Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old February 19th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: A list of Classics

Quote:
wait, is the list what you have read or haven't?
It is what I have read

Quote:
Judging from your original post, you're about 16.
Actually, I am fourteen almost fifteen .

Edit:
Quote:
I'm surprised you haven't read this yet. My English class just finished it on Friday, and I'm a freshman.
I have read it (as I stated in a previous post), I just forgot to list it (it was about two years ago in the Eighth Grade) as well as the Merchant of Venice and Lord of the Flies (three years ago).

Last edited by Fi Skirata; February 19th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:00 PM

GeneralGrievous13 is surprisingly tart

Lots of great suggestions so far! Here's a couple more classics that you may enjoy:

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

The Prince and the Pauper

Don Quixote

Gulliver's Travels

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Rip Van Winkle

Oliver Twist

Silas Marner

The Wind in the Willows
Old February 19th, 2012, 08:13 PM

Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Also, to let you all know, I am slotted to read Hamlet this year in school. With MacBeth and a few other of Shakespeare's works next year in British lit.
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Catcher in the Rye,

Killer Angels,

to name a couple.
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I've been jonesing to read for a while, but time (and reading speed) make it a little difficult. I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks at work ( about 5-6 hours that I can listen to my mp3 player) and I've discovered a nice resource. booksshouldbefree.com is a source for free audiobooks. All the titles are in the public domain. Reader quality isn't always great, but it is reasonable. There is also http://www.gutenberg.org/ is basically the same thing for ebooks in all kinds of formats.
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:14 PM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

This one's not a real classic novel in some sense but it was nominated as one of the top 100 books by Time Magazine. The Watchmen... the graphic novel by Alan Moore.

A few more suggestions of short readings...

Siddharta - Hermann Hesse
Jonathan Livingston Seagull - Richard Bach
The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Mythologies (Greek, Norse, Romans, or if you can find Chinese or Japanese too)
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM

I just finished Sea Wolf for school and I am starting on Don Quixote, by suggestion of GeneralGrievous13 .
Old February 20th, 2012, 10:23 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Just go to Project Gutenberg and look at the top downloads to see what the most popular public domain books available for free download. Just ignore the first book on the list, but work your way down. I am reading some Jane Austin books right now as well as LOTR (never read before).
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I just finished Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and really enjoyed it. It surprisingly read really fast and the persepective from the monster's view is brilliant writing.

Edit- already read it I see
Old March 10th, 2012, 08:03 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Just go to Project Gutenberg and look at the top downloads to see what the most popular public domain books available for free download. Just ignore the first book on the list, but work your way down. I am reading some Jane Austin books right now as well as LOTR (never read before).
The Kama Sutra is the top download and might not be appropriate for a 14 year old. Still, it did help me to remember some of my favorite classics.

You've read many of the books I would have suggested. A few other great choices would be:
A Tale of Two Cities
The Prince (also see The Art of War and The Book of the Five Rings)
Gulliver's Travels (also read A Modest Proposal)
Walden Two (possibly a positive version of Brave New World)
The Crucible (it may be a play, but I thought it was great)
Slaughterhouse Five (it might not be a classic yet, but it will be)
Siddharta
A Confederacy of Dunces (definitely not a classic, but it should be one day)

Last edited by Rich10; March 10th, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I just finished The Prince and the Pauper (for school) and am halfway through Don Quixote (it is surprisingly long).
Old July 7th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Anything (or better yet everything) by Robert E. Howard.
The greatest story teller to ever spin a yarn.
The father of sword & sorcery but he wrote tales for many genres including westerns, historical, boxing, Oriental, and even Cthullu (he was friends with H.P. Lovecraft).
Amazing writer able to deliver gripping descriptions with few words. He was also a great poet.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books