Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 20th, 2017, 02:12 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Thanks for all the kind comments guys. I'm super happy that she is starting to enjoy things with me I like. She also plays video games.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old January 22nd, 2017, 09:36 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just finished a second and third play of Commands & Colors Epic Napoleonics. Seven different people love the game, and more want to try it out. With the play of a third scenario next month we will have used all six of the national armies provided: French, British, Spanish, Austrian, Prussian, and Russian. The game only take 3 hours each, and with all hands on deck (we've had 5 and 7 players of 8 so far), any one person actually works less than in a two player game!

The rules here work particularly well, and include distinctive elements from at least three other Commands & Colors games. This is rumored to be designer Richard Borg's favorite period, and he has really gone all out to provide a great gaming experience here.

Also did a first solo of Far East War 1592, which provided tense and entertaining moments and a very close finish. This is an original game on an obscure historical subject, providing a variation on the Japanese samurai era theme. The Japanese invasion of Korea--allied then to Ming China and on the intended Japanese path to the larger nation--helped set the stage for the unification of Japan at the more well known Battle of Sekigahara, in 1600, only two years after the end of this 'Imjin War.'
Old January 22nd, 2017, 10:29 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Maybe one day I'll get to try the epic version Chas. Brian would be the only one in my group that would get that going, though there aren't a lot that are into that period. I've played it a couple times and enjoy it.

Sadly, too many games to play and not enough time.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 22nd, 2017, 11:36 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Sadly, too many games to play and not enough time.

Isn't that the problem. I feel the same. All these sweet games that collect dust on my shelves. I have started a game night that will be done at least a couple times a month where we can start using all these cool games of mine in different campaigns and skirmishes. Its been a while but I pulled out Magic AOTP for a good play. Me and two of my brothers got together at one of their houses and I had brought X2 of all boxes Original, Zendikar,and Innistrad. My one brother brought his heroscape terrain over and built a map. We rarely use the cardboard. I ran a Red/Green army:
Werewolf planeswalker
Pummelroot elementals
Firecats
Mad Prophet

My brother John ran a black and white army
Sorin
Aeronaught captain
avacyn
black cultists
My brother Justin ran a black army
ob nixilus
reavers
ghoul vanguard

Right out of the gate my two brothers summoned their forces and both charged me. This is typical behavior for them.(also because I was so sure of my deck build, I needed humbling.) Ob nixilus killed a pummelroot with his at all costs power giving me an extra card. Sorin killed a pummel root. Then when in range I summoned both my firecats and mad prophet. Both of these cards get a Haste ability and I used them to really lay down the pain on both planeswalkers. Then followed up with an attack with my planeswalker. Obnixilus then killed another one of my firecat squad in which I got another card. Sorin wounded my planeswalker. On my next turn I Enchanted my firecats and hit them with a sorcery of titanic growth. I took height on ob nixilus with the one with titanic growth, that firecat had 10 dice from an enchantment a attack buff from my planeswalker, attack bonus from titanic growth and height giving me a 10 attack die roll. After leveling him down to nothing my second fire cat finished him. My one brother turned one of my firecats into a zombie and that zombie killed the other one the turn after that. Meanwhile my other brother was finishing off my other elemental , then I killed sorin. The aeronaught captain and avacyn cleaned up most of the rest of the figures before avacyn died and the aeronaught captain took the win. We had a lot of fun with all the expansions, and I recommend two of each set to allow many players to crossover with their card decks with multiple colors.

Old January 22nd, 2017, 12:41 PM

Jet knows what's in an order marker Jet knows what's in an order marker

I'm a huge fan for Star Wars Rebellion right! I know a couple of other people here have sung its praises but it's the best Stars Wars game out there. In my latest game, I froze Leia in carbonite and a small counting party had been defeated by the Rebel Base in Hoth. I was about to crush the Rebellion underneath my Imperial boot with overwhelming force.... and then my opponent played rapid mobilization (or whatever card allows them to move the rebel base). On the last turn left, I eventually narrowed it down to 2 planets.. but with only 1 leader left to move my forces: Bothawui or Malastare? I decided against the Bothan homeworld and won the game, capturing the Rebel Base and ensuring that Imperial efficiency reigned through the galaxy. Such a great game!
Old January 22nd, 2017, 02:14 PM
"like" happy

Haven't played Star Wars Rebellion yet. I already have every release of Star wars Imperial Assault and have quite a few X wing ships for my different X wing Fleets. On top of that I have most of all released and non released HOSS units for Heroscape. @Jet , have you played Imperial Assault skirmish mode. Its very good. So when you say there's another Star Wars board game out there that is better that makes me both excited and skeptical. Please tell me you've played Imperial Assault to make your comparison. I don't need to buy any more star wars games but some times I cant help myself.

Old January 22nd, 2017, 02:34 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I have not played Imperial Assault so I can't speak to how good that is. I will say that Rebellion is a pretty fun game that provides two very different and interesting game play experiences depending on who you are playing (Empire or Rebels) while only having one flat cost as an investment. It is a traditional board game where once you buy the game, that is it.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 04:15 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I have not played Imperial Assault so I can't speak to how good that is. I will say that Rebellion is a pretty fun game that provides two very different and interesting game play experiences depending on who you are playing (Empire or Rebels) while only having one flat cost as an investment. It is a traditional board game where once you buy the game, that is it.
Haha, just look at the IP and company though. My money is on at the very least one expansion this year.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 05:53 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I'm not saying I would not buy an expansion pack with some new mission cards in it at some point but I don't see how any expansion to the board or armies themselves could even work. The game rules already accommodate 2, 3, or 4 players and I don't see any reason for 5+ player rules or how you could introduce a 3rd faction. I mean maybe you could work in a few new space ships or land troop types that worked slightly differently than what you already have but there is not a lot of room to move there. You certainly are not dropping $10-$20 on a new hero every few weeks like you do with Imperial Assault, Heroscape, or X-Wing. It has much more in common with a game like Risk 2210 than it does with Heroscape.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 06:08 PM
"like" happy

Good details to know. If its one set period. Then i may still pick it up.

Old January 22nd, 2017, 07:12 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I'm not saying I would not buy an expansion pack with some new mission cards in it at some point but I don't see how any expansion to the board or armies themselves could even work. The game rules already accommodate 2, 3, or 4 players and I don't see any reason for 5+ player rules or how you could introduce a 3rd faction. I mean maybe you could work in a few new space ships or land troop types that worked slightly differently than what you already have but there is not a lot of room to move there. You certainly are not dropping $10-$20 on a new hero every few weeks like you do with Imperial Assault, Heroscape, or X-Wing. It has much more in common with a game like Risk 2210 than it does with Heroscape.
It isn't too hard to imagine more ships, missions, and heroes being added. I never said anything about new expansions every few weeks, I simply said at least one will come this year. Personally, I don't think it needs it, but it will get it- it's a Star Wars IP from Fantasy Flight Games. Just the FFG symbol alone almost guarantees expansions.

As for new units, well a small part of the strategy imo is in when the rebels want a X or Y wing and where. I bet they'll have alternates for many of the symbols. This speculation thread has some great ideas- FFG won't copy them exactly, but new units would definitely increase replayability and strategy. https://community.fantasyflightgames...ansions-units/

As for players, it already works best with 2. More than 2 is overkill already imo.

A new/alternate board could be cool too- I wouldn't be too surprised. Coruscant is at the bottom- there are plenty of systems not used in the original board. Some of the Rogue One planets and Jakku immediately come to mind.

However, @TREX , the game is awesome without any expansions. Probably my second favorite game, only to X-Wing. Haven't had the chance to play IA yet, but I have the core set and will hopefully get Skirmish mode with my dad to the table over spring break or summer.

Biggest flaw for me though is the combat system. It's too clunky and slows down the flow of the game, nothing that can't be overlooked for me, but I'd LOVE an alternate (better) system. The whole roll dice, draw/use tactic cards for each type of battle, and the opponent can block with tactics- too long for a game that doesn't focus on combat.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 01:35 AM

Jet knows what's in an order marker Jet knows what's in an order marker

@TREX

Imperial Assault is a very good game and played it a handful of times! I've heard it compares to D&D in the Star Wars universe. I really do think you need to have more than 2 players (optimally 4) for the best experience though in campaign. I've only gotten to play skirmish mode once and it easily my second favorite game.

That being said, Star Wars Rebellion is COMPLETELY different from Imperial Assault. It plays best for 2 players. It's asymmetric with both sides having completely different objectives. The Rebels are trying to hide and complete their objectives while the Imperials are trying to destroy Rebel Base - neither side knows that the other is truly trying to accomplish. The cat and mouse action can at times feel like a social deduction game and mirrors the experience in other board games where your teammates have a hidden agenda. Also, Rebellion is a lot more strategic and it less tactical than Imperial assault. SW: Rebellion is closer to Twilight Struggle (which I'm also a huge fan of) than most other Star Wars games. I personally found it better that Imperial Assault, despite its flaws.

I'm also a huge fan of the Dice Tower and while they are not perfect I think the best way to evaluate a game before I personally purchase it is to see the game in action. Here's their video for SW: Rebellion:

You could also just youtube Star Wars Rebellion and find another playthrough video. BTW, I'm not associated with the Dice Tower - I just like watching their free content!

Hope this helps! Totally understand if you disagree - I might have to play some more skirmish in Imperial Assault and may change my opinion.

Last edited by Jet; January 23rd, 2017 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Hit submit too early

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games