Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old February 12th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation
Re: Greater Ice Elemental discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiusx View Post
Didn't know that my Obsidian comment would spark all of this.

-scorp
Part of it is the fact that in the days when only a few powers, like Dragon breath and Elf Wizard spells, had any kind of supposed "energy" type, it was easy to ignore. People mused about how maybe Mimring should have Lava Resistance, maybe he shouldn't, but it didn't affect the game. Minor stuff like that. The Moltarns and Brunak seemed like their Lava Resistance was designned to help against Fireline and such, but there were very few powers with fire at the time, and we just accepted that Moltarns could swim through lava but still die from fire. Perhaps it was magical fire?

Once you introduce Elementals (beyond the exception of the Moltarns) into the game, as is being done on a larger scale, especially when water tiles are turning into ice, it's only natural to wonder about things like energy type, resistance/immunity and vulnerability. It would make things slightly complicated, but the real complication, IMO, is not keeping track of symbols on cards (if they could all be magically transmorphed into the new format) but, as has been said, that too much errata for existing cards would be needed.

A Heroscape reboot is not really needed, but the natural feeling is to question why lava men are hurt as much as yeti by fire and stuff like that.
Why is a being made of ice itself only resistant to small amounts of Cold damage? Why is a large air elemental insubstantial because he's made of air, but a Large Water Elemental isn't when he's made of water--or for that matter, why isn't a living cyclone insubstantial? Why isn't the Vicejaw Crocodile Aquatic? Why can a Horse only choose a human or an elf as its rider, and not any other medium sized humanoids, including half-elves?

These oddities remain, even when the system is there.
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:48 AM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

I'm dissapointed one of my first ideas with this guy won't work. I thought Nerak's snow stregnth ability also worked on ice spaces, now I know it doesn't. Anyways you could throw the Elemental in a grut army. Park Nerak next to the elemental for a bonus and surround him with Orcs. Keep the aura guy alive and keep the rest of the orcs alive. You get a great diversion or a high attacker for the end-game.

Anyways it was a nice idea for a second.
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:48 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun

This fellow was kind of like my combat engineer in playtesting....I used him an awful lot for river crossings when the rivers were near the start zones. later you don't want to tie him that way but early its a good tactic.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:13 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenEnvy View Post
I'm dissapointed one of my first ideas with this guy won't work. I thought Nerak's snow stregnth ability also worked on ice spaces, now I know it doesn't. Anyways you could throw the Elemental in a grut army. Park Nerak next to the elemental for a bonus and surround him with Orcs. Keep the aura guy alive and keep the rest of the orcs alive. You get a great diversion or a high attacker for the end-game.

Anyways it was a nice idea for a second.
I wish he was considered a glacier - then the Dzu-Teh could hide next to him

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiusx View Post
Didn't know that my Obsidian comment would spark all of this.

-scorp
Part of it is the fact that in the days when only a few powers, like Dragon breath and Elf Wizard spells, had any kind of supposed "energy" type, it was easy to ignore. People mused about how maybe Mimring should have Lava Resistance, maybe he shouldn't, but it didn't affect the game. Minor stuff like that. The Moltarns and Brunak seemed like their Lava Resistance was designned to help against Fireline and such, but there were very few powers with fire at the time, and we just accepted that Moltarns could swim through lava but still die from fire. Perhaps it was magical fire?

Once you introduce Elementals (beyond the exception of the Moltarns) into the game, as is being done on a larger scale, especially when water tiles are turning into ice, it's only natural to wonder about things like energy type, resistance/immunity and vulnerability. It would make things slightly complicated, but the real complication, IMO, is not keeping track of symbols on cards (if they could all be magically transmorphed into the new format) but, as has been said, that too much errata for existing cards would be needed.

A Heroscape reboot is not really needed, but the natural feeling is to question why lava men are hurt as much as yeti by fire and stuff like that.
Why is a being made of ice itself only resistant to small amounts of Cold damage? Why is a large air elemental insubstantial because he's made of air, but a Large Water Elemental isn't when he's made of water--or for that matter, why isn't a living cyclone insubstantial? Why isn't the Vicejaw Crocodile Aquatic? Why can a Horse only choose a human or an elf as its rider, and not any other medium sized humanoids, including half-elves?

These oddities remain, even when the system is there.
I am grateful that HS keeps a simple, balanced system. Keeping track of hundreds of different units and synergies, etc., is enough for me. I like the elegance of the game.

I like that this is a game that my 4 year old can play, that my wife actually enjoys, that non-gamers can have fun with, that I can teach to someone in a single 30 minute scrimmage.

I enjoy the flavor of each unit developed through 1-3 well thought out specials. Kudos, again, to all the designers and developers for packing so much into a simple design. Love it.
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:43 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
The Icemen Cometh...

A friend and I were talking about a fun potential scenario. Have a map with several islands and water separating them and everyone gets an Ice Elemental. Water turns to ice for you only if your Ice Elemental is still alive. Another person's Ice Elemental won't turn ice to water for you.

Other option would be just to have them on that board and use a glyph of Brandar to allow you to put order markers on them. I'm sure there might be some kinks that need to be worked out, but we thought it was a cool idea.

~Dysole, who just gets a really cool mental image everytime he imagines the GIE freezing water.
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:00 PM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Everytime someone says "the GIE", for some reason I get this mental image of the Greater Ice Elemental decked out in bling with one pantleg pulled up, shooting a rap video.

G-I-E, P-O...P-P-A!
No water for the.... M-C-A!
Minions of Utgar mad, cause I'm spikey...

(I got nothin that rhymes with spikey, except Nike, and I couldn't come up with a good line there)

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Everytime someone says "the GIE", for some reason I get this mental image of the Greater Ice Elemental decked out in bling with one pantleg pulled up, shooting a rap video.

G-I-E, P-O...P-P-A!

(I got nothin that rhymes with spikey, except Nike, and I couldn't come up with a good line there)
"Bringin victory like the goddess Nike"?

(Note to our British English speaking friends - in American English it's spikey rather than spike which rhymes with Nike).

~Aldin, mythologically

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:

G-I-E, P-O...P-P-A!

'They gave me a kick ass mini, me likey!'

My Customs
Winter Olympics = $6,000,000,000
Gold Medal Hockey Tickets = $2,000
Seeing an American Politician forced to wear a Canadian Jersey = Priceless
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:

G-I-E, P-O...P-P-A!

I actually thought of the goddess, but I couldn't get the line to flow to the beat of the song, which is "Tap my cell, or my phone in the basement!" but, I think I can go with:

Bring the win, like the Greek goddess Nike!

**pictures a GIE with his arms folded, a sideways baseball cap and 2000 lbs of gold hanging from its neck**

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Colorblind Kid

southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:

G-I-E, P-O...P-P-A!

I actually thought of the goddess, but I couldn't get the line to flow to the beat of the song, which is "Tap my cell, or my phone in the basement!" but, I think I can go with:

Bring the win, like the Greek goddess Nike!

**pictures a GIE with his arms folded, a sideways baseball cap and 2000 lbs of gold hanging from its neck**
It would have to be platinium, not gold. He is iced out right?
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I think that my favorite theroyscape use for these guys so far is to use them as a barrier for ranged units against melee units that can ignore standard screens-notably Orcs, but also any other unit with Disengage or Phantom Walk. Rats don't faze the Gruts, but a 4-hex wide, stabby-ice barrier will make them stop and think. They would be especially effective in an army where you could afford 2 or more of them.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles