terrain hextile and these conditions should be picked before a draft is made.
An extremely still condition allows any movement from large or huge to be automatically heard and the large or huge creature can’t surprise anyone. Extremely still can affect the whole hextile terrain or just a portion of it, if a portion roll 1d20 for the width and length (1 roll), then using a yarn or string mark the area as appropriate.
All figures that can see the moving large or huge figure may automatically make passing swipes with appropriate range or engage them.
A Rainy condition reduces the total move of all army cards in that area by 1. A running figure must make a recovery roll at the end of his move, which is a base of 11 +1 per current movement of figure on a d20. Failure means figure slipped and falls prone on their back for one turn. Rain conditions reduce CLOS and LOS by 1 hex and reduces the attack dice by 1.
Rain last for 1d20 turns on ½ the hextile play set then resumes for 1d20 turns on the other half of the hextile play set.

Heavy Fog condition cost an additional movement point per hex moved. A running figure must make a Recovery Roll for every hex he or she travels in heavy fog. The roll is as above 11 +1 current movement of figure on a d20. Failure means the figure tripped over something and falls on back prone for duration of that turn.
Heavy Fog conditions reduce CLOS and LOs by 1 hex and subtracts 1 from the attack dice and 2 from the defense dice.
Heavy Fog last for 1d20 turns and has a width of 1d20 hexes and length 1d20 hexes and counts as a condition for surprise. Roll 1d8 for a cardinal direction with 1 representing actual north. A piece of yard laid out roughly to the hexes with scotch tape double sided every now and then makes for a good fog outline.

Night/Darkness
condition, all figures subtract 2 dice from all attack and defense rolls. Figures can see half their movement score in a night condition. If running at night, the figure moves in a random direction, this could be disastrous in the figure moves over a hex ledge.

In Total Darkness condition, all figures subtracts 3 from all attack and defense rolls and may only move 1/3 their movement regardless. You cannot run in total darkness.

When you can only see less then 50% of the hit area of a figure, that figure gets +1 def dice. If the cover situation cannot be fairly judged, rolled a d20 sided dice to dispute, highest wins.
When you can see less then 75% of the hit area of a figure, that figure gets +2 def dice.

A figure with a range greater then 1 can announce during the initiative step he is covering a particular hex within range and CLOS or a particular figure within CLOS. He cannot do both. This causes a –1 to the Initiative.
At any point after the Initiative, the covering character can attack the hex or covering figure with a ranged normal attack gaining +2 attack dice. A covering character may not move less he loose his chance to cover that hex.

Counter attack (out of initiative)
A figure counterattacking may not use special abilities nor can they level up beyond level 3 Elite with a counterattack. It makes sense it’s a lot harder to hit level 4 Ultimate figures with a counterattack then a level 3 Elite.
Counterattack may also be made after a rear attack though at –2 attack dice (minimum 1 dice) and you must pivot the figure to attack at the expense of a possible passing swipe from adjacent and engaged figures. A figure may only counterattack once per players turn not game turn regardless the number of attacking figures.

Critical (3rd step of Combat Order)
A figure must have 3 attacking dice total to eligible to give a crit. An attacker achieving 75% of skulls in attack dice causes a critical. Criticals cause double the damage plus modifiers. Refer to the chart below.
3 2 4 3
5 4 6 5
7 5 8 6
9 7 10 8
Modifiers: attacking figure is gargantuan or huge, damage after shields is x2; attacking figure is large damage after shields is x 1.5.
The defender must make a Retreat save, of 13 or better on a d20 + 1 for each point of successful defense shield rolled, -1 for each point of critical attack skull achieved on the critical.
If the defender fails, he must retreat back or to the sides one hex per point of the saved by (max of 7) of the attackers choice. Defenders who reach Elite level status never retreat.

Strange things happen in the fog of war. Many battles hinge on a lucky break or an unforeseen circumstance. Roll a d20 to determine the outcome of the critical event.
D20 roll Outcome
1-2 A random combatant has trouble with his armor. Roll 1d20 for exact problem. 1-9, helm/headgear or head in way of an attack. Lose 1 defense dice this round; 10-18, guard down, lose 2 defense dice this round; 19-20, just out there lose 3 defense dice this round. Note a figure will always have at least one defense dice.

3-4 Battlefield; a single hex tile decided by the player with the least to gain at this point during the game is destroyed.
5 Battlefield shifts; the tide of battle carries all figures 1d20 –10 (negative counts as 0) hexes in random direction. The player with the least to gain at this point decides the direction. Nobody gains any passing swipes.
6 Close quarters; two enemies that previously were engaged find themselves grappling.
7 Item damage; random figure that was attacked last turn has a weapon damaged by a wild swing. If the weapon allows use of a special ability or attack, then reduce that ability by a factor or 1, whether it is attack dice, defense dice, move, range, or life. The person controlling the figure decides.
8 Item dropped; random combatant must spend a round picking up the weapon, no normal attacks possible this round.
9-11 Knock down; a random combatant that was engaged in melee is knocked to the ground by collision with someone near him.
12 Lucky break; random figure is favored by fate and gains +2 defense dice this round.
13 Lucky opening, random figure is favored by fate and gained +2 attack dice this round.
14-15 Mount trouble (if mounted otherwise roll again), random figure experiences mount difficulty, roll 1d20. 1-9. mount bolts, running in a random direction; 10-18 mount rears, figure falls prone on back to ground; 19-20 Lose a turn regaining control of mount.
16 Reinforcements; another copy of a random army card shows up at your starting point. The unique rule does not apply here.
17 Retreat; random player whose figures were engaged last turn drives back all other engaged figures 1d20-10 (negative counts as 0) hexes towards their starting point. The figures may follow at no penalty to movement, nor is they’re any passing swipes.
19-20 Withdraw; random figure disengages from the enemy as per withdraw rules. This does not cause passing swipe.

A few Army Cards have special abilities of familiars. These familiars are considered to have base stats of 1 where appropriate. Thus, they can only be attacked with a special attack. They cannot be attacked by normal means. If an special attacks destroy the familiar, the controlling player of the familiar rolls a d20 on a roll of a 13-20, the familiar rises from its death reborn to be use on the next time that army card would get initiative.
If a failed roll, the familiar rises from its death automatically 1 turn later, the next time that army card would get initiative. (2 players turns). Place one or two black markers on the card beside the special ability, and then remove one or two black markers when that army card has initiative. The markers represent the number of turns, depending on the player’s roll when the familiar comes back.

Familiars may attempt to help “level up” a figure to level 2 but not to level 3. When the figure levels up to level 2, the familiar will gain base stats of 2 where appropriate. A familiar will not gain stats beyond 2 no matter how leveled up the figure is.
When entering a different terrain the first time or leaving a different terrain into different terrain, roll a d20, on a 11-20, your figure encounters an non-playable hostile denizen that has stats of 1 where appropriate. Use a marker as appropriate to designate a swamp denizen. This represents the different types of various encounters a hero faces.
If a figure does not destroy the hostile denizen, it remains on the hex it was last engaged and will move toward any non-terrain denizens (other characters) that moves into the territory. A figure cannot level up by destroying familiars, tokens, or hostile denizens. The player that has the least to gain game wise attacks and defends for the swamp denizen/token using the base stats of the denizen/token.

If a figure wishes to use a ranged weapon or ranged attack to attack any figures in an engagement, assign the figures in the engagement points. Each small-sized figure gets ½ a point, a medium-sized figure gets 1 point each, large figures gets 2 points each, huge figures gets 4 points each and gargantuan 6 points each.
Add the total up round to the nearest whole die and roll using the points as a spread system. For example, if an figure wants to fire a ranged weapon into a engagement and there is 4 small figures, 2 large figures and 1 huge figure, you would assign 2 points to the small, 4 points to the large and 4 points to the huge figure for a total of 10. You then would roll a 10 sided- die. On a roll of 1-2, the small figures would be hit, 3-6, the large figures would be hit, and 7-10 the huge figure would be hit.

As a option, and loss of 2 attack dice, the figure may fire at large, or bigger figures involved in the engagement guaranteeing that they will only be hit. If the figure is small, they may do the same thing to medium sized figures involved in the engagement.

A figure that wishes not to land will continue to fly level at whatever height they began their flight. A flyer may climb at 1/2 their move. This counts as a full-move action, so the flyer can do nothing else that turn. A player needs to keep a record of how high the flying figure is.
Figures with flying ignore elevations, water, ice, snow, tiles and ruins without stopping or becoming engaged. When a flyer starts to fly, and they don’t have stealth flying special ability, if they are engaged, they will take any passing swipes upon leaving.
A flyer may end his movement in the air and try to hover, if they can succeed at a Hover roll. A hover roll is the current move dice. This is modified by –1 for every 5 vertical hex tiles the figure is in the air. A player needs ¾ (75%) the total dice to hover successfully (rounded down). Use the table below to determine results needed.
3 2 4 3 5 4
6 5 7 5 8 6
9 7 10 8 11 8
A flying figure failing a hover roll will fall a number of hexes in its height before recovering. If the fall causes it to hit the hex terrain, it crashes resulting in 1 wound. If the flying figure does not crash, it regains ½ the height it fell for that turn at the end of that players turn.
Flying figures may not use the jump action since it is already incorporated into the flying mechanic.
A flying figure may swoop diving out of the sky to snatch figures one size smaller then it. A diving figure moves at double its move. Upon contact with the opponent, that opponent who is getting swooped upon gains a passing swipe first, then the swooper makes a swoop roll, a swoop roll is an d20 +1 for every 5 vertical hextiles it is up in the air. A 17 or better is needed on the d20.
Failure of 5 or less then the roll needed causes it to clip the ground resulting in 1 wound, but it still gains ½ the height it dove for that round (not to exceed their movement) at the end of that player’s turn. Failure of more then 10 causes the swooper to take damage as if it had fallen equal to the hexes it had attained in height.

Success means the person swooped is now under an attack, the swooper (attacker) gets to add +1 attack dice for every 5 vertical hextiles the swooper in the air. If they get through the defenses, they have done no damage but snatched the figure up in their appendages gaining altitude equal to ½ their diving height not to exceed their movement at the end of that players turn.
The snatched figure may be dropped as a combat action or the combat can continue with a normal attack or special attack as they were adjacent to each otehr, but the character swooped upon has with a penalty of –2 attack dice.

Sometimes in the course of the game, it will become important to grab representative items from a figure. This might be capturing a flag; retrieve a potion or what have you. The figure that wishes to grab something rolls a d20 and adds +1 for each point of movement. The defender does the same. High roll manages to grab the item.

Whenever a character uses the guard action, she waits for her opponents to come to her. A guarding figure announces she is guarding in the initiative step. A guarding figure strikes the moment an attacker moves into engagement range (which is usually 1). Choosing the guard action means the figure doesn’t move for that round.
A guarding figure with weapons longer then a charging figure automatically strikes for ½ their attack dice to the charger. A judge should be consulted if there is discrepancy on the weapon being set. Generally, if the weapon is a polearm or spear of some sort, the guard action should be allowed.

Higher Ground
If the attackers waist is higher then his opponents head or if the attacker is 2 hextiles higher up then the enemy, he gains +1 attack dice. This does not apply to swoop tactics.
If the defenders waist is higher then his opponents head or if the defender is 2 hextiles higher up then the enemy, he gains +1 to the defense dice.

Figures may high jump, broad jump, and long jump onto cliffs, ledges, over obstacles and into other hexes.
A figure may high jump up to their height by rolling their move dice. A figure needs ½ the results in either skulls or shields. A figure wishing to high jump must be adjacent to the object high jumped to and the hex landed on must be able to support the figure. Failure results in the figure landing in the same hex.
A figure may also high jump 1/3 more then their height to an overhang, or railing if applicable. A successful high jump allows them to grasp the overhang, the railing, or ruins for that turn. On their next turn, they may lift themselves up to the hex or up and over the hex.
A figure may broad jump over an obstacle (this can be figures) by rolling their move dice. A figure may broad jump up to 75% of their height with a clear line of sight to the obstacle and running start equal to 1/3 their move. The figure will land one hex just past the obstacle not to exceed their movement. Look at the move number chart first to determine the running start, check the height table, then make a move roll, then look at the results on the 3 rd table below.
A figure may also do a standing broad jump, but needs 75% of their move dice to be shields or skulls.
A long jump is determined by the tables below, the run up start table and height table are the same. It is the same as the broad jump tables.
A figure attains ½ her height stat in actual height at the midpoint of the jump. Should the figures collide with something at the midpoint, she falls, suffering any falling damage. Failure results at the midpoint of the jump, indicating possible falling damage, and falling prone on stomach.
Note running start does not mean the figure is actually running it is assumed the figure will do a run up in the attempted broad jump or high jump.
X needed X needed X needed
3 1 4 1 5 2
6 2 7 2 8 3
9 3 10 3 11 3
1 1 2 1 3 2
4 3 5 4 6 4
7 5 8 6 9 7
1 2 2 3 3 4
4 5 5 7 6 8
7 9 8 10 9 11
The run up does not count towards the Figures jump movement, though any base movement left over after a successful jump is wasted. A figure long jumps by using there move dice.
Modifiers: Surface being jumped from is concealed (overhang above jumper) +1 skull needed; slippery from rain, uneven (has elevated hextile at beginning of jump) or unstable (top or overhang, or adjacent to water) +1 skull needed; Night/Darkness +1 skull needed.
Elevation of takeoff surface is below target surface +1 skull/shield needed for every 2 levels higher the target surface is. Elevation of take off surface is above target surface –1 skull/shield needed for every 2 levels higher the takeoff surface is.
Size: small –1 skull/shield needed, medium 0 skulls/shields needed, large and huge creatures +1 skull/shield needed, gargantuan +2 skulls/shields needed.

Big creatures can smash their opponents into the ground with brute strength. Knockdowns occur when a bigger figure rolls ½ of more skulls in attack dice and the defending figure rolls no shields in defense dice. The defending figure is then knocked down prone on its back and must spend a full move action on its next turn to stand up.

Last Man Standing
The last member of a squad not yet destroyed may make a avoid destruction roll at any time it would be destroyed. The roll is made once a turn if engaged, squads can’t live forever, roll a d20, on a roll of 17-20, and the squad member avoids the damage and must move one hex away from the figure that damaged it. Last man standing may be evoked once per combat.

There may be times when a figure wants to knock out another figure as to capture him or her. If the attacker can make a rear attack then he makes an attack roll with +1 additional dice. The defender may still use the rear attack rule to pivot around, losing 2 defense dice. Note, you do not need to attempt a rear attack to make a figure unconscious, but if you attempt from a front facing, the defender gets to make an immediate passing swipe at you.
If the attacker’s dice beats the defenders dice by 2, then the figure is stunned this turn, see stunned and all damage is doubled. If a figure would be reduced to zero life, he is unconscious instead. If the figure is reduced to less then 0 life, then it dies.

A figure may only attempt to make unconscious another figure one size bigger then it.

Movement and Footing
Knee-deep Snow/Water-Movement cost of 2
Shoulder-deep Snow/Water-Movement cost of 3 Rocky-Movement cost of 2 Sand-Movement cost of 2

A squad with all its members adjacent to a figure may attempt to overbear that figure. The squad makes an attack getting +1 for each member involved in the overbearing. No damage is dealt, instead, excess skulls count as squad member grappling hold of an appendage (arm or leg) and when ¾ of the appendages are held, the defender is overborne and pulled to the ground prone. Naturally, a prone figure on their turn spends all their movement standing up, but each attacker gets a passing swipe at the defender as he stands up.
For every size of the attacker is bigger then the defender +1 additional attack dice is gained.

For every size of the defender is bigger then the attacker, +1 additional defense dice is gained.
If the defender has four or more legs, that defender gains +2 additional defense dice.
The size of creatures in Heroscape is small, medium, large, huge, and gargantuan.

A double hexed figure may pivot at the beginning or middle of their move, but this counts as one movement space.
A figure may pivot up to 180 degrees in any direction as long as they don’t pivot into other figures at the end of their move. This counts as a free action. The pivot must be able to support the figure. Once a figure is pivoted, a player says he is done moving the figure, or 15 seconds have elapsed after he last touched it, then the figure stays exactly where it is.

If a figure is able to position itself for a rear or flank attack, it gains a significant advantage. A rear attack gets +1 attack dice and a flanking attack gives each flanking figure a +1 attack dice.
Your figure must be directly behind in the adjacent hex of the defending figure, furthermore, your figure must have CLOS to the figure and the figure’s weapon that is depicted must be able to reach/target the defender’s back. The figure must have a defined back where a weapon could pierce, hit, or shoot. Generally, a figure may only use a rear attack against other figures one size larger then it or one size smaller.
A defending figure is allowed a counter attack against a rear-attacking figure. The defending figure must be able to pivot 180° as a free action and counter attacks with 2 less attack dice. If the figure cannot pivot, then they are denied a counter attack for purposes of countering a rear attack.
Your figure may flank a defender if only you have another figure you control, directly across from you on the opposite side of flanking figure. Defenders may counterattack against one flanking figure regardless of the number of flanking figures. Flanking allows the attackers +1 attack dice to use for that flanking situation.

A figure may run by doubling his movement. Running is a full-move action, the figure cant do anything else in the same round that he runs. A figure suffers a defense dice penalty of –1 dice. If he runs into a set weapon, he is considered charging. A running figure must make an exhaustion check by rolling at least 10 + the army cards defense dice (round down) on a d20 or spend the next turn exhausted. Place an already overturned order marker or something similar to show the figure is exhausted.
Exhausted figures cannot move for this round and next one and may only attack with ½ their attack dice but may defend including withdraw, with any special defensive abilities.

A figure may set a weapon of length like a polearm (must be a weapon of length player against an enemy figure that is charging or running, even if the running figure has ended his movement but is adjacent/engaged with the figure setting the weapon. The charger or runner in this instance gets a passing swipe.
Setting the weapon as an out of initiative attack and is a free action to set the weapon but does count against the attack step. As long as the weapon of length can reach into the hex of the running or charging figure, then the figure can set the weapon. A set weapon automatically does ½ (round down) the figures attack dice to the charging or running figure.

A figure with a shield depicted on it may forgo some of its defense to gain an extra attack. The bearer of the shield punch must suffer –3 dice defense penalty but gains and immediate extra attack with his shield.
Make a normal attack and if successful add a like number of damage according to the shield type; small 1 damage, medium 2 damage, large 3 damage. If there are multiple opponent’s adjacent to the shield puncher, he may strike them as well (maximum of 2), then the shield puncher may make an additional shield punch at –1 attack dice on the other adjacent figure.

A figure may shield rush rapidly to close combat in hopes of knocking a figure down by running into them with the figures shield. The shield rusher makes an attack at the end of its movement. A figure must move 2 hex tiles in movement in a straight line before encountering hex elevations otherwise the figure cannot charge. The figure ignores elevated hexes ½ the figures height or less, once the charge is determined to be legal. A shield rush is considered a run, so you can’t run and shield rush at same time.
At the end of the rush, if he engages an enemy, that enemy gets a passing swipe with 1 additional attack dice, however the shield rusher also gets 1 additional attack dice for the figures shield rush.
Roll 1d20 and add +1 for each attack dice on army card of shield rusher, do the same for the defenders except add +1 for each defense dice on the army card of defender. Modifiers of +2 points for each size difference of attacker or defender (whoever is bigger); +1 if defender is unaware of the shield rush; -2 if defender has 4 or more legs. Whoever loses falls down prone on back. If both tie, both fall down prone.

Shield Wall
If several figures have shields depicted on their figures and all the figures are the same size, they then can form a shield wall. This gives figures coverage of 75% gaining +2 defensive dice against ranged combat. Figures n a shield wall may move up to ¼th their move without breaking apart.

Stunned
A stunned figure may not attack or move and only defend at ½ its original defense dice. A figure is stunned on a called shot to the ear or head or other circumstances.

Siege Warfare
These are a special set of army cards that can be incorporated into play but some things on the army cards need explaining. Most siege engines have a move of 0/45. This means at the end of the player’s (not army card) turn controlling the siege engine, it may pivot 45°. That would be one facing and the corner of a hex.
Can siege engine be moved? Sure. A siege engine may be moved one hex as long as it has its full compliment of crew, the terrain moving onto is level and the siege engine must give up its attack for that turn.
Some siege engines will have a range number with a slash capitalized alphabetical letter behind them. That means this is the smallest figure that it can target individually. Bombards, catapults, and trebuchets are indirect fire siege engines and a miss is determined on a scatter chart.
A siege engine that fires indirectly will achieve a height of double the range at its midpoint. This means it can also fire over obstacles if the object to be fired at is at the minimum of its range as stated on the army card. Anything closer to the siege engine can hit but the siege engine can only shoot something at the height of its range. The minimum range of any indirect fire siege engine is ½ of its range. Anything closer cannot be hit.
Siege engines don’t have personalities nor do they follow anyone, since the leader Utgar represents chaos and siege engines are considered chaotic in war, that army card was chosen.
A siege engine that has the words “attack or damage” in its special abilities is considered to be a special attack even if the card doesn’t say so.
Siege engines don’t have a height per se, of how much they can call or jump down without taking a wound. If moved off any ledge 3 hexes or more, the siege engine is destroyed. The height of the card represents how high in comparison the siege engine is.
Indirect fire siege engines do have attack modifiers; +1 if the target remained stationary on its turn; +2 for second and subsequent shot at stationary target; -1 if the target has a move greater then 3; -2 if target moving greater then 9.
Upon a miss with an indirect fire siege engine, roll the scatter diagram and 1d6. The dice roll is how many the siege engine shot landed away. If an indirect fire siege engine hits, roll the scatter diagram and roll a d4. It does half the damage after shields to any figure in that hex.
A direct fire siege engine is ballistae’s and cannons. They do not use a scatter diagram and either hit or miss. Direct fire engines do have attack modifiers; +1 if the target remained stationary on its turn; +2 for second and subsequent shot at stationary target; -1 if the target has a move greater then 3; -2 if target moving greater then 9.

Figures may sit, kneel, or fall prone as a no-move action. Sitting or kneeling figures are slightly harder to hit with ranged weapons gaining a +1 defense dice. Sitting or kneeling figures may only engage with other figures up to ½ their height (round down) or cannot use range attacks over hex tiles that are more then ½ their height. In melee, other figures engaging the kneeling figure gets +2 additional attack dice.
Prone figures present very small missile targets and gain a defensive dice bonus of +2 against missile attacks. Unless on a elevated hextile above the target, a prone figure may only engage with other figures up to ¼ their height (rounded down) or cannot use range attacks over hex tiles more then ¼ their height. In melee, other figures engaging the prone figures gain +3 attack dice. Only figures depicting pistols and rifles may fire prone and some other weapons tool
Getting up from a kneeling or sitting position is considered a ½ move action, allowing the figure to move ½ his movement after getting up. Standing from a prone position is a full-move action, thus the character cannot do anything else except use a special ability.

Attacking size is Small Medium Large Huge Gargantuan
Defending size is X X X X X
Small X X -1 att. dice -1 att. dice -2 att. dc
Medium X X -1 att dice -1 att dice -1 att dce
Large X X X -1 att. dice -1 att dice
Huge +1 att dice +1 att dice X X -1 att dice
Gargantuan +2 att dice +1 att dice +1 att. dice X X

Melee-40 points, figure gains +1 attack dice and a second attack at the end of a turn. Mark the figure in a way that the player knows it gets a second attack.
Ranged-50 points, if current range is 9+, you gain +1 attack dice and +1 range; if current range is 8-5, you gain +2 attack dice and +1 range; if current range is 4-2, you gain +2 attack dice, and +2 range; if current range is 1, you gain +2 attack dice, and +3 range. Note attack dice only applies to range attacks in this situation.

Alertness- 10 points-Figures with this talent add +2 to initiative, do not suffer a –2 counterattack penalty when facing a rear-attack, and cannot be flanked.
Ambidextrious-10 points-Figures with this talent suffer no penalty with one weapon and –1 attack penalty with the other when using two weapons.
Ambush-10 points-A Figure with this talent that was 75-100% hidden from a targeted Figure the previous turn, may come out of hiding and as long as in range of the target figure and may immediately attack them gaining +2 attack dice, the defending figure is also stunned. Ambush works once per Figure and the target Figure must be announced during the move step.
Backward Kick-5 points-A Figure with this talent may choose to kick backwards at a rear-attacking enemy without a penalty. He must make an opposed awareness check. Both attacker and defender roll 1d20 and add +1 for each point of movement. If the defender wins, he may use backwards kick, which is a counterattack equal to his attack dice.
Camouflage-10 points-A Figure with this talent understands how to stay out of sight in natural surroundings. A Figure with this talent announces during the move step he is camouflaging himself, he then doesn’t move and makes a d20 roll +1 for each move point, trying to beat a 18 or better.
The following modifications to the die roll; -6 if trying to camouflage on level hextiles with no elevated hextiles adjacent; +2 if on rocky or sandy terrain; +3 if in forest- heavy, jungle or swamp terrain; +4 if Figure spends a turn in preparation. A successful camouflage and as long as the Figure don’t move means he cannot be attacked but nor can the camouflager attack.

Dirty Fighting-5 points-A Figure with this talent uses a repertoire of feints, ruses, and various unsportsman-like tactics gaining +1 attack dice on his next turn if still engaged with that particular figure. A Figure may do one and only one dirty fighting tactic against a particular figure.
Endurance-5 points-A Figure with this talent never makes an exhaust check when running.
Fine Balance-10 points-A Figure with this talent does not suffer movement penalties of ice, sand, or snow. They ignore rain and fog conditions, any long jump modifiers and may immediately stand up after being prone.
Flying Kick-15 points-A Figure with this talent on a successful long jump may attack a figure adjacent to him before landing. The Flying kicker gets to make an attack with ½ of his attack dice. This does replace a normal or special attack. Only Humanoids may take the talent of Flying Kick.
Roll 1d20 and add +1 for each attack dice on army card of flying kicker, do the same for the defenders except add +1 for each defense dice on the army card of defender. Modifiers: +2 points for each size difference of attacker or defender (whoever is bigger); +1 if defender is unaware of the flying kick; -2 if defender has 4 or more legs. Whoever loses falls down prone on back. If both tie, both fall down prone.
Iron Will-10 points-A Figure with this talent may make a second defense roll if the first defense roll would result in the Figure destroyed. He or she must take the result of the second defense roll regardless. Krav Mag Agents, Warriors of Ashira, and those with similar abilities may not take the talent of Iron Will.
Leadership-5 points-A Figure that is a Unique Hero with this talent and within 3 LOS spaces of a squad allied to him may inspire the whole squad either with +1 attack dice or +1 defense dice. The squad gets the bonus on their turn. Leadership may be used once per turn announced during the 2nd step of Combat Order. (movement). The Unique Hero who calls on his Leadership may only make a half move after that.
Missile Deflection-10 points-A Figure with this talent can deflect against normal missiles from arrows, axes, bolts, javelins, small stones, and spears. The Figure gets to add one defense dice for purpose of it applies and needs only to score ½ the results of the attacker to deflect the missile. Missile Deflection may be used once each turn as counterattack.
Spring-10 points-A Figure with this talent may add 50% more to their height when high jumping and doesn’t need a run up start when long jumping. The figure may flip and twist in the air to land in any facing they want.

Terrain Encounters

Forest, heavy-A mounted Figure moving at a run through a heavy forest may run into branches becoming unmounted. Roll a d20, on a roll of 1-3, the rider is unmounted, then stunned for the turn. Dense forest severely restricts flying Figures of size Large or bigger. Such Figures must land in a clear area and approach their enemy to from the ground.
Forest, Heavy adds a bonus defense dice to that Figure as long as they stay in the forest, heavy. In addition, any ranged attack is reduced by 1. A green tile set in an area can be designated as a heavy or light forest.

Forest, Light-Uses the first ability of forest, heavy. A ranged attack is not reduced in forest, light.

Rocky-May have deep gulches and boulders. When a Figure encounters rocky terrain for the first time and the hexes are elevated, roll 1d20, on a roll of 1-5, the Figure encounters boulders, 6-10 the Figure encounters a deep gulch and on a 11-20 the Figure encounters nothing.
Boulders occupy one hex, and are 3 hextiles in height. They may be pushed/thrown as a combat action. Boulders have 3 defense dice for purposes of pushing/throwing and move one hex downward plus one additional hex for each skull rolled move then the defense dice of the boulder. If the hex the boulder landed on is lower then the boulder’s starting position, the boulder will continue downward one hex until the hex it leaves and moves onto is level.
Boulders do 1 wound to any in its path unless the defenders dice is equal or greater then the attacker’s dice with the boulder. Beads or actual bits of rock represent boulders.
A deep gulch is represented by some kind of flat gray terrain. It is considered 1-2 hexes wide, 3-7 hexes deep and 2-5 hexes long with a run up at both ends allowing for exiting.

Sand-May have dunes on them. When a Figure encounters sand and it is elevated, roll a d20. On a roll of 1-10, there is a sand dune there. Dunes occupy 2 hexes and maybe represented by clay, poker chips or what have you. It cost 2 movement points to climb a dune but the occupier is considered 3 hexes taller.
A dune may collapse if more then one Figure occupies it. If so, all Figures on the dune must roll their defense dice and come up with a combined 10 or more shields or it collapses burying all Figures, which causes loss of movement for next 2 turns.

A figure may trip another figure up to one size larger then them. The figure must have something depicted on it that it can be used to trip, a polearm, net, rope etc, if so then make an attack, a large size or better may use their legs to trip.
If successful roll 1d20 for both attacker and defender adding +1 for each successful attack dice, subtracting -1 for each successful defense die. Modifiers are: +2 points for each size difference of attacker or defender (whoever is bigger); +1 if defender is unaware of the trip; -2 if defender has 4 or more legs; -3 if defender is stationary.
If attacker loses, he fails and is discovered. If defender fails, he is tripped prone falling on stomach.

If the figure depicted is shown with two weapons somewhere, that figure may make an additional attack with the second weapon simultaneously though he suffers –1 attack dice penalty for the first weapon and –2 attack dice with the second weapon.

A figure may leave a hex that they are engaged with an opponent by backing away carefully without turning their back or creating a passing swipe for his opponent. The withdrawing figure may move straight backward up elevated hexes of ½ their height at ¼ their move, round down.

Leveling (Experience)
Attacking Figure is 4 man squad 3 man squad Hero Large/Huge Gargantuan
Destroyed Figure is X X X X X
4 man squad 15-20 16-20 17-20 18-20 19-20
3 man squad 13-20 15-20 16-20 17-20 18-20
Hero 11-20 13-20 15-20 16-20 17-20
Large/Huge 9-20 11-20 13-20 15-20 16-20
Gargantuan 7-20 9-20 11-20 13-20 15-20
The numbers represent the number to roll on a d20 to level up, optionally, a player may roll the % die chance to level up.
A hero or huge figure may only level up once per squad if one or more squad members are destroyed from the same squad. A hero or huge figure may level up against different types of squads repeatedly. Squads may level up against other squads up to the max limit.
If a figure “LEVELS UP,” they get a land tile or appropriate object placed on the card representing their new level.

0-Regular (nothing on card)-normal starting level, no extra abilities on the Heroscape Army Card.

1-Veteran (Place a wound marker or appropriate on the card), +1 attack dice, +1 defense dice. Then choose one or two of extra abilities granted by veteran status; Replenish or Extra Life Tokens; Replenish brings back one squad member that was removed from the game. The squad member is placed back at the any hex in the starting area. A Hero may only replenish a squad of the same faction (color). A squad may only replenish one of its squad members.
Extra Life Tokens gives the hero 1 extra life token on the hero who destroyed the figure in the first place.

2-Elite (Place wound markers or appropriate on the stats), +1 move, +2 range if < (less then) 4, otherwise +1 range if range > (greater then) 4. Then choose one of two extra abilities from the veteran status (replenish or extra life tokens) and then either unlock a personality type or if a squad, the player may give the squad extra life token.

Disciplined-After moving, each figure with the disciplined personality may “Reform” (move ) adjacent to another disciplined personality. Figure to be reformed must be no more then 4 hexes away and/or 2 levels up in height. Squad members, even if they have the disciplined personality must move individually.
Ferocious-Before moving, figure may “Knock Back” all figures adjacent to it. Figures are knocked back 1 hex in a straight line and can be knocked back up to 1 hextile up in height. If the figure is unable to take the full knock back (edge of playing area, next hex is more then 1 hextile up in height, etc) then the figure is knocked back as much as possible/
Merciful-Automatic removal of 2 wounds on itself or automatic removal of 1 wound on another single figure within 2 CLOS hexes at the end of a game turn.
Precise-When rolling attack dice in a normal attack, the player of the figure automatically adds 1 skull to whatever is rolled.
Tricky-When rolling defense dice in a normal attack, the player of the figure automatically adds 1 shield to whatever is rolled.
Valiant-Gain “Transfer Wounds” The leveled up figure can receive the wounds of another figure within 3 LOS hexes at the end of the that player’s turn.
Wild-Gain “Wild Unforeseen” Any one stat is increased by 2, but then decrease by 1, another stat on that Army Card.

3-Ultimate- (Place a wound marker or appropriate on the card); +1 attack dice, +1 defense dice, then choose any two abilities of Veteran status (+1 attack, +1 defense, replenish or extra life token), one of the personality abilities of Elite status and one of the General Abilities below in which the Army Card serves. A character may not level up beyond Ultimate status.

Ullar-When this figure from this army is standing on a grass tile or adjacent to a tree, they gain the ability of “disengage and evasion”. A figure will never take passing swipes from leaving an engagement and any damage from special attack allows the figure to roll 1/2 his current defense dice again.

Terms

Adjacent Exceptions:
Most of the time, if a figure is next to another figure, they are adjacent. Here are the exceptions to the rules; If one figure’s base is on a hex level equal to or higher then the height of the other figure, they are not adjacent and therefore not engaged. If a ruin is between the two figures, both figures heights must be higher then the ruin to be engaged. If both figures heights are lower then the ruin or only one figures height is lower, they are not engaged.
Attack-normal attack, a double attack is a normal attack.

Counterstrike-All excess shields counts as skulls (attacks) against the adjacent opponent. Counterstrike may be used defensively anytime the figure is attacked and the ability applies.
CLOS
-Clear line of sight. The figure must be able to see 75% of the targeted area or more of the opponent’s figure.

Engaged Figures
: If one or your figures is engaged with one or more other figures, that figure can only attack those figures. A double-spaced figure can attack from either space.

Move-A figure may move through its allies though there must be sufficient space for the figure to pass through. A Large figure in a tunnel can’t squeeze past two small figures for example.
LOS-Line of sight. Must be able to see any of the targeted area of the opponent’s figure.
Special Attack-will have the word special attack under its abilities in bold in the title. Most special attacks happen on the figures turn.

1. Initiative-A 20 gets to move ½ its base score rounded down or a free normal attack. Check to see if figure is covering another figurine with a weapon. Check to see if figurine is making a called shot.
  2. Move- Check movement and footing chart. Check terrain adjustments. Charging, flying, jumping, running, pivoting, shield rush and withdraw all happen during this step. Sitting, kneeling, prone happen at the end of the move. Siege machines either move 30° or move 45° at the end of the move.
  3. Combat-A figure may not make both a special and normal attack. Check to see if figure using special talents. Check for higher/lower ground of figures, check the size difference of figures. Check to see if both attacker and defender has cover. Upon rolling dice, check to see if a critical is achieved. Check to see if a knockdown occurs. Check to see if defender can counterattack with a normal attack.
Firing into an engagement, the swoop of flying, grab, guard, make unconsciousness, overbear, rear attack, set a weapon, shield punch, shield rush, trip, two weapon fighting are all part of this step.
4. Damage-Check to see if figure levels up.
5. Check for a condition of the battle. Check for critical events.
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:59 AM

Here is our HS rules we play with, though alot of them can be seen as an option. We do play with the initiative rule and level rule alot. Warning wall of text here, and some of these rules have been culled from various sources, and edited for us. Enjoy or give feedback.

Called shot (1
st step of Combat Order)

Arms/Hands -1 base attack dice, arm disabled on a crit, that figure suffers -1 attack dice on normal attacks and may not move more then its height when moving up hextiles. Both arms disabled means figure suffers -2 attack dice on normal attacks and may not move up any hex elevations at all.

Charge (2
nd step of Combat Order)

Night/Darkness
condition, all figures subtract 2 dice from all attack and defense rolls. Figures can see half their movement score in a night condition. If running at night, the figure moves in a random direction, this could be disastrous in the figure moves over a hex ledge.

Counter attack (out of initiative)
A figure counterattacking may not use special abilities nor can they level up beyond level 3 Elite with a counterattack. It makes sense it’s a lot harder to hit level 4 Ultimate figures with a counterattack then a level 3 Elite.
Counterattack may also be made after a rear attack though at –2 attack dice (minimum 1 dice) and you must pivot the figure to attack at the expense of a possible passing swipe from adjacent and engaged figures. A figure may only counterattack once per players turn not game turn regardless the number of attacking figures.

Critical (3rd step of Combat Order)
3 2 4 3
5 4 6 5
7 5 8 6
9 7 10 8

D20 roll Outcome

3 2 4 3 5 4
6 5 7 5 8 6
9 7 10 8 11 8

Higher Ground

X needed X needed X needed
3 1 4 1 5 2
6 2 7 2 8 3
9 3 10 3 11 3
1 1 2 1 3 2
4 3 5 4 6 4
7 5 8 6 9 7
1 2 2 3 3 4
4 5 5 7 6 8
7 9 8 10 9 11

Last Man Standing

Movement and Footing
Knee-deep Snow/Water-Movement cost of 2
Shoulder-deep Snow/Water-Movement cost of 3 Rocky-Movement cost of 2 Sand-Movement cost of 2

Shield Wall

Stunned

Siege Warfare

Attacking size is Small Medium Large Huge Gargantuan
Defending size is X X X X X
Small X X -1 att. dice -1 att. dice -2 att. dice
Medium X X -1 att dice -1 att dice -1 att dice
Large X X X -1 att. dice -1 att dice
Huge +1 att dice +1 att dice X X -1 att dice
Gargantuan +2 att dice +1 att dice +1 att. dice X X

Terrain Encounters

Leveling (Experience)
Attacking Figure is 4 man squad 3 man squad Hero Large/Huge Gargantuan
Destroyed Figure is X X X X X
4 man squad 15-20 16-20 17-20 18-20 19-20
3 man squad 13-20 15-20 16-20 17-20 18-20
Hero 11-20 13-20 15-20 16-20 17-20
Large/Huge 9-20 11-20 13-20 15-20 16-20
Gargantuan 7-20 9-20 11-20 13-20 15-20

Terms

Adjacent Exceptions:
Most of the time, if a figure is next to another figure, they are adjacent. Here are the exceptions to the rules; If one figure’s base is on a hex level equal to or higher then the height of the other figure, they are not adjacent and therefore not engaged. If a ruin is between the two figures, both figures heights must be higher then the ruin to be engaged. If both figures heights are lower then the ruin or only one figures height is lower, they are not engaged.
Attack-normal attack, a double attack is a normal attack.

Counterstrike-All excess shields counts as skulls (attacks) against the adjacent opponent. Counterstrike may be used defensively anytime the figure is attacked and the ability applies.
CLOS
-Clear line of sight. The figure must be able to see 75% of the targeted area or more of the opponent’s figure.

Engaged Figures
: If one or your figures is engaged with one or more other figures, that figure can only attack those figures. A double-spaced figure can attack from either space.

4. Damage-Check to see if figure levels up.
5. Check for a condition of the battle. Check for critical events.
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:12 AM

sorry it posted 4 times all but the very last post #8 should be deleted. The charts are slightly off but one could just move the numbers over one each and it will be ok.
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Wow. Um, I think I'll just play Scape.
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:27 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Good because what he is playing isnt Scape
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Good because what he is playing isnt Scape
Amen.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions