Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
54MM: The One True Scale

Those of us who collect and wargame with 54mm toy soldiers aka 1/32 size (I've popularized the phrase 'The One True Scale') trace this part of the hobby back to Our Founder H.G. Wells. His book Little Wars has photos of him out in his back yard playing with metal Britain's minatures in his straw boater before the First World War. The international discussion site for painting, collecting, and gaming etc. is at www.littlewars@yahoogroups.com

In my former print column, Those Fightin' Fifty-Fours, I talked for years about collecting and gaming with 54mm plastics in the old MWAN magazine, which is available at magweb.com (Wargaming Magazines on the Web). Today I own about 20,000 painted figures, organized in armies from Medieval Times to the Korean War. Of course I have terrain and vehicles to go with them, and usually use my own rules, which have been developing since the 1960s.

Every month here in NYC (home of the Forbes Museum, which houses one of the greatest collections of toy soldiers on the planet) I and my regular players time hop from period to period, depending on what I've recently painted up and what we haven't done yet. We do historicial games from many centuries, but we've also done Fantasy and Victorian Adventures On Mars!

There are three annual Conventions held in Pennsylvania. To find out about them and the Historical Miniatures Gaming Society, check out www.hmgs.org

Feel free to PM me or ask questions here if you are interested...

(Edit) Update:

Sadly, magweb is out of business, and the Forbes Museum closed. However, 54mm gaming is alive and well on many sites!

Last edited by chas; July 7th, 2014 at 07:05 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures