Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old August 18th, 2016, 05:24 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

Forgot to mention I saw Jason Bourne a few nights ago. It was OK. I'm a big Bourne fan so I enjoyed it but I can see it had it's flaws. Mostly in editing. I don't think there was a single shot that was presented to be longer than 3 seconds. At one point there was a 6 second section of a man walking down the sidewalk that had 4 cuts. My wife was a little motion sick half way through but she ended up fine.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old August 21st, 2016, 11:13 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Watched Eddie the Eagle last night. I really enjoyed it. Good underdog story about an interesting character.
Old August 21st, 2016, 11:52 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Watched The Revenant today. Enjoyed it. Very beautifully shot.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 22nd, 2016, 09:44 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Watched the new Ben-Hur last night. I never did see the original, or if I did it was so long ago I forgot, so no basis for comparison, but I liked the new one. Pretty good story of someone who went from up on hi to down low and was living on revenge for awhile. Only a few intense action scenes, but they were intense and somewhat unexpected. Not as good as like Gladiator, and of course Jesus is the backdrop might offend some, but overall a good movie. Too bad they will not make their $100 million budget back.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:13 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Watched the new Ben-Hur last night. I never did see the original, or if I did it was so long ago I forgot, so no basis for comparison, but I liked the new one. Pretty good story of someone who went from up on hi to down low and was living on revenge for awhile. Only a few intense action scenes, but they were intense and somewhat unexpected. Not as good as like Gladiator, and of course Jesus is the backdrop might offend some, but overall a good movie. Too bad they will not make their $100 million budget back.
Not sure if you have kids but what age would you say it would be ok for a kid to watch. My son is almost 9 and he just recently saw the phase 1 Avenger's movies this summer (as in we finished Avenger's two weeks ago) but he LOVES everything Roman. Just curious as to how intense it was. He saw the preview and was interested.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 12:07 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I saw Suicide Squad over the weekend. If you don't spend any time thinking and just go with the story, it's a fun movie. I thought that the characters of Deadshot, Harley Quinn and Waller were well played. The rest of the actors had relatively flat roles that they couldn't do that much with. I particularly didn't like Jared Leto's Joker, although it is hard to follow up on Heath Ledger.

DC just doesn't do fight scenes as well as Marvel. The fight scenes in Civil War were fantastic. The latest DC fight scenes are very weak by comparison.

If you start to think about the movie, it falls apart quickly.
SPOILERS FOLLOW:
If the villains could be taken out by a relatively small bomb, why didn't the government just bomb them? Of course, if it only took a couple of hellfire missiles, it would have been a very short movie.

After Flag removes his ability to kill the members of Suicide Squad in the bar, there was no development on why some of the members (Killer Croc and especially Boomerang) continued on the mission.

What happened to the rest of the Justice League? Batman and Flash have cameo appearances.

Why is Harley Quinn on a team of metahumans. I know that Avengers has a similar issue with having Black Widow and Hawkeye on the same team as Thor and Hulk, but at least Black Widow and Hawkeye have some special abilities as opposed Harley. Harley is a crazy and very attractive young lady with a baseball bat. Would she really get drafted for this team?

Last edited by Rich10; August 23rd, 2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old August 23rd, 2016, 01:26 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I believe she is supposed to have above human endurance and agility.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old August 23rd, 2016, 08:49 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@japes - Nine might be a bit young but if he saw Avengers it should be OK, some blood but not too gory. It does get a little "slow" a times which I personally prefer over non-stop action, but it did keep me interested the entire time - just for a 9 year old it is not as ADD/spastastic as modern animated movies, but similar to the pacing of something like Gladiator or the Hobbit movies, but again not as much action/gore.
Old August 24th, 2016, 09:26 AM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
@japes - Nine might be a bit young but if he saw Avengers it should be OK, some blood but not too gory. It does get a little "slow" a times which I personally prefer over non-stop action, but it did keep me interested the entire time - just for a 9 year old it is not as ADD/spastastic as modern animated movies, but similar to the pacing of something like Gladiator or the Hobbit movies, but again not as much action/gore.
We will wait for Bluray so he will probably be closer to 10 by the time it comes around. Thanks for taking the time.

Speaking of I just realized I never posted my 2nd time around review.

For everyone else...Over the summer my wife finally gave in and allowed my son to watch the first phase of the Avengers movies. He had seen Captain America just after Spring Break and loved it so after a few months of begging she gave in. We watched them in "order" after that and I realized I had not seen most of them since my original watching. There were times I was tempted but by then I figured it was best to wait until he could watch them. Watching them in close succession was interesting and pretty enjoyable. We averaged one movie about every 10 days. Here is my summary of my sons findings.

There may be spoilers ahead if for some reason you haven't seen these.

Iron Man: He loved it. After Captain America this was his favorite.

Hulk: This was the one my wife was most worried about. She thought it would be scary for him so we watched it during a "boys night" when mom was gone because she didn't want to deal with the late night. Funny part was that when Abomination was first shown (the scary part) he looked at me all excited and said..."He looks AWESOME. They did a great job making him." Also due to his studying of C3G cards the first time he heard the name Blonsky he knew he was Abomination. From my view, I didn't remember some of this movie and picked up on a few things that I completely overlooked the first time...such as Samuel Sterns.

Thor: My wife thought this one was boring the first time around so we watched this one without her as well. I enjoyed it and he liked it a lot...other than the kissing. Seeing a real life version of Thor was quite the experience for him. He's aware of most of these characters through cartoons and C3G so it was cool watching him realize different characters.

Iron Man 2: I had forgotten how much Black Widow was in this one so I enjoyed it more this time that I did the first. My son LOVED it. He seemed to like the Iron Man movies a lot and enjoyed the scenes where Black Widow kicked butt. Especially the one where Favro takes out his guy and notices she's already taken out the rest. He found that hilarious.

His rankings...
Captain America - 10
Iron Man - 9.9
Hulk - 9.8
Iron Man2 and Thor tied for 4th with a 8.5 to 9

Then it was on to the grand finale.

Avengers.

We watched it and he seemed to enjoy it and there were parts that I could tell he loved. Afterwards I asked him what he thought and where he ranked it and he hesitantly said last. I though he was being silly and so I prodded him a little figuring he loved it. This is where he started showing his sophistication..."It was fun and there were a lot of funny parts, but I just didn't understand the plot. It was really hard to follow and I don't think it was thought out all the way." In my head at this time I'm thinking...you're 8 years old. Thor fought Iron Man, Cappy beat people up with his shield, Hawkeye (his favorite avenger) shot a lot of cool arrows at aliens, and Hulk pounded Loki...how could you not love it. This movie was make for the 8 year old in all of us...Then I remembered he's smarter than the average 8 year old, he reads a lot with his mom, and you know...he's probably right. He still gave it an 8 on his scale of 1-10 so that's not too bad.

Old August 24th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

That is some pretty good insight.

Your son should start a blog.

Seriously, I have never heard of anyone so young discussing plot complexity.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:53 PM
A Man of Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
That is some pretty good insight.

Your son should start a blog.

Seriously, I have never heard of anyone so young discussing plot complexity.
I believe it started because last summer they read the first 3 books of Harry Potter and we followed each up with the movie so he discovered how much "more and better" plot elements the books had. This summer they did the 4th book/movie. He's learned to enjoy the movies but he understands they can't be a good as the books.

Old August 29th, 2016, 02:03 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Started Silver Linings Playbook with my wife a week or so ago, but then the kid woke up and we didn't feel it was appropriate for him. We were an hour in and still haven't had a chance to finish it, but it was looking promising.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies