Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 14th, 2009, 12:49 PM
The Little Warforged That Could

Izner knows what's in an order marker Izner knows what's in an order marker Izner knows what's in an order marker
Re: Most Overrated Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I think stingers are the only figure that can really compete with Q9 in the "swiss army knife" competition.
How so? I love the Stingers, but I'm not seeing the swiss army knife in them.

Old May 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izner View Post
Quote:
I think stingers are the only figure that can really compete with Q9 in the "swiss army knife" competition.
How so? I love the Stingers, but I'm not seeing the swiss army knife in them.
Short answer: one of the top main event armies last year was Raelin + Stingers x7 (+Marcu). I could stop there and basically consider my argument adequate. But to flesh it out:

- 3 defense and relative cheapness means they can be used as glyph grabbers, to rush up and engage KMA, or in other relatively expendable ways. They're not as good in this role as the rats, but they're better than most.

- 3 attacks of 3+ means they are effective against common squads. They're not quite as good in this role as knights+champions or 4th Mass, but they're close.

- Range and juicing means they are effective heavy hitters against tough heroes. They're not quite as good in this role as Krug or a handful of others, but they're close.

I'm not sure any figure does all three of those things as well as the the stingers do all three of them.
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
I agree, but if you look at the winningest armies, Q9 is rarely among them.
What?

I think we'd see Q9 winning more tournaments if more people played him. A lot seem to want to win with something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

I think this thread is very interesting. I like to read what unit or units people think are overrated, underrated etc. I think it really comes down to 2 things, which several of you have alluded to already. Your playing style and your understanding of the game.

For instance dok mentioned the stingers being the best "swiss" army knife, and if anybody reads the posts here on 'scapers, you would see that many people tend to agree with him.

I however think the stingers are a B unit at best and are the most overrated units in this game. Mainly because I play knights quite often and Knights > stingers. I've only ever lost 1 out of 10 tournament games to stingers and that loss was because Hawthorne tunred on me, not because of the stingers.

The units that I fear most are WoA (thank goodness nobody ever brings them to tourneys!) and Charos (ask Jexik about that one) / Samurai. And of course rats! I believe these units are underrated, but of course that's more becaue of my play-style tendencies.

If I played something else like Sentinels all the time, I would probably think that Braxas and the hounds are underrated, etc.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
I however think the stingers are a B unit at best and are the most overrated units in this game. Mainly because I play knights quite often and Knights > stingers. I've only ever lost 1 out of 10 tournament games to stingers and that loss was because Hawthorne tunred on me, not because of the stingers.
Excellent point about what you play influencing your feelings on over/underrated. The knights are almost certainly the best figure against stingers - knights own stingers. Stingers and rats have a decent chance against knights, though.
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

What would the MM rankings (Knights and their worst matchups combined with MM's perceptions) look like?

A+
Knights of Weston
Sir Gilbert
Warriors of Ashra
Deathreavers
Gladiatrons
Blastatrons

A
Alastair MacDirk
Eldgrim
Krav Maga Agents
Marro Warriors
Raelin
Charos
Isamu
Heavy Gruts
Izumi Samurai
Tagawa Samurai

A-
Major Q9 (would be higher, but range is for little girls)
Grimnak
Krug
Arrow Gruts
Mimring
Swog Rider
Nerak
Sir Hawthorne
Finn
4th Massachusetts Line
10th Regiment of Foot
Marcus Decimus Gallus
Tagawa Samurai Archers

B+
Thorgrim....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
What would the MM rankings (Knights and their worst matchups combined with MM's perceptions) look like?

Don't forget those pesky Nakitas. They're far better that the kravs if you're playing against a melee army.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Hey, I play the WoA all the time and have some success with them as well, provided they're under Raelin's aura until they engage the Knights.

WoA v. Knights...WoA will win 7/10 times, in my opinion. WoA are even better than rats, in my opinion, because of the fact that they can actually be effective hitters AND they can be summoned en masse by Emiroon.

They are indeed underrated, but they need to have certain armies with them to be effective, and this is not entirely conducive to a winning tournament army, IMO.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsons Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
Q9. There, I said it.

3 attacks of 3 is no big deal. Just counter draft a heavy hitter or two. Jotun?
True, 1 vs. 1 Jotun can kill Q9, but Jotun is more expensive then Q and could wasily be tied down by a squad of 'Reavers, 1 by 1 by 1. Q9 makes attacks of 4-5 (Hight) and down goes Jotun!
While Jotun does cost more than Q9, he will end up killing more than just Q9.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
180 points on one figure that has a good range but only 9 attack dice over 3 attacks doesn't compare to 9 attack dice over 3 attacks Plus the fact that if KMA have height they get 12 dice.
To me, the "Q9's attack isn't potent enough" argument is sort of laughable. Three attacks of 3 is a good offensive turn, period. Are there better offensive turns? Sure. Can the KMA out-do them if your opponent gives up height? Yeah. Can Nilfheim do better if he has multiple targets? Yeah. Can knights plus bonding deliver five similar attacks, in stead of three? Yeah. But 3 attacks of 3 is good. What makes Q9 such a powerhouse is that that perfectly decent attack round is backed up by 4 life and 7 defense.
3 attacks of 3 is not a good offensive turn, it's just average. 3 attacks of 4 is good, and 4 attacks of 3 is good, but 3 attacks of 3 is just "meh". If I want 3 attacks of 3, I'd pick 3 squads of Drones for 30 points less.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Last edited by ParaGoomba Slayer; May 14th, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Double post. Sorry.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsons Scaper View Post
Quote:
Q9. There, I said it.

3 attacks of 3 is no big deal. Just counter draft a heavy hitter or two. Jotun?
True, 1 vs. 1 Jotun can kill Q9, but Jotun is more expensive then Q and could wasily be tied down by a squad of 'Reavers, 1 by 1 by 1. Q9 makes attacks of 4-5 (Hight) and down goes Jotun!
While Jotun does cost more than Q9, he will end up killing more than just Q9.
Q9 will also kill more then just Jotun (If you use the 'Reaver strategy. Plus, 1 well-placed squad of KMA can easily make Jotun go down! I've seen Jotun die in 2 attacks of 4! This is rare, but 6 or 7 attacks of 4 from the KMA will take him down. If you use a good hit and run strategy, you can easily do that against Jotun (I know, I've done it, and had it used against me).

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:07 PM

pti8 is surprisingly tart

Q9's is a special attack though. And, as we all know, special attacks bypass so many abilities. Also 4 attack 7 defense and 8 range are nothing to sneeze at.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units