Old April 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of Mimring

The Book of Mimring
Rise of the Valkyrie - Master Set

HQ Scan PDF Download
Card with white background in spoiler:
Spoiler Alert!

Character Bio: Who would suspect that a creature of his size could ambush even the most wary of warriors? Yet Mimring is notorious for
such attacks. This fire-breathing behemoth can swoop down undetected and, within seconds, incinerate an enemy line up to 8 warriors deep.
In this war of horrific battlefield events, Mimring's Fire Line Attack is absolutely the most terrifying of all.
Mimring is no slack-jawed, mindless minion; he has a keen intelligence, and can communicate with surprising eloquence when it serves
him. But these powers are squandered on a life devoted solely to stalking, burning and brutalizing. In Mimring, there is a chilling lack of
morality and remorse. His only allegiance is to Utgar, his only goal to forge an ever-widening swath of destruction. (Hasbro)

-Rulings and Clarifications- - MIMRING : Hit Zone

MIMRING : Target Point
ERRATA: Mimring can use his horns as a secondary Target Point. (Hasbro FAQ)

Is Mimring's tail a hit zone?
Yes. (Hasbro FAQ)

- FIRE LINE SPECIAL ATTACK : Which 8 Spaces
Is any figure within any eight spaced line from him attacked at the same time, or any figure within one eight spaced line.
All figures within one eight spaced straight line are hit, as long as you have line of sight. You must decide which direction
he will fire. See page 11 of the Master Game guide for an illustration of this attack. (Hasbro FAQ)

- FIRE LINE SPECIAL ATTACK : Rolling Defense
Mimring uses his Fire Line Special Attack into a crowd. Who gets hit first?
Mimring causes an exception to the "attacker decides" rule. The breath moves from the figure out - so closest to furthest
is the order of hit. (Hasbro FAQ)

Synergy Benefits Received
  • - ARROW GRUTS : Beast Bonding
    As a beast, Mimring may benefit from Arrow Gruts BEAST BONDING activation synergy.
  • - GREENSCALE WARRIORS : As a Unique Huge Dragon Hero, Mimring may be chosen as to benefit from the Greenscale Warriors' LIZARD KING BONDING activation synergy.
  • - ORNAK : Red Flag of Fury
    As a unique hero that follows Utgar, Mimring may benefit from Ornak’s RED FLAG OF FURY activation synergy.

Synergy Benefits Offered
  • - GREENSCALE WARRIORS : Loyalty to the Lizard King
    As a Unique Huge Dragon Hero, if selected as the Greenscale Warriors "Lizard King," Mimring may aid the Greenscale Warriors with their LOYALTY TO THE LIZARD KING Attack and Defense enhancements.
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • - TBA

Power Ranking
@MKSentinel /@Jexik: Fitting well into an Arrow Grut army, Mimring can be devastating at times. His 150-point death before doing much damage can be equally devastating. B-
@OrcElfArmyOne B-
@dok B-
@Cleon Tier 7 (104/319)

Master Index
Ambushing from Bio? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6779
LOS? http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=549
Target Zone…WHY? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=2434
Fireline and Castle? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=2436

Unit Strategy Review

Last edited by lefton4ya; April 22nd, 2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: vc added
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:47 AM

FADE has disabled reputation
This probably isnt worth asking but since he is attacking all hexs in a line of 8, if a double hex character is standing on two of them do they role for defense twice?
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:53 AM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by FADE
This probably isnt worth asking but since he is attacking all hexs in a line of 8, if a double hex character is standing on two of them do they role for defense twice?
Hey Fade, wecome to the boards. The answer to your question is no....all affected figures roll only once.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:24 AM
has been BANNED

Homba is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Mim might have the most obscure official ruling in Scape... when he breathes across "empty space" (where there is no hex gameboard), you count the virtual (non existent) hexes maintaining the straight line of breath until you reach the 8 hex limit. You can breath across long inlets of "empty space" and across holes and gaps this way... you do not count the range "around" the gap like you do with every other ranged attack.

I wish I could give a link citing this... others will remember the discussion and ruling - that's about the best I can do.

Ok I found it... http://www.heroscapers.com/community...aqtemp.html#97

Can't very well have the title of Most Obscure Official Ruling if it is in our FAQ.

H
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I think the most important thing people need to know about Mimring is that he is a ranged figure and should be treated as such. Far too often I see people fly him in close to try and hit multiple units and end up getting him killed. If you can't keep him out of the reach of heavy hitters, keep yourself 8 spaces back and hit them one figure at a time like you would with any other ranged figure. There are some really great uses for his close quarters abilities, but for the most part you're best off learing to play keep away with him before you try anything else.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
I think his defense is to low. If he had a defense of 4 than I think he would be worth the points. I've yet to see him earn his points in battle. He usually falls to a heavy hitter like Drake, Carr, Denrick, or Crixus.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Allow me to elaborate on Eclipse's response a bit, if I may take the liberty to do so, by pointing out an example.
You said Mimring usually falls to heavy hitters like Drake, Carr, Denrick, and Crixus.
For review here ...

Mimring
Move 6
Range 8 special attack
flying for increased mobility

Drake
Move 5
Range 1

Carr
Move 5
Range 6 (but range 1 to get his +4 attack bonus)

Denrick
Move 5
Range 1

Crixus
Move 5
Range 1

Assuming you keep a turn marker on either Mimring or his accompanying Grut Archers every turn your opponent has a marker on one of those tough melee figures mentioned above, and assuming that, as Eclipse suggests, you play Mimring as a range figure, not a melee figure, there's no reason Drake, Carr, Denrick, or Crixus would ever get close enough to put the hurt on Mimring. Carr could get some shots off at six range, but that's a war of attrition with the Dragon and Grut Archers that he's just not going to win.
Now if you said that Mimring's low defense made him an easy target for ranged figures like Syvarris or the KMA or the AE to take down, that'd be another thing. But you mentioned a bunch of comparatively slow and short ranged figures that Mimring should easily be able to stay out of range of, at least for a full round if you don't win initiative.
I'm guessing this particular line of thinking is what brought on Eclipse's throat clearing moment.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
I understand what you are saying Mr. Wayne and I appreciated your less sarcastic way of explaining it. My point is MIMRING ISN'T WORTH HIS POINTS. He USUALLY falls to heavy hitters as I and Eclipse mentioned. I've also seen elf boy lay waste to him along with Nakita agents. My point was simply that every time I've seen him used he's never cashed in his point amount. I apologize if I failed to expalin that better in the previous posts.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I'll agree that he's probably not the most competitive figure out there - though Arrow Grut bonding sure helps him in this regard.
Still, he can be a lot of fun to play - especially against little cousins too foolish not to cluster all their melee guys together ... mwahaha.
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:32 AM

Wilkerson74 has disabled reputation
I love using mimring with arrow gruts. Taking advantage of his range attack is the key. Keep him back and away from heavy hitters, and if he survives an engagement, it might behove you to risk a passing swipe.

Cheers to all of you!

Cheers to your favorite crew!
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:42 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus
I understand what you are saying Mr. Wayne and I appreciated your less sarcastic way of explaining it. My point is MIMRING ISN'T WORTH HIS POINTS. He USUALLY falls to heavy hitters as I and Eclipse mentioned. I've also seen elf boy lay waste to him along with Nakita agents. My point was simply that every time I've seen him used he's never cashed in his point amount. I apologize if I failed to expalin that better in the previous posts.
And I'm telling you that if he falls to Drake, Carr, Crixus, or Denrick, you're playing him wrong. There's simply no reason these characters should land a hit on Mimring. Mimring has a range of 8, a move of 6 and he flys. He can dance all over the map and never let one of these guys get close. If you're attacking one of these figures from less than 6 spaces away (their threat range), you are officially setting yourself up to lose Mimring. Your better off not attacking and instead moving into a position to attack later. Mimring should NEVER fall to the above characters when played correctly.

Mimring can fall to ranged figures, but even that should be fairly difficult. Syvarris is the only figure in the entire game outside of DED who matches Mimring's threat range, (and whether you consider DED a threat with his 1 attack is fairly questionable) and even then he can't fly to get height as quickly. Mimring should always land the first blow and ideally, you should try to make sure you have height while your at it (for the Defense and to ensure your target doesn't get an attack/defense bonus). He can beat Syvarris 1 on 1 this way, and he's also pretty well set to take on the Nakitas, as his Fire Line easily pierces the smoke.

Simply put, Mimring is not a figure who wins by rolling the most dice. He's a figure who wins by being one of the most mobile and longest ranged units in the game. If you're not often getting 150 points out of Mimring, its because you're simply not playing him correctly, simple as that. He's not invincible. A smart opponent can occassionally trap or bait him and come out ahead, and he will get worn down by ranged attacks, but he's definitely worth every point on his card. You simply need to be aware that his Defense isn't high enough to save him most of the time, and rely on his Movement and Range instead. Keep him out of harms way, and he can be an absolute terror. Rush in hoping to hit a nice line of foes, and you'll probably be down 150 points.
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Riptide is surprisingly tart
I have taken Mimring down with venoc vipers, yes they had the scout bonus from Mittens, and yes I succesfully rolled for frenzy twice to do it, but it was done. I had 2 order markers on them just to make sure that I would be able to surround mimring. It worked beautifully. So that is 150 points versus 40 and the 40 came out on top.

I'd say that yes, maybe for a dragon, his defense is low.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units