Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old November 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of Axegrinders of Burning Forge

We did some Black Friday Scaping at my house yesterday and my dad used the Dwarves in three games with great success.

The games were 2 teams of 2 or 3, themed 250 point armies. The 6-player game had only 1 army per side being allowed to use range, and the rest were melee only. Throughout the day, the dwarves managed to best Scots and Elven Archers with support from a few Knights of Weston that survived the initial onslaught of the Elves and Gladiators and, in a second game, single-handedly beat the Gladiatrons and X17 then come help some Zombies finish off Marro Drones and Dividers. The final game was lost to them, but it was really close. The Dwarves were teamed up with my 2x Anubian Wolves, 1x Wolves of Badru, and a Dumetef Guard against three squads of Warriors of Ashra and Emirroon and Tagawa and Kozuke Samurai and one squad of Yari Ashigaru. The Wolves didn't do much, I think they got a couple of WoA and maybe a Samurai. The Dwarves killed all the Samurai and all but two WoA before the Elves managed to finish poor Migol off.

I thought it was really impressive that the Dwarves did so well, even though it wasn't really their niche. Migol is a really powerful hero able to lay down some hurt and the flexibility the Dwarves have with their bonding makes them fun to play. Definately one of my favorite squads in HeroScape, and now one of my dad's favorites too. Looking forward to the new dwarf hero next year.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played about 6-7 games with these guys over TG, and I am very impressed. I played this army several times.

x2 AoBF-140
Migol Ironwill-250
x2 MRT-390
Brave Arrow-440
x3 Spiders-560
Sujoah-745

They were consistently my best units. They are Aquilla's strongest melee base as of right now. As long as she does not get anything that is as incredible as the rats, these guys will stay as her best squad for me.

Based on what I have seen, Aquilla is the first real general that came out of the gates as a real fighting force. She has her huge baddy (Sujoah), her melee screen (Spiders), a strong melee hero (Migol) with a good accompaning squad (Axegrinders), a ok range base (MRT), and a good filler hero (Brave Arrow). I think that Aquilla has the power to be the top contender in general based armies from now on.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old November 29th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
I think that Aquilla has the power to be the top contender in general based armies from now on.
That's what they all say until they see "the Utgar pile."
Old November 29th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:
I think that Aquilla has the power to be the top contender in general based armies from now on.
I don't know about that. I think Aquilla could put up a pretty good fight against any same-point cost Utgar army. I think Dwarves and Migol top almost every melee squad Utgar has, except maybe Dividers or Zombies.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know about that. I think Aquilla could put up a pretty good fight against any same-point cost Utgar army. I think Dwarves and Migol top almost every melee squad Utgar has, except maybe Dividers or Zombies.
But here is the thing, you are arguing for ONE army. Basically, you are arguing for the Dwarves, which according to you are the only things making Aquilla good (somebody mentioned Sujoah as well)

The thing with Utgar, and every other general for that matter, is that they have many many different armies. Look at utgar. Utgar isn't just melee squads. There are the stingers, deathwalkers, and the arrow grut builds. Plus, for more melee, there are the orcs (both heavy and blade), the zombies, all kinds of marro armies (dividers, drones, marrden hounds, TKN+grubs, etc.), and probably even more stuff I am forgetting about.

Other generals have all kinds of stuff too. Take a look at Jandar or Einar.

The axegrinders are good, sure, but they definitely don't put Aquilla on even footing with the other generals. Especially when you consider that if you are taking an Aquilla army, people know what you are bringing if the Axegrinders are the only unit complete enough within Aquilla to bring right now. And being predictable is bad, because people will be prepared to counter you.
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But here is the thing, you are arguing for ONE army. Basically, you are arguing for the Dwarves, which according to you are the only things making Aquilla good (somebody mentioned Sujoah as well)

The thing with Utgar, and every other general for that matter, is that they have many many different armies. Look at utgar. Utgar isn't just melee squads. There are the stingers, deathwalkers, and the arrow grut builds. Plus, for more melee, there are the orcs (both heavy and blade), the zombies, all kinds of marro armies (dividers, drones, marrden hounds, TKN+grubs, etc.), and probably even more stuff I am forgetting about.

Other generals have all kinds of stuff too. Take a look at Jandar or Einar.

The axegrinders are good, sure, but they definitely don't put Aquilla on even footing with the other generals. Especially when you consider that if you are taking an Aquilla army, people know what you are bringing if the Axegrinders are the only unit complete enough within Aquilla to bring right now. And being predictable is bad, because people will be prepared to counter you.
I see your point about versatility. For army options, every other general does have a lot more options than does Aquilla. However, the point originally made and the one I favor is that Aquilla's limited options are very good, especially compared to where the other generals were with only 8 cards.

I think Grom's point was that Aquilla can send out an army capable of contending with other general-specific armies. She has a solid melee squad, screen units, and decent ranged units, everything a decent army needs. I'd also like to point out that her units could be viewed as among the best for what they do. Dwarves and Migol certainly rank up around the Knights of Weston, in my opinion. The Spiders are fast little buggers capable of engaging and possibly removing order markers, making them a decent screening unit. I believe the Mohicans are among only two ranged units with bonding that allows another unit to attack (the arrow gruts are the other, and blastatrons and Nakita both have movement bonding). Sujoah is capable of dealing with powerful heroes. Brave Arrow is an excellent choice for 50 points. I've yet to see what the final verdict on the two new units is, but overall, Aquilla seems to have pretty good units and can form one of the better general-specific armies out there.

Jugger

Old November 30th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I personally think the Granite Guardians are Aquilla's best melee unit...The dwarves are okay but unless they're fighting Large figs, they're just kinda average...

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
I personally think the Granite Guardians are Aquilla's best melee unit...The dwarves are okay but unless they're fighting Large figs, they're just kinda average...

Brandon
I disagree. I think the Dwarves ability to attack with five figure per turn will destroy the Guardians, though I've yet to play this. I also think against most anything else the Dwarves will do better than the Guardians.

I think a lot of people underestimate the power of numbers in this game. Being able to make 5 attacks is incredible, and a reason many of the highly rated units are where they are.

Jugger

Old November 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

When you guys look at Aquilla as a general, that's not really fair. To be fair, I think you need to include Ullar with her. There are just too many amazing synergies there to not consider them together. And, these synergies were obviously made for each other - not like the Marcus+Mass stuff.

I think if we had some more Thormun's Journals, they'd tell us that Aquilla and Ullar have some sort of distinct connection in the storyline. Looking at their units, they just have to.

I'll put a MRT/Mittens army up against any of Utgar's forces any day of the week.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
When you guys look at Aquilla as a general, that's not really fair. To be fair, I think you need to include Ullar with her. There are just too many amazing synergies there to not consider them together. And, these synergies were obviously made for each other - not like the Marcus+Mass stuff.

I think if we had some more Thormun's Journals, they'd tell us that Aquilla and Ullar have some sort of distinct connection in the storyline. Looking at their units, they just have to.

I'll put a MRT/Mittens army up against any of Utgar's forces any day of the week.
Yeah, the inclusion of Mittens is really essential to getting the most out of Aquilla. Spiders that move 9 and Mohicans that move 7 can really wreak havoc.

Jugger

Old December 7th, 2009, 12:59 AM

Kroz knows what's in an order marker Kroz knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post

Yeah, the inclusion of Mittens is really essential to getting the most out of Aquilla. Spiders that move 9 and Mohicans that move 7 can really wreak havoc.
I believe that Mittens is essential to the MRT. With that move of seven they play much more like Indians in my opinion. Fast mobile troops. They can easily take height giving them that 2 defense and 3 attack. This increases their flimsy defense. Tie in the fact that Brave arrow is an excellent Glyph holder. If they can obtain the +1 defense glyph their chances are higher. I noticed this bonding between Aquilla and Ullar as well. The chance to grab glyphs and the high ground are great. Not to mention the enemy melee squads engage them, they just gain more defense and attack. If they are attacked by 4th Mass without a melee screen mittens with Vipers can certainly make a mess with the 4th Mass and disrupt their attack.

Yet about the Axegrinders. I believe that if you have a close game with any unit against someone of your own skill level and the luck of the roll is pretty even, then said unit is good. If said unit constantly wins then they can be classified A or if they constantly lose then we all know where. Thus I make my conclusion that they are certainly a very good unit. Compared to the knights. I just don't know. I'd have to play test them.
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I think the Axegrinders are legit, and might be even more popular next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units