Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old July 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker
Re: UPC's Maps - Revisited

Thank you for the reviews, Shades fan and Dignan.

The turrets sound like they played how I had hoped. Chances are that you will only get one and not both because of the commitment to holding them. In your case, you did get both, but only because you used the AE which kind of skews any map build.

Had you been using a non Drop ranged unit, you would have had to commit to using at least 2 markers to get some of them on the turrets plus the 1 order marker on your rats. Hopefully your opponent would have engaged at least some of your ranged units en route.

The choke point defense position is purposely in the swamp, effectively one hex lower than someone trying to remove you from said choke point.

The turrets heighth stymies the ability to move an entire squad of any ranged unit up there in a single turn, more than likely leaving the rest of the squad seriously exposed.

That is also why I have the range perches outside the turrets as well to help break up the choke point.

UPC's Heroscape Strategy Blog (and whatever else the Muse sends my way...)

Old July 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I got to play a pre-game on Stroll Thru the Park before the Slugfest last weekend.

My opponent was all Melee and I was about 50/50. For obvious reasons he ignored the turrets, but I ended up doing the same. As you said, the investment needed just to get into the turret didn't seem worth the cost. Though in my case it also helped that the high points in front of each turret were easier to get too, and since my opponent was all melee I waited for him to come to me.

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; July 16th, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UranusPChicago View Post
The turrets sound like they played how I had hoped. Chances are that you will only get one and not both because of the commitment to holding them. In your case, you did get both, but only because you used the AE which kind of skews any map build.
Yeah, AE skew most map builds. It was difficult to get any other ranged squads up into there and the outside perch helped control anyone getting in there. At best it appears that you could deny your opponent one of the turrets and get the other one yourself. In any event, it was the only thing that I saw as a possible negative or critique of the map. Otherwise it's very solid. We had a good time playing on it.
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:09 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Yeah, AE skew most map builds. It was difficult to get any other ranged squads up into there and the outside perch helped control anyone getting in there. At best it appears that you could deny your opponent one of the turrets and get the other one yourself. In any event, it was the only thing that I saw as a possible negative or critique of the map. Otherwise it's very solid. We had a good time playing on it.

I think that statement nails it on the head. I want the turrets to be easier to deny access to than to hold them.

Dignan, thanks for following up. I really appreciate the feedback.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:18 AM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Everyone at my tournament really enjoyed playing on Stroll through the park!
I made sure to keep an eye on the map, and who was playing on it, because of the remarks in the BoV thread!
Here are some pictures, and what I noticed.

Here are some things I noticed!
Overall the map is great, but that doesn't really help you as a mapmaker, so I thought I would comment!

- Their was no problem what so ever with the threat range thing. Yes you can get a early shot, but then the unit is wide open to be hit from a melee figure.[As you can see with the Omnicron!!]

-I really enjoyed how you placed the jungle pieces, and how you only made one entrance into the turrents. This allows for a nice choke point, that is not easy to take in the beginning or keep when you have it.

-Flying figures love to go in and out of those turrents.Which makes them pretty deadly on the map.[As you can see the turrents/perch makes a great Raelin spot!]

- Every part of the map usually gets used, which is awesome.

-The only negative part to say about the map, is that I wished their had been more swamp water integrated into the road. Not so that you couldn't get the extra movement, but so melee figures would have a tough time getting near melee figures on the road.

on the map!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.

Last edited by Shades fan; July 22nd, 2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:12 AM

rickert is surprisingly tart

I wanted to get the details for The Grass Is Always Greener but the link takes me nowhere. Any help?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickert View Post
I wanted to get the details for The Grass Is Always Greener but the link takes me nowhere. Any help?
It looks like I need to re-upload my map files. I never did after the change over and it appears that a lot of my older map links are broken. It will be a few days before I can get them updated.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM

rickert is surprisingly tart

Thanks. I'm looking for something good to teach the game at my local shop next month and that is one I am leaning towards.
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Are you planning on making any more maps? They're all great.
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:37 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus

<Sweep> <Sweep>

Prepping for this weekend...

Old September 10th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

A UPC Sighting??!?!?! Almost as rare as a Yeti sighting!
Old September 11th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker

Groovy. I wonder if we'll be hit with a blizzard of maps.

"There's something exceptionally satisfying in dropping Mimring in round one."

Expand your horizons. Terrain maps from Cavalier.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios