Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

View Poll Results: What do you think of allowing partial common squad drafting?
like it. 31 20.39%
like it, and I would even allow less than a single squad. 8 5.26%
don't like it, because I like the challenge of drafting to a point total. 26 17.11%
don't like it, because I like the low-point heroes and this brings us closer to squadscape. 5 3.29%
don't like it, for both of the above reasons. 43 28.29%
don't like it, for a different reason. 29 19.08%
unsure/no opinion 7 4.61%
other 3 1.97%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Re: Why not allow partial common squad drafting?

I, certainly, would be willing to play either way. My only gripe was the statement that full card scoring was in no way official, when it, in fact, is. It's fine with me if you don't like it or don't want to play it, though.
Old November 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM

PlasmaScaper 2.0 is surprisingly tart

My opinion on partial squad drafting is, it's not a bad idea, but I myself wouldn't use it. Just makes it too complex.

Posts by me are rare occasions. I mostly hang around other places these days, but I come here every once in a while.
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:53 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
My only gripe was the statement that full card scoring was in no way official, when it, in fact, is.
Sorry, I'm not seeing where someone said that it was? Perhaps it's farther back than I'm looking.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
My only gripe was the statement that full card scoring was in no way official, when it, in fact, is.
Sorry, I'm not seeing where someone said that it was? Perhaps it's farther back than I'm looking.
I took this statement as saying there was nothing in the rules about card total scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
There is nothing in the rules about card total scoring.
It's one page back from here.

Last edited by Revdyer; November 29th, 2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:36 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

OK, thanks Rev.Well, he's been corrected now but I knew that was in the rules...just chose to ignore it and go with a better system.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:00 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
OK, thanks Rev.Well, he's been corrected now but I knew that was in the rules...just chose to ignore it and go with a better system.
I'm going to try that too! Instead of rolling dice, I'll just pick the outcome I want from now on.

Old November 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM

How is that a better system?

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
I'm going to try that too! Instead of rolling dice, I'll just pick the outcome I want from now on.
Quote:
How is that a better system?
He always wins

~Aldin, who just won an Ardennes game

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:42 PM

Perhaps I should have said "better tournament system." If the close games are the best games, then each player scoring more points for damage deal makes much better games than frustrating ones where you couldn't kill that last rat your opponent hid in the corner and thus get 0 points instead of 30.

I wouldn't even call a system where you always win better, anyway. That takes all the fun out of it.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
I wouldn't even call a system where you always win better, anyway. That takes all the fun out of it.
Tell it to 007!

~Aldin, who agrees with Necro, actually

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM

Cthulhu1979 is surprisingly tart

The issue that I see with partial common squad drafting can be spotlighted with the use of Grok Riders.

With each counter that is placed on a squad of Grok Riders, you can also activate a Marro Warlord. If you draft a partial squad, does that partial squad activate with its own card, or does it activate on the full squad's turn?

In short, by spending a limited number of points, you can gain an additional activation of a Marro Warlord.

I believe that the 130 points that the Grok Riders cost is a mechanism to assure a limited number of Bonding-related activations (I'm insinuating that it would be costly to draft more than 2 Grok Rider squads in a 500ish point game).

If the partial squad gets its own card, it would cost 174 points to get 2 activations of a Marro Warlord, while the rules (as written) consider that it would cost 260 points to get those activations.

For less than 50 points, you can still have a piece on the board that allows bonding.

For less than 50 points, you can have an extra Grok Rider that can hang back and attack stragglers fairly well (or hold a glyph) while the full squad takes part in the battle.

If the partial squad is included on the full squad's card, then things change a bit, and that squad is likely to become a target for Mindshacklin' and other such "I've got your card" shenanigans. Yet, that would be the risk of the player, and not something of intrinsic value to the fairness of the rule.

Also, another thing to consider: a Squad that costs x number of points gets you z activations. Paying less for a squad with fewer activations makes sense, but is it sound strategy? At least the ten point, gylph grabbing and mega stealthy red ninja from Utgar can fend for himself for a while by using his special powers.

Just food for thought.

~Harry
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:43 AM

You activate the Warlord with each marker, regardless of how many Groks (minimum 1) you have. So adding 1 Grok doesn't add any activations, until he's your only one left, then you can still activate with Warlord without having paid the 130 points...but you only have 1 Grok left. Another bonding group would've been a better example, as the Groks aren't too competitive to begin with.

Obviously the added unit can be activated like any common unit...I'm not sure how it couldn't be "included on the full squad's card" and think you may be confused as to a rule or two.

You can't Mindshackle common figures.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions