Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old January 24th, 2008, 12:41 PM

Leif Kicker rolls all skulls baby! Leif Kicker rolls all skulls baby! Leif Kicker rolls all skulls baby! Leif Kicker rolls all skulls baby!
TUT: How to make trees by Leifkicker

With the recent news of WOTC taking over Heroscape we also learned that there are some snags in the jungle expansion. So to tide you over until the figure out how to get official trees in our hands here is a small tutorial.

To start take a square of tinfoil and wad it up into a tree like form.

Wrap the tinfoil tree armature with wire. Each wire end will represent a "bunch" of tree limbs/leaves

Here is a pic of what I recommend you using for your leaves. I picked this up at Michaels for about $10.00, there is plenty here for a forest of trees.

I pulled of a dozen or so of the plant parts. Notice the small hole at the end. This is the hole we will use to thread onto the wire.

Here I have threaded about 4 of the plastic plants parts onto the wire. After you thread the pieces wrap the extra length of wire back around the plastic leaves and back down the tinfoil

Super glue the tree onto a heroscape tile. You can mash the bottom of the tree and rub it back on forth on the table top to make a nice flat surface on the bottom to glue to the tile.

Next we will cover the tree in apoxie clay, here are some shots of the clay. This apoxie clay is pretty tacky but can that can be overcome by keeping your fingers and tools damp through out handling.

After you mix the clay cover the tree evenly

Using a tool with a slightly rounded end I added texture to the tree to resemble bark by dragging the tip about 1/8 of an inch each stroke. I repeated the process around the tree.

Using the other flat pointed end of the tool I made some roots and some other tree textures.

When the tree is done to your approval let it set and cure for a couple of hours until the clay has started to firm and wont mash when you handle it. Then you can flock around the base.

And here you have a tree ready to paint to your liking.

Here are some finished trees

Thanks for looking!

Trav
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Amazing!

Thanks for the tutorial!!!
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Rythos has disabled reputation

As always your work never dissapoints.

Ry

Generous deed should not be checked by cold counsel
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth
Nice work! It's funny, I was just in Michael's yesterday looking through all of the artificial plants to do pretty much the same thing as you did. The only thing I might add is to watch the scale. The leaves of the plants have to be as small as you can get them or you'll be unhappy with the results. There's a lot of great stuff to be found in pet stores, mainly aquarium plants. Their leaves tend to be smaller.
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun
One tip I've learned for using Apoxie or any putty is to work with it underwater like in a deep sink or even a tupperware container. Keeps it from sticking and works well for me.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Next we will cover the tree in apoxie clay, here are some shots of the clay. This apoxie clay is pretty tacky but can that can be overcome by keeping your fingers and tools damp through out handling.
Thanks for the tutorial.

Where do you get the apoxie clay and how much does it cost?

I was EyeOfSauron back in the day.
Now I'm Mythic.
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:18 PM

zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker
Hail, custom terrain king.

I do art. Check it out.

http://insanelyzanter.deviantart.com/
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Leif Kicker rolls all skulls baby! Leif Kicker rolls all skulls baby! Leif Kicker rolls all skulls baby! Leif Kicker rolls all skulls baby!
www.avesstudio.com
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun
How does that stuff compare to Green Stuff or Brown Stuff? What is the level of hardness?

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:04 PM

I have only used green stuff. I feel they are close to the same in how you work with it and strength but its been a bit since I've used the green stuff.
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Gorgeous and very informative.
Thanks, Leif!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles