Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

View Poll Results: When a bum with a sad story asks me for money...
I give him some money and feel good about it 9 21.43%
I give him some money but worry he's a scammer 8 19.05%
I don't give him anything and feel good about it 15 35.71%
I don't give him anything but feel bad about it later 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker
Re: Bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah View Post
He said "nevermind" and abruptly turned and walked away. It really bothered me at the time, and it still kinda does. I had no cash to give him, and normally I'd think "well, clearly he wanted it for drugs or booze or something", but this was a guy who was rooting through trash cans and probably was actually hungry. I have no idea why he would refuse my offer, but I imagine it's the same reason he was homeless in the first place, refusing to go to a shelter or whatever it might be. I'm really not sure how to help someone like that, though my heart breaks for them.
Alot of them don't like to go into the stores and restaraunts. People usually give them a hard time or the staff will kick them out. A couple friends of mine once took a bum into a restaurant (like a TGI Fridays or Applebees I think) for the guy to tell his life story over supper. They had to be really insistant with the staff that the bum was with them and wouldn't be a problem. They were seated in a corner out of view of the rest of the dining room. Then where shooed to go to the bar to "free up tablespace" after they were done eating (pretty much code for please leave). It's embarrassing for them and for the person who's giving to them too.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General