Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old November 16th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Race for the presidency political discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
Oh wow! I didn't see the long overdue response to stuff.. wow! Glad the communist party is back in biz!

Well, all I have to say is that the opinion of someone who has the gall to say that 100% of everyone they know has NO healthcare, yet lives in a neighborhood that looks like this:
pretty much carries no substantial weight.
Was this necessary? This is not the direction we want this thread to go. This is a good thread so far and I am not wanting it to turn into a personal tiff between two members. Have respect. Stay on task.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Please Refer:

Heroscapers.com Guidelines for Conduct

Abusive behavior towards others. When you post in reply to people, pretend that you are arguing with an umpire.
“You blew that call, he was safe by a mile.” = Okay
“You blow.” = Ejected

Or, if we had a Heroscapers get-together, we were all eating pizza and drinking beer, having a good time, would yelling your comment get you punched, then or later? (Comments like his would get him knocked the **** out, believe it)

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog

Last edited by SuperflyTNT; November 18th, 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax View Post
One more thing:

Quote:
The child has no personality, no soul, and no idea that it is even alive.
There is no possible way to verify the lack of personality, soul or self-awareness. Just because the heart has not started beating or the lungs started heaving, does that mean that whatever is there has no soul? How do you know? I don't know that it does have a soul or personality, but I would rather err on the side of caution.
Sorry, Imax, but you're off on this one . Children in the womb absolutely DO have a personality. My first daughter used to wiggle and kick whenever Bob Marley would be on the stereo, and would stop moving when operatic music was on. My youngest used to 'track' my wife's hand - literally touching where my wife touched, only on the inside. Amazing, but creepy.

So, I wold argue that children in the womb definately have a personality.
Ooh, I like what you did there - you disagreed with me, setting it up like you were about to shoot down the point, then actually reinforced it and brought it back on itself. Tricky stuff right there.

Gulp, I can understand the 2-3 months thing. I disagree, but if the abortion laws absolutely outlawed abortion after week 11, it would be a drastic improvement. It wouldn't be as good as I would like to see - it still allows a woman to avoid responsibility for her actions if she acts quickly - but it would be a lot better than what we have now. Right now a woman can get an abortion all the way up to 6 months, and I think that's horrific.

(Eleven weeks, by the way, is the start of discernible brain activity. If the little booger can think, it ought to have the rights enjoyed by every other sentient person, including the right to not be arbitrarily smoke tested.)

I'm bundling in two responses to two topics in one post.

Sweetcurse, I agree with you regarding universal health care. I am more adamant about this topic than nearly any other we've discussed. I am so completely in favor of universal health care that I would donate as much as I could to any candidate who would support it. I feel it is the most basic of Christian and American values that we all chip in to make certain that nobody in our country goes without the medical care they need, and it frustrates me to no end to see people oppose it as strongly as they do.

However, no matter how much we agree, you have got to tone it down. People who disagree about universal health care are not monsters. They are not blind, they are not low, they are not heartless or sad beings. Being this abusive has two negative effects on your argument.

First, you instantly raise barriers between yourself and anyone who disagrees with you. Nobody is going to be persuaded to join your side after you call them a blind, low, heartless monster. Hell, I agree with your stance on universal health care, and I don't want to side with you because I don't want to look like a loon-by-proxy.

Second, you devalue your own argument. You appear irrational and overly emotional, and whether your points are valid or not will be lost in your ranting. Even when you present good points and powerful arguments, they appear to be insane rambling when you start calling your opponents unholy devil men.

So scale it back a little. Take it down a notch. Ease off the throttle, killer. Holster those six-guns. Make up your own silly cliches, if it helps. You can be enthusiastic. You can be passionate. Just don't get so verbally violent.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Was this necessary? This is not the direction we want this thread to go. This is a good thread so far and I am not wanting it to turn into a personal tiff between two members. Have respect. Stay on task.
In all fairness, GB, Superfly and Fezzik both just came under ridiculously heated attack. I don't share their opinions regarding health care, but Sweetcurse's attack was completely unwarranted and extravagantly overblown. I think the replies he got from Fezzik and Superfly were quite reasonable by comparison.

Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:43 PM

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004393.html

Infant Mortality Rates In:

US:
6.4 per million

Mexico:
19.6 per million

Average Lifespan In:

US: 78 years

Mexico: 75.6

It's pretty clear that the Mexican healthcare system is not as good as that in the US. Looking at these numbers, though, it's pretty clear that European countries do indeed have a better health/wellness system.

I was famous, once...
Visit my site:
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Man Genius

This brings up a good point. Europeans countries do take better care of their citizens. Providing better lives for the people of your country seems like a no-brainer of a good idea to me.

Ironically, while I like to point to European nations as examples of how to do health care, there are two dangers that should be avoided when drawing those comparisons.

1) A desire to provide for our people this well is good; a desire to make ourselves just like they are is not. We are the US. We are not Portugal. Just because I want to provide for American citizens as well as Sweden provides for its citizens does not mean I want us to try to become Sweden.

2) A desire to provide for our people this well is good; a desire to relocate to improve your position is not. I want America to be that good. I don't want to move there because they're better. For one thing, they're not, they just do one thing better, and if we did that one thing that well, we would be WAY better.

Oh, and here's a funny link:
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...ove-to-canada/

Old November 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
In all fairness, GB, Superfly and Fezzik both just came under ridiculously heated attack. I don't share their opinions regarding health care, but Sweetcurse's attack was completely unwarranted and extravagantly overblown. I think the replies he got from Fezzik and Superfly were quite reasonable by comparison.
Absolutely agree. But then we start having our thread turning from passionate debate to personal attacks, the whole thing devolves. The line is when you attempt to invalidate an opinion based upon something like a photo. I expect a lot more from Fezzik, and SFTNT. They don't need to do this to make their point.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM

The photo only illustrated the lunacy that a person who lives in an upper-middle class area (look at the cars, houses...) cannot possibly be telling the truth when he says that he knows not a single soul that has insurance. That's all...

And IMAX, the one loophole in the 'better health in Europe' conundrum is that they have a FAR less stressful lifestyle, are FAR less productive in industry, and have far, FAR better diets than we do. I'd argue that they've found the middle ground between money and lifestyle.

I was famous, once...
Visit my site:
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I got your favorite member right here

Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
I expect a lot more from Fezzik, and SFTNT. They don't need to do this to make their point.

Hey, hey, hey! I didn't post a picture or even address the sob story he gave, though I certainly thought of quite a few things to say regarding his life experiences in regards to his argument. Don't go lumping me in there, guys.

Jeez...

You are the brute squad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh finally
And go Flock yourself.
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
One more thing:

Quote:
The child has no personality, no soul, and no idea that it is even alive.
There is no possible way to verify the lack of personality, soul or self-awareness. Just because the heart has not started beating or the lungs started heaving, does that mean that whatever is there has no soul? How do you know? I don't know that it does have a soul or personality, but I would rather err on the side of caution.
Sorry, Imax, but you're off on this one . Children in the womb absolutely DO have a personality. My first daughter used to wiggle and kick whenever Bob Marley would be on the stereo, and would stop moving when operatic music was on. My youngest used to 'track' my wife's hand - literally touching where my wife touched, only on the inside. Amazing, but creepy.

So, I wold argue that children in the womb definately have a personality.
Ooh, I like what you did there - you disagreed with me, setting it up like you were about to shoot down the point, then actually reinforced it and brought it back on itself. Tricky stuff right there.

Gulp, I can understand the 2-3 months thing. I disagree, but if the abortion laws absolutely outlawed abortion after week 11, it would be a drastic improvement. It wouldn't be as good as I would like to see - it still allows a woman to avoid responsibility for her actions if she acts quickly - but it would be a lot better than what we have now. Right now a woman can get an abortion all the way up to 6 months, and I think that's horrific.

(Eleven weeks, by the way, is the start of discernible brain activity. If the little booger can think, it ought to have the rights enjoyed by every other sentient person, including the right to not be arbitrarily smoke tested.)
I'm going to take some time to do some reading on the topics that concern me, and see if I can figure out where I'm getting tangled up.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzikthedoor View Post
Quote:
I expect a lot more from Fezzik, and SFTNT. They don't need to do this to make their point.

Hey, hey, hey! I didn't post a picture or even address the sob story he gave, though I certainly thought of quite a few things to say regarding his life experiences in regards to his argument. Don't go lumping me in there, guys.

Jeez...
This was a good lump. You are on par with some of this thread's MVPs. Addressing Sweetcurse's argument would be the exact correct way to deal with rebutting his post.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation

I just thought it was funny.

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General