Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP News
AotP News Sightings, official news, etc.

Old August 18th, 2015, 12:14 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Hasbro confirmed distribution model for expansions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post
Sparking interest at a local gaming store is how this game will live or die
I am skeptical of this.

By that I mean, I want this to be successful at the Brick&Mortar level too of course, being a gamer who isn't ignorant of specialized shops such as game stores.

But people go into Big Box all the time, all day long and have done so since department stores first came into vogue. When I am sitting in a game shop for a few hours painting minis, and see customers come in asking for the latest video game as if it was a game stop, this anecdotal evidence, to me, is pretty telling of consumers in general.

In short, this doesn't need FLGS to succeed or die. This is why FFG and other game companies vie for a position on Big Box shelves, for greater profit.
It would be better if it's presence in game shops, but people that go to game shops go to Target too. Not everyone that goes to Target, goes to game shops.
Old August 18th, 2015, 12:43 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorcrayons View Post
Quote:
I am skeptical of this.

By that I mean, I want this to be successful at the Brick&Mortar level too of course, being a gamer who isn't ignorant of specialized shops such as game stores.

But people go into Big Box all the time, all day long and have done so since department stores first came into vogue. When I am sitting in a game shop for a few hours painting minis, and see customers come in asking for the latest video game as if it was a game stop, this anecdotal evidence, to me, is pretty telling of consumers in general.

In short, this doesn't need FLGS to succeed or die. This is why FFG and other game companies vie for a position on Big Box shelves, for greater profit.
It would be better if it's presence in game shops, but people that go to game shops go to Target too. Not everyone that goes to Target, goes to game shops.
True. The bottom line is that if the game doesn't sell in big stores at a profit great than Magic: The Gathering, this game will most likely die out. That is how Hasbro has run things in the past. The only thing we can control is our attempts to at least spark interest in gaming stores and get those people interested, which in turn would mean better profits.

If you are friends with people at a big store like Target or something then by all means try to get them to promote the game though.
Old August 18th, 2015, 10:49 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

I am surprised that at my local BB's (6x Walmarts and 4x Targets) where I have seen the M:tG-AotPW game, I found it in the Toy Dept.'s Game aisle along with Apples-to-Apples, Bingo, Clue, Etc. and *NOT* in the special aisle in the front of the store where all the M:tG, Pokémon, and Yu-gi-ho CCG's are kept. I'm sure that the Hasbro marketing exec's would have some say in how and where this new game would be displayed. It seems myopic to me that the corporate "suits" would overlook this aspect.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old August 18th, 2015, 11:10 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Meanwhile, here in NYC I'm going undercover to a certain hospital in Manhattan at 6 AM tomorrow which shall remain nameless, where I shall meet a certain contact, in order to procure my own copy.

Don't ask. If you knew, we'd have to kill you.

Cue Mission Impossible TV theme...

(Edit) Mission Accomplished! (But it never really happened.)

Last edited by chas; August 19th, 2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old August 18th, 2015, 11:58 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
I am surprised that at my local BB's (6x Walmarts and 4x Targets) where I have seen the M:tG-AotPW game, I found it in the Toy Dept.'s Game aisle along with Apples-to-Apples, Bingo, Clue, Etc. and *NOT* in the special aisle in the front of the store where all the M:tG, Pokémon, and Yu-gi-ho CCG's are kept. I'm sure that the Hasbro marketing exec's would have some say in how and where this new game would be displayed. It seems myopic to me that the corporate "suits" would overlook this aspect.
The collectible stuff in the front of the store is often stocked by an outside vendor and not the store staff. The store itsself usually doesn't have a very good understanding of the inventory in that section because they don't handle it, except ringing it up if someone brings it to the register. So from a stocking perspective, it doesn't make sense to put it there. But I agree it would probably help boost sales and interest.

I've run into frustration trying to get local Targets to stock Heroclix so I can get the exclusives and they are unresponsive because someone from another company stocks that section.
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:25 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Thanks @Hogg -
That's a great point. I forgot about that aspect of BB retailing. It's been a few years since I worked in that industry.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:49 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorcrayons View Post
Quote:
I am skeptical of this.
It's really going to come down to the overall big picture in the end. Locally, there are 2 FLGS within 15 minutes, and a third that is about 3) minutes.

The two closest want nothing to do with AotP. One only hosts MTG and Yu-Gi-Oh. Not even Pokemon gets any real amount of shelving space. The second does play a good amount of MTG, as the owners and managers all play, but the store's real passion lies in Heroclix. Every Sunday a few gather to play 8+ hour-long games of Arkham Horror with all the expansions, but they're slowly getting pushed out for more Heroclix (they don't have a lot of space).

The third is the place most likely to pick up AotP, but I don't know if it will catch. The place is casual to the core. They get a large turnout for Friday Night Magic and new set releases, but the owner hates holding other tournaments as they "tend to bring out the worst kinds of Magic players" (the kind who after paying $50 entry fees want to win that $2,000 prize, not just "have fun"). She used to host HSNights every Tuesday night, but those of us that took it a little more seriously were often pulled aside and talked about how we can't be bringing/drafting these armies that are just designed to win. So we just play at my house.

Anyway, with her pushing the serious HS players away and Tuesday nights just becoming another D&D night, I can't see the game really taking off there.

Which is why the big-picture matters. Between the 7 people in my core group, we've bought 7 copies of AotP just for figures. WotC doesn't care that we'll never play the base game again, just that they got $210 from us.
Old August 20th, 2015, 02:16 PM

jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby!

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/adamst...alkers-review/

Quote:
“This expansion adds new Planeswalkers, creatures, and spells for players to supercharge their games, and it requires the core Arena of the Planeswalkers game. More details will be revealed at PAX Prime at the end of August,” Angus shared by e-mail.
Old August 20th, 2015, 02:31 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsanner2 View Post
http://www.gatheringmagic.com/adamst...alkers-review/

Quote:
“This expansion adds new Planeswalkers, creatures, and spells for players to supercharge their games, and it requires the core Arena of the Planeswalkers game. More details will be revealed at PAX Prime at the end of August,” Angus shared by e-mail.
Awesome. I am surprised they are releasing more planeswalkers but I'll gladly take them!
Old August 22nd, 2015, 04:39 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It makes me wonder: Would Hasbro/ Wizards be willing to promote the game by a slight sponsering of this year's NHSD events. (Competing for an AoTP base set could really bump up attendance, which has been down everywhere for the past few years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old August 27th, 2015, 03:16 PM

Keep an eye out for new expansion news. Pax Prime starts tomorrow!
Old August 28th, 2015, 09:40 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Saw this in my FB feed today.

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/news-0...ion-is-coming/

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP News