Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old February 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
I play games for their gameplay. If I don't like the gameplay, disliking the art style will turn me off faster, that's for sure. I've played some pretty ugly (and cute) games in my time.

Ugly (or cute) game that I hated and other people like? Katamari Damacy. I never understood what people saw in this game. You roll a ball and get plagued by awful graphics and even more insidious music? I could do that in my backyard. I still like the idea of a low budget game kicking butt in retail though.

Cute game that I dislike? Super Smash Brothers. I know this is bad timing, but I never got into this game. It just felt like a button masher's game, but it's entirely possible that I didn't grasp the deeper nuances of the game.

Silly Anime/Manga inspired game that I love? Trauma Center: Second Opinion. I don't like this art style any more, but I love playing this game because it's maddeningly challenging yet still fun. The ridiculous plot and unnecessarily cute nurse/second doctor only helped add to the mystique.

Halo and Resident Evil 4 are also great examples of games that aren't cute, but wouldn't work if they were. The art style should fit the feel of a game. Super Mario games will always be cute, and will usually deliver on a promise of old-school Nintendo fun.

I've also played dozens of 16 bit RPGs that cared mostly about story and character progression. Fun, but they looked like garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Go play Earthbound if you haven't. Cute-looking characters, yes, but the second best RPG I've ever played. (Second only to Chrono Trigger)
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre
Go play Earthbound if you haven't. Cute-looking characters, yes, but the second best RPG I've ever played. (Second only to Chrono Trigger)
Agreed on CT being the best RPG, perhaps the best game ever. I never found a copy of Earthbound though. I suppose I could emulate it, but I like having the real cartridge. There are about 10 games that I have that I'll never sell or give away,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM

zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker
This game deserves note, Lunar knights.
(http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rid=137902)

It has (sometimes goofy) Anime artwork, but the dark, broody,
kick-your-butt-and-hand-it-to-you-on-a-plate swordsman, still looks his part, and the sprites look incredibly like the drawn cut sequence renditions. And, it's the best RPG for the DS i know of.

(And you kill vampires and haul 'em to space! how cool is that!?)

I do art. Check it out.

http://insanelyzanter.deviantart.com/

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games