Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old April 13th, 2012, 05:07 PM

nanop is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Creating an "Uncharted Territory" Terrain Type

So I'm thinking of making an "Uncharted Territory" terrain type and I'm looking for some input.

The terrain is made up of the hex grid printed on paper. Maps (made using 'normal' terrain tiles) are constructed and the paper grid adds a border of hexes around the tiles. This border might range from 1 to 4 hexes wide, depending on the map itself. The Uncharted Territory always exists at a height (level) of 0.

Movement within the Uncharted Territory (UT) for all creatures, including Flying, would be determined by the hex's distance from other terrain types. UT hexes abutting other terrain types would act sort of like "Heavy Snow" and require take a movement of 2 per hex. UT hexes abutting these (and not abutting any other terrain types) would then require a movement of 3 per hex. UT hexes even further out would then require a movement of 4.

Ranged effects (attacks, etc...) would be calculated normally. Also note that, UT would be one level below the terrain tiles that it abuts, so leaving the UT (back to 'normal' terrain tiles) requires one extra (upward) movement.

Thoughts?
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:54 PM

Ace_of_Spades knows what's in an order marker Ace_of_Spades knows what's in an order marker
Re: Creating an "Uncharted Territory" Terrain Type

What's the real-life equivalent of the UT?

At first, I thought it meant the players didn't know what the terrain was because of fog or something similar and was represented by a hex grid beneath the map. As a figure approached the UT (say 5 clear sight spaces), the pieces would be placed on the map using a predetermined Virtual Scape map as referance. Something for maybe dungeon play.

I'm not quite sure I understand why uncharted territory slows you down. Is it a new land type or a status of unseen grass/rock/sand/etc? I suppose I need more detail on what the UT actually is.

Never draw fire; it irritates everyone around you.
~Murphy's Laws of Combat
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Uncharted Territory would be a new land type. It represents someone walking without a map; or maybe someone taking what they believe to be a shortcut. The real-world problems of "loosing your bearings" or "doubling back" are represented by the penalties of moving in the UT land type. The further the unit is from the mapped terrain (traditional hex tiles), the harder it is for them to maintain their sense of direction - hence the increased penalty.
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanop View Post
Uncharted Territory would be a new land type. It represents someone walking without a map; or maybe someone taking what they believe to be a shortcut. The real-world problems of "loosing your bearings" or "doubling back" are represented by the penalties of moving in the UT land type. The further the unit is from the mapped terrain (traditional hex tiles), the harder it is for them to maintain their sense of direction - hence the increased penalty.
So the closest real life equivalent of Uncharted Terrain would likely be a dense thicket, perhaps? I like the idea, but the rules should be as simple as possible, to make it easy to work with in gameplay. The most complicated type of terrain is lava field, and that just involves wounds at the end of the round.
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:47 PM

jackryan4 Woo who?

Going off the thicket idea you could make cost 2 to move through one and some sort of sight hinderence to shoot into them. Or reduced movement but added defense? Move a sniper into them and they would be a pain to get out, but they couldn't run away... I also foresee nice custom foliage with that idea.
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:09 PM

Mmm, the thicket idea has potential.

For the "Uncharted Territory", I was thinking that it would only exist at the edges of the map (as a border) so that maps didn't just end. Units could then go "off map" into the uncharted territory but the terrain's penalties would discourage most from doing so.
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM

jackryan4 Woo who?

Oh, so "quicker" perhaps safer route say a map with lava al the way down the middle. You would go off map not get wounds from lava but take longer? Problem with not ending the map, would it be a border of 1 or 2 tiles or could my army end up on my fridge?
Old April 15th, 2012, 03:06 PM

@jackryan4: I think your example of a short/dangerous route through lava or a long/safer router through the Uncharted Territory is a good one.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "could your army end up on the fringe?" I'm thinking that the width of the UT border could range from 1 to 4 tiles, depending on the type of the map.
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:40 PM

jackryan4 Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanop View Post
@jackryan4: I think your example of a short/dangerous route through lava or a long/safer router through the Uncharted Territory is a good one.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "could your army end up on the fringe?" I'm thinking that the width of the UT border could range from 1 to 4 tiles, depending on the type of the map.
Mostly ment weither someone could move indefinately away from the map say off the table and to the kitchen or if there would be a limit, I think 1-4, depending on map size, with bigger maps having smaller borders sound fair.

Edit: although the added height bonus from a fridge could drastically change a game

Last edited by jackryan4; April 15th, 2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Humorous idea
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:50 AM

Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby! Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby! Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby! Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby! Crypto-Knight rolls all skulls baby!

I could see it also running through the center of conventional tiles. Maybe some excuse like two lands previously unaware of each others' existence or a similar scenario?

Maybe print the hex grid onto a colored paper, like tan or light brown for the thicket? I think white paper would look weird. Overall I like your idea. I think with enough playtest numerous scenarios would present themselves.

rolls one less defense die against figures who like him.
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:00 AM

Yah, I was going to print the hex grids onto parchment paper with a faint map-terrain to it (then laminate the sheets). The 2 lands connected by UT is a great idea

I'm still trying to work out how ranged attacks will work across the Uncharted Territory. I'm thinking of something like:
If the target of an attack is located in the UT and the target is not adjacent to within 2 spaces of the attacker, the attacker must roll a D20 for sight first. If the roll is less than 10, the attacker can't attack and (can't choose another target). Note: the defender then doesn't roll defense either.
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:09 AM

jackryan4 Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto-Knight View Post
I could see it also running through the center of conventional tiles. Maybe some excuse like two lands previously unaware of each others' existence or a similar scenario?

Maybe print the hex grid onto a colored paper, like tan or light brown for the thicket? I think white paper would look weird. Overall I like your idea. I think with enough playtest numerous scenarios would present themselves.
Would you be able to chart UT? For instance when it connects to lands especially if the armies start on opposite sides, would the player who crosses it get to decide what it is, for instance y could move a squad across, make decide to put water or snow under them, my opponent moves a hero across and makes a path of lava. Or something to that effect

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles