Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of Tagawa Samurai Archers

The Book of Tagawa Samurai Archers
Dawn of Darkness - Collection 6 - "Archers and Kyrie"

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: A beautiful pink cherry blossom floats gracefully to the ground and lands at the feet of a noble daimyo lord. He stands tall, bearing the majestic armor of his forefathers. His face is stoic, nostrils flaring, as he draws deeply of the crisp spring air. Pulling his mask down over his face, Kato Katsura extends a long arm, and points into the west. A fleet of his loyal samurai archers march forward, passing him by and forming a line on the hillside. In unison they halt, draw their arrows, and ready their bows. A moment of silence passes, then a faint but growing sound is heard. The Tagawa remain steadfast, bowstrings taught. Over the horizon breaks a screaming war band, their weapons drawn and bloodlust blazing in their eyes. Still the Tagawa archers stand motionless. Their enemies approach closer still before Kato Katsura drops his arm and a hailstorm of arrows are rained down upon his enemies. (Hasbro)

Yes, the only time the Tagawa Archers’ Counter Strike is negated is against other Samurai. All other figures that have counterstrike can still be affected by it unless otherwise stated on their card. (Hasbro FAQ)

Synergy Benefits Received
  • - HATAMOTO TARO : Heroic Defense Aura
    As Samurai, Tagawa Samurai Archers may benefit from Hatamoto Taro’s HEROIC DEFENSE AURA

- KATO KATSURO : Kato Katsuro's Command
    As a Samurai Squad, the Tagawa Samurai Archers may benifit from Kato Katsuro's KATO KATSURO'S COMMAND activation synergy.

Synergy Benefits Offered
  • - SACRED BAND : Disciplined Army Defense Bonus
    Having a Disciplined personality, Tagawa Samurai Archers may aid the Sacred Band with their DISCIPLINED ARMY DEFENSE BONUS
    *NOTE: See The Book of Sacred Band for proper application.

C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Power Ranking and Master Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel
Power Ranking
Tagawa Samurai Archers- Though a bit disappointing to most, the Tagawa Samurai Archers might yet prove valuable in the future. B-

Tagawa Archers
Vs. Roman Archers? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=4883
General Assessment? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5121
Boosting Counterstrike? http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=768
Benefit from Bloodlust? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=7309
Unit Strategy Review

Last edited by R˙chean; April 11th, 2015 at 02:40 PM. Reason: VC synergy added
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:38 PM

TexMex Woo who?
These guys are becoming a staple for me on defensive hills. And since there common, I'd like to see what a couple of squads could do Still, I hate their lousy defense! I can see where the Roman Archers would make a wiser choice. Though the other night, I did kill a Tarn with their counterstike

The Daily Pugle
Albuquerque, NM-NHSD Tourney 2008 Results:
TexMex: 2nd Place
Mrs. TexMex: 8th Place--Out of 10
PS I lost every battle in my first tourney
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Tagawa Samurai Archers

My favorite sculpts from Wave 6.

Subtle brilliance with this squad!

Practicing for the last NorCal tournament involved several trials with these guys against The Einar Imperium.

Now I'm not toting them as the EI counterdraft, but in the games I played them, they were suprisingly successful in dealing with the Einar Kyrie. They could peck at the winged soldiers from afar and then have some good insurance if they became engaged with them. I had luck on my side as there were a few blanks or 1 skulls rolled among the first of a couple of Double Attacks.
Counterstrike was able to bypass the whole Kiova's Gift aura and slaughter some expensive figures.
I was able to get precious height advantage to assist in the carnage and eventually back-up units to play kyrie clean-up.

I suppose the same tactics can be used with any of the melee samurai, but for 21.6 points for a common, ranged figure, they are a viable selection for the EI match-up.
I start to look towards Sentinels or other average attack/beefy defense units to use the Archers as a decent counterdraft.

EDIT: I used 3 squads of TSA, Kaemon, and Hatamoto against 6 Minions, Brunak, and Nakitas. It was sick how many Minions were taken out by Counterstrike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMex
Still, I hate their lousy defense! I can see where the Roman Archers would make a wiser choice. Though the other night, I did kill a Tarn with their counterstike
It would be insane if they had 4 (or higher) defense for their price.
Factor in height advantage, Raelin and/or Hatamoto, well, it starts to become clear.
3 defense is fine.
It's the cheap, common-ness of the Counterstrike in addition to range that reveals their potential.
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:40 AM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Zolt
I just like samurai as a whole, My Favorite Units
Yeah, same with me. I love the TSA because it adds more RANGE!!!! to Einar's army. Other than them, its only the hard to find Romans and Guilty. That's why I have 3 squads of 'em. They're also my favorite sculpted squad in the game! Guess who's my favorite sculpted hero........... yep. Kaemon Awa. 3 defense is the best # of defense for their price. Now if you add height, Raelin, and Hatamato Taro and these guys are gonna be unpenetrable! And with counterstrike, these guys are doggin. Even if you give these guys just height advantage they're still gonna rock!

Old May 24th, 2007, 12:55 PM

riledguy has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMex
These guys are becoming a staple for me on defensive hills. And since there common, I'd like to see what a couple of squads could do Still, I hate their lousy defense! I can see where the Roman Archers would make a wiser choice. Though the other night, I did kill a Tarn with their counterstike
They are really nice on a hill. I had a squad of these guys on high and got attacked by a wave of vipers. They ended up killing 4 on defense and 2 with their actual attack.

The 1 extra die for height made all the difference (as my opponent rolled a lot of single skulls on his 3 die attack rolls.)

They did way better then their leader who did not pull his 120.

In retrospect I would have been much better off with 3 squads of them. Instead of 1 of them and their failing leader.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
I LOVE THESE GUYS!!!

They are my single favorite ranged squad because they are one of the few that can survive getting into melee. You can play them like range and like melee. You can have them run straight into the fray, or have them hide back on a hill. The versatility! The only bad thing is that their counterstrike isn't any good against special attacks...

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:25 AM

I am thinking 2 of these squads with Realin (sp) would be pretty cool. That seems like a pretty good 210 or so spent. Folks are going to have to rush them and with 5 defense dice would risk dying on their own attack not to mention they would be getting fired at the whole time they were trying to wipe them out.
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by riledguy
I am thinking 2 of these squads with Realin (sp) would be pretty cool. That seems like a pretty good 210 or so spent. Folks are going to have to rush them and with 5 defense dice would risk dying on their own attack not to mention they would be getting fired at the whole time they were trying to wipe them out.
The only problem with that would be if the opponent outranged you- In which case the opponents would probably be some annoying agents or whatnot- What's really fun is running out your samurai archers to engage them, while shooting the agents down from above! The agents either have to risk counterstrike or disengagement strikes, both which spell almost certain death!

Of course, any of the big guys would them for lunch...

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:45 PM

[quote="Dictatorbilbo"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by riledguy
The only problem with that would be if the opponent outranged you- In which case the opponents would probably be some annoying agents or whatnot- What's really fun is running out your samurai archers to engage them, while shooting the agents down from above! The agents either have to risk counterstrike or disengagement strikes, both which spell almost certain death!

Of course, any of the big guys would them for lunch...
There is always going to be a counter to any squad I am trying to think of a squad that over all could pull way more damage then its cost in most situations. They would do well even against range with the 5 defense dice as most range units don't have the huge attack numbers.

At first I was skeptical of the samurai archers as the 3 defense just seemed to low for their return strike to make a difference but after some games with them in action I saw that this is a very strong power as much more often then not folks use melee fighters to take out the range figures.

Next game I will give them a try see how they do and I can put them to the test.
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Well, I have a simple solution to that problem. I have been testing this army:

Tagawa Archers
Kaemon Awa
Crixus
Deathreavers 2X

It has worked wonderfully well. The Roborats have been able to die down any of the opposing ranged units, and the archers have killed any melee units that get too close.

(I don't have a second set of Archers. I would trade out Crixus for another set in this army if I could.)

P.S. Raelin makes this army so better its scary.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart101
Hmm...these Samurais are okay when their on hills, because their attack is ok. But of who am I to say that, after all, I've only had one battle with them(Bringing my total 'scape battles to 6 )!!!!!!!!!ugh I love Heroscape, but I cant find any body who wants to play with me(well every once in awhile I can coax my sister in to playing).
A terrible predicament indeed....

The archers are strong on hills more for the counter strike then the attack rating. It makes it so they have a decent chance of killing figures with a 3 or lower attack rating who go after them in melee.
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:00 PM

fejkl Woo who?
I like what DictatorBilbo said about the TSA's being ranged and melee. They're somewhat similar to Kaemon, only a bit weaker. I love them, and have Counter-Struck many a unit with them.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units