Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV
TV Not Heroscape-related.

Old March 9th, 2018, 08:14 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: TV: What Are You Watching?

I watched the first episode of season 2 of Jessica Jones. Good stuff!

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old March 9th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

"The OA "was pretty intriguing. I could see that perspective on the ending. Still, IMO, less of a gut punch than how "The End of the F**king World" went after being so fun and peppy early on.

Hoping to start on Jessica Jones this weekend. Watched season one with the wifey and it was one of our favorite things right away. The trailer for season two looks promising.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 9th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Have you seen Another Earth(2011) Bats?
Also written and starring Brit Marling.
Check it out.
Old March 9th, 2018, 05:24 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I have not. Is that on a streaming service?

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 9th, 2018, 05:56 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

About The End of the F***ing World:
Spoiler Alert!
It was a beautiful little gem of a show, I thought.

I'm 2 episodes in on JJ Season 2 already. High hopes, because it was the best of all the Netflix MCU shows so far, IMHO. I put DD 1 and The Punisher as close 2d and 3d, and the others more neatly ordered afterward, and not in the same league. (The order being DD2, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and The Defenders.)

I can't remember if I've given this as my official Ranking of Netflix MCU shows here:

1. JJ
2. DD
3. Punisher
4. DD2
5. Luke Cage
6. Iron Fist
7. The Defenders

I didn't think any of them were bad, but from DD2 on down the list, I didn't think any were as special as the top 3. Here is my ordering of how much I like the depictions of the heroes, which is helpful for managing my expectations:

1. Krysten Ritter's Jessica Jones
2. Mike Colter's Luke Cage
3. John Bernthal's Punisher
4. Charlie Cox's Daredevil
5. Sean Finn's Iron Fist

Mike Colter and Krysten Ritter are both *so* perfect in their roles that everyone else is, at best, trying to keep up. Cox as Daredevil is wonderful, but I would like a little less breathiness and angst in his Matt Murdock. The scene in The Defenders when Jessica Jones takes a beer from a sleeping homeless guy is gold.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; March 9th, 2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old March 9th, 2018, 06:03 PM

To DS:
Spoiler Alert!

Old March 9th, 2018, 06:14 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I ninja'ed in a big edit, Bats. I'm curious for your thoughts on the Netflix MCU, if you want to respond to that part.

= =
Old March 9th, 2018, 06:55 PM

I do, actually. I haven't gotten to watch JJ2 yet, but JJ1 is in a tier of its own for me. It just is. Such wonderful characterization, the best Marvel villain anywhere (with apologies to Kingpin, Killmonger and the rest, Tennant's Purple Man is just the most incredibly realized supervillain), and perfect casting, as you mentioned. For a character I have almost zero comic book experience with other than having read an issue or two of New Avengers a decade or so ago, they just blew me away. And brownie points for my wife loving it and being eager to watch it with me. That never hurts.

After that I'd probably actually put Daredevil 1 and 2 and Defenders all in a tight scrum of tier 2. DD1 probably had better stuff for Daredevil himself, but I feel the surrounding cast gets better in DD2 (deeper role for Elektra, great Punisher story, great stuff from the baddies, jailhouse Kingpin is a revelation, and DD's personal life crumbling keeps Foggy and company interesting to me).

The best part of DD1, to me, was the "I am the ill-intent" speech. Quite possibly the best villain monologue ... ever? Phenomenal action too, which really set a great tone for this line of Marvel TV.

I suppose the villain stuff in DD1 was a bit tighter too, but more Elektra and Punisher are a good tradeoff for the slightly choppier villain plots of DD2.

Defenders finds a role for Danny Brand that I like him in (that guy that makes everyone else roll their eyes a bit). It makes his character work much better than he does as a headliner, IMO. And all of the character interactions are fun. Jessica does feel a bit "less" of herself when she has to put up with all of the other characters, but they all benefit from being in the presence of her wit, and I love how they don't toss aside all of the major supporting characters, but include them in the fun.

Then Luke Cage is very solid in the next slot (but the lack of a sustained great villain to the end of the show hurt that one, IMO, as did the romance when I'm a Cage/JJ shipper). Loved the "Hail to the Chief" song in the club, though, as a small side note.

I ... haven't finished Punisher yet. Part of it is having a toddler, part of it is just not finding the character that likeable as a protagonist. I'll get back to it some time, but I'll give it an incomplete for now. Still, I listed it before getting to Iron Fist. Why?

Cuz while Punisher has been "meh" to me about four or five episodes in, Iron Fist straight up sucked at times. Specifically about half of the first episode was plodding, pointless, expositional crap that didn't seem to trust its viewer in the same way as JJ and DD. Add in that Danny is Mr. Spoiled 1% and if it weren't for a solid supporting cast and the pedigree of the overall story universe, I might not have made it through. Still, I like Coleen, and Danny became tolerable when I just told myself they were making these character choices intentionally and of course he's a bratty douche who thinks that money solves everything and is terrible with empathy and communication - that's a realistic take on the character. The most difficult of the four heroes to root for, though, IMO. Maybe of the five, if you count Punisher (though I struggle with calling him a "hero").

I think what it boils down to is I like Punisher and Iron Fist both in stories where they don't have to act as the main protagonist, because, like Electra actually, I like them to toe the line between someone I'm willing to root for and someone I want to see taken down. It fits their characters both in how they've been portrayed in the comics and on the shows. But if the series is all about them, my not liking them makes it harder to follow their individual adventures.

But JJ? I'll follow her down every street she names.

Old March 9th, 2018, 08:09 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

For me the top tier is JJ1 and then Punisher. I thought they were both excellent and by the end I loved the characters. My wife also liked both of these.

DD1 is next with Luke Cage first half

DD 2

Defenders

Luke Cage second half and Iron fist are down at the bottom.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old March 10th, 2018, 02:50 AM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

See, I disagree about Iron Fist but I think it's because of my prior knowledge of the character. Danny's interaction with the world when he returns makes sense because he only has a child's understanding of our world, since he'd been raised in an ancient city in another dimension since he was a child. His childish, spoiled behavior makes sense when you realize that the world moved on without him for 20 ish years. 20 years ago we had no social media, few had cell phones and AOL was our connection to the Internet, just to shine a light on things. Now imagine that your understanding of that world froze as you grew because you no longer interacted in that world. I think Danny is complex in his simplicity and I felt they were definitely building to something in Season 1. It turns out it was Defenders, which I really liked because they found real story driven reasons for them to draw together, interact, and then go their separate ways. Jessica was the only one who I didn't feel like they furthered her story much, but her letting people in was still good character development.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

RIP George Perez and Stan Lee
Old March 10th, 2018, 11:30 AM

I totally agree with Danny's characterization making sense. He had good story reasons for acting like an entitled brat. But that doesn't mean following an entitled brat as the protagonist of the story is appealing.

Old March 10th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Comments about some of the above:

1) Splitting Luke Cage into its two halves makes sense, and it highlights the importance of having a quality villain from a poor one. We see the same thing come back in The Defenders, when neither principal villain is credible, for different reasons. Sigourney Weaver is sadly wasted (and/or lost) in her part. David Tennant and Vincent D'Onofrio show it's done, chewing up the scenery and making their shows brilliant. I think that's especially important for Daredevil, because the Matt Murdock character is kind of boring.

2) Danny's character is kind of boring also. And annoying. And I understand that he's coming back to a world that's unfamiliar to him, but surely he's developed *some* kind of monk-like calmness or stillness or discipline in all those years. I liked Iron Fist more than many others did, but his character is not good.

3) The Defenders principally featured him and unworthy villains. That wasn't good.

4) Bats' criticism of The Punisher is fair. It's different from the others and will not be for everyone.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV