Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
The Importance of HeroScape

In 1931, the mathematician Kurt Godel proved his postulate that any system sufficiently complex to be interesting or useful cannot be proved from it’s own postulates. What that means is deep, but the light version for HeroScape is this: Any game interesting enough to keep being played will always have nuances (read “rules questions”) that have not been previously solved.

That leads me to the assertion (if not conclusion) that playing HeroScape is an art as well as a science. There is a finesse to the game. There are things (beyond the mere rolling of the dice, which, in terms of probability, can always be exactly calculated) that are always new in the game, even beyond the human dynamics.

This is not to say that the “human dynamics” are not important or interesting; they are. The psychology of HeroScape competition, like that of Chess, Bridge, or even Checkers, is in and of itself interesting. There is a life’s worth of study of opponents and their various proclivities, tendencies, and foibles. (I do love that word “foibles.” It always sounds, vaguely dirty to me.) But there is more to HeroScape than just the psychology that is so important (and central, in fact) in Rock-Paper-Scissors.

HeroScape is a “complex system.” That’s a technical term. The more interesting statement is, “HeroScape is an art.” Our game may be a complex system, a chaos system, a self-actuating system. It behaves on its own, even without the human (and very complex) input. This game plays itself!

Of course, that is not literally true. But HeroScape, because of the infinite variability of the maps, the great variety of armies (both of size and composition and other limitations, such as “one General armies” or “no range armies”), and the complexity of the rules is such a complex system that it has the characteristics of a complex, self-evolving, intelligence generating system. This is a self-interactive system and we have been sucked into it, not so much as players or controllers, but as just another game component.

This means two things: First, HeroScape will never get old. Even if new units (may heaven forbid) ceased today, the game would continue to be new and to evolve, not in it’s written rules, but in the living play of the game. And, second, HeroScape, if let loose, like an Andromeda virus, will take over the whole world. I’m waiting for that to happen. It’s going to be fun. And the game will go on and on.

Of course, I may have gotten this all wrong.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:42 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Importance of HeroScape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
This means two things: First, HeroScape will never get old. Even if new units (may heaven forbid) ceased today, the game would continue to be new and to evolve, not in it’s written rules, but in the living play of the game. And, second, HeroScape, if let loose, like an Andromeda virus, will take over the whole world. I’m waiting for that to happen. It’s going to be fun. And the game will go on and on.

I like this world you dream of Rev. What color is the sky in that world?

Old May 12th, 2011, 05:25 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Sill applicable almost 4 years after the fact. Even with no new units, I imagine the metagame will evolve for at least a few years as people discover new nuances to the game.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Quote:

Sparkly or solid blue?

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Quote:

Sparkly or solid blue?
I was thinking it was clouded up in ash from Hot Lava Death. Revdyer sux!
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:14 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Rev. How much free time do you have?

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelord
Rev. How much free time do you have?
I'm old. I have lots of free time. Almost every Sunday afternoon free, in fact. I use it to look at the sparkley blue sky.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:05 PM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
This means two things: First, HeroScape will never get old. Even if new units (may heaven forbid) ceased today, the game would continue to be new and to evolve, not in it’s written rules, but in the living play of the game.
Agreed

Quote:
And, second, HeroScape, if let loose, like an Andromeda virus, will take over the whole world. I’m waiting for that to happen. It’s going to be fun. And the game will go on and on.
Can you say "Gotta catch (or at least, get) 'em all"
Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
I want as much free time as you.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Good post Rev!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelord
I want as much free time as you.
Taelord... shut up
Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM

Thanks, truth.

I guess what I was really trying to say is that the complexity and variety of HeroScape, with so few rules and so simple play mechanics and even with only 102 different units at this point, is simply amazing.

That last part about taking over the world was just silly...but that's me too.

Of course, I was hoping to generate some discussion about the reiterative and fractal nature of HeroScape maps, but that seems to be asking too much.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Thanks, truth.

I guess what I was really trying to say is that the complexity and variety of HeroScape, with so few rules and so simple play mechanics and even with only 102 different units at this point, is simply amazing.

That last part about taking over the world was just silly...but that's me too.
I agree with you Rev. The game has me captivated. C'mon wave 7 SOTM and Marvel!!

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion