Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old October 15th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Not User Name knows what's in an order marker Not User Name knows what's in an order marker
Re: IshMEL's Customs: Update 9/30/14, Champions and Sniper!

If you don't like the Chess name you could always go with Cheating Death or something. Hmm intelligence would be a sweet thing to add to heroscape, but you could always do personalities. Tricky and valiant come to mind. They seem "smart".
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:08 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not User Name View Post
If you don't like the Chess name you could always go with Cheating Death or something. Hmm intelligence would be a sweet thing to add to heroscape, but you could always do personalities. Tricky and valiant come to mind. They seem "smart".
Oh, I will stick with Chess, definitely. Using personalities is a great suggestion. I would rank Disciplined first, then Tricky, then Valiant as chess players. Will think on the wording, thanks for the idea!
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:42 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

While valiant can refer to a sort of determination, the word is really much more closely related to bravery than anything else. I don't see it as a pertinent personality trait for playing chess.
Old October 15th, 2014, 06:26 PM

Not User Name knows what's in an order marker Not User Name knows what's in an order marker

Maybe brave figures could stand up to him instead of conceding to death.

Good luck wording that one! It'll be tough, but in home rules might be able to allow you to do a little with personalities.
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:48 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Well, I think it's less about bravely standing up to Death, and more about the possibility of somehow outwitting it. After all, when we say that someone is brave in the face of death, they can still have died, but if someone has "cheated" death they managed to avoid it. I'm also going off the two movies I've seen this in, The Seventh Seal and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Both masterpieces of cinema. Spoilers below!

Spoiler Alert!

So I'd go with:

Chess With Death
If The Grim Reaper would cause enough wounds with an attack to destroy a Unique Human Hero, you must first roll the 20-sided die. Subtract 2 if that Hero is Tricky or Disciplined. If you roll a 1-2, that Hero may ignore all wounds.

(The "official" wording would be "if that Hero has a Tricky or Disciplined personality" but I never really liked that. We don't say "all figures with a class of Soldier" or "a size of large", now, do we?)

So Sgt. Drake has a 10% chance of beating Death at chess, while Agent Carr has a 20% chance.
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:44 PM

A few changes in the OP. (I haven't added the Grim Reaper, Ogre Barbarian, or the revised Shade of Bleakwood yet).

First, some changes to the figure my son designed, Krazl Nars (look in Soulborgs & Sci-Fi>Aliens of Arctorus). Second, I've pulled Jeanne du Soleil (previously discussed here) and replaced her with:

Bannerman of the Alliance. A multi-faction messenger. 70 points.
Spoiler Alert!

Design notes included. Thanks to everyone who helped with Jeanne's design, I just never felt like she was up to the weighty task of being a Flagbearer.
Old October 21st, 2014, 01:36 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Bannerman of the Alliance is pretty interesting. He's a little fragile to be holding all of those Order Markers but he does give some fun flexibility to hero heavy armies. I wouldn't say he is competitive, but how many pure hero-based strategies are.

I take it this is from the old alliance. Vydar apparently breaks off with the arrival of Valkrill.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:42 PM

Yes, I should probably include Vydar in the list of non-Alliance forces. Good catch.

I've done up cards for the Ogre Barbarian and the Reaper of Bleakwoode:

The Reaper has slightly different stats than the original post -- Deathly Touch can do 1, 3, or destroy (I had to eliminate 2 for typographic reasons). It now has 3 attack to compensate (1 more than the Shades, but why waste the OM?) I'll change the OP when I get the chance.

Last edited by IshMEL; March 17th, 2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:05 AM

Ogre Barbarian
I like the changes. Savage Aggression is far more playable.

Reaper of Bleakwoode
Maybe I'm overlooking the fact that he bonds with the Death Knights too much, but I'm otherwise comparing him to Cyprien and seeing him come up wanting. He can potentially outdo the Lord of Vampires with his touch, but really only if the target is surrounded by three or more figures in the first place (factoring in Sonya). He then just lacks movement, life, and life drain in exchange for a minor boost to another expensive unit that he has to contend for Order Markers with. I certainly think he's cool, just maybe not at the right point for cost. If his goal is more to be a banner for the Shades of Bleakewoode, he could probably just cost a bit less (the shades aren't really that good).
Old October 23rd, 2014, 02:50 PM

Hmm, you bring up some excellent points @Ixe . Perhaps instead of using Cyprien as a "base" I should more fully embrace his role as a booster for the Shades. He'll be a one-trick pony but that's not always bad.

Soul Reaper
If a Shade of Bleakwoode you control within clear sight is destroyed by Soul Devour, place it on this card. Before TROB makes a normal attack, you may remove a Shade from this card and roll 2 additional attack dice. If TROB would receive any wounds from an attack, you may remove any number of Shades from this card. Ignore up to 2 wounds for each Shade removed.

So he would get powered up by the Shades and then become a great cleanup figure. I don't know what I would do with his stats, or if I would keep him as Relentless. Just thinking out loud here, as always.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by IshMEL; October 23rd, 2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old October 24th, 2014, 11:37 AM

OK so I've mocked up another card for the Reaper:

It's gained 1 Life and 1 Attack (since no Deathly Touch), and I've left him at 150 points. Changed the personality to Terrifying, while Relentless would be nice he's really an upgraded Shade so should have the same personality. I'm not sure if you'd run him with the Death Knights anyway. The Soul Reaper power is a bit different from the one I outlined above (you can remove 2 wounds instead of preventing 2 wounds, which is probably not as good.)

I'd be interested to see if he makes the Shades more competitive. A normal 3 Shade on 1 Hero Soul Devour has a 27% chance of working, boosted with the Reaper they have a 39% chance. That's pretty good.

Any thoughts on these changes? I'm still not sure on the cost.... Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited by IshMEL; March 17th, 2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old October 24th, 2014, 11:50 AM

Being able to removal multiple figures for a massive boost seems potentially crazy, although it's probably a bit of a win-more at that point since this precludes you landing soul devours and stealing away unique heroes and having a natural advantage anyway. If you have 2 or 3 figures on this card, you're probably winning by a whole lot anyway.

I am also a bit lost on the theme of the power. From how I saw the Shades of Bleakwoode working, they possess the hero in question by devouring their soul and replacing that with their own. The shade is "alive" inside the possessed host. This is mechanically represented by destroying them, which is making me wonder what exactly your reaper is reaping. I suppose it could be the soul of the one they possess, but there is still some dissonance there for me in how that is represented.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards