Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old January 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Help needed: Applying a wash to a figure

Another question:

Is there a brand of paint you'd recommend over others?

Also, I thought I'd seen a product specifically created to be used as a wash. Is there such a thing out there, and is the purchase of such a product worth it?

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextr1p View Post
Another question:

I use Apple Barrel and Delta Ceramcoat because they are inexpensive. There are several other brands that are made for "painting minis", but I've never used them. I'm sure they are good, but they are expensive.

Quote:
Also, I thought I'd seen a product specifically created to be used as a wash. Is there such a thing out there, and is the purchase of such a product worth it?
I think there is, but again, I'm to cheap to buy them.
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Ditto on the cheapness. I've only ever used what you can get for $1-$2 at Wal-Mart, AC Moore, or any other craft store. Never felt any need to use anything other than the homemade cheap acrylic + water technique for a wash, although I would be interested to know if anyone has any personal experience with using a specialized wash.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:31 PM

pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite-M View Post
Ditto on the cheapness. I've only ever used what you can get for $1-$2 at Wal-Mart, AC Moore, or any other craft store. Never felt any need to use anything other than the homemade cheap acrylic + water technique for a wash, although I would be interested to know if anyone has any personal experience with using a specialized wash.
I use both watered down paint and 'specialized washes'. Its easier to control the 'flow' with specialized washes than with watered down paint, which is why some people like Raudlfr add agents like floor polish to their washes.
Specialized washes come in several tastes. The classical ones were actually inks, very strong colored. You had to use them sparingly. Another drawback is that (because they're inks) they are not water-resistant, which can be a problem when you're sealing your work with a water based coating.
Modern washes are more like paint. Less strongly pigmented, so you can apply them more liberally. And they're waterproof when dry.
And then there's the variant that combines both the wash and a protective coat. You paint the figure in flat bright colors (because the wash will darken them) and just dip them in the stuff. This is the way heroscape figures are treated. It's a simple procedure, but the stuff is highly toxic.

In the end what works for you works for you (I even use watered down special washes and washes mixed with paint or ink ). You have to try different things and find out what you like. If you ever want to try specialized washes I'd recommend Citadel Devlan Mud from the Games Workshop as a starting point. It's a darkish brown. One layer will be almost translucent and several layers will build a darker shade, so you could use that to shade anything except white and bright yellows.

</IMG>
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM

DeadEye is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher View Post
Quote:
Another question:

I use Apple Barrel and Delta Ceramcoat because they are inexpensive. There are several other brands that are made for "painting minis", but I've never used them. I'm sure they are good, but they are expensive.
Same here I just use the inexpensive acrylic paints.

DeadEye
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher View Post
Quote:
Another question:

Same here I just use the inexpensive acrylic paints.

DeadEye
Yup! Exactly the same here. Some brands of black I like better than other brands of black (hues are slightly different).. but cheap is generally not bad at all.
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:40 PM

KingArthur1976 knows what's in an order marker KingArthur1976 knows what's in an order marker

Ive used nothing but the Apple Barrel paints from walmart and used a Minwax stain from the paint section as my wash! with fantastic results. The Stain is a dark brown color and really pops out the details on my Descent figures. I have noticed a "little" stickyness, but I usually seal my figures with Testor's Dullcoat. It comes in a spray can and drys dull so no glossy shine and your paint wont chip off!

Mississippi boy in Ohio valley group.. Hell why not!
Ohio Valley Assoication of Heroscapers

Old January 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

Yeah, you have to be careful mixing your mediums though. You could wind up with some wierd unintended textures. In mylimited experience, I've found that I get the best results staying entirely with water-based acryllic paints and then at the end clear coating to preserve the whole thing.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:00 PM

bobatcomcast costs too much!

i put a bit of black paint on a figure, and spread it around with water, uber easy

chill is good, calm is bad
- ME

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions