Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 28th, 2011, 01:22 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Stormy Weather! Army Discussion

Well met!

The Gang of Four gathers again on 5/13, a mere week before we are all attending Dad's My Time To Shine. Stormy Weather! (link below) uses the same point total (480) and unit restrictions (no units Power Ranked above a "B"), but with enough additional wrinkles, including 14-space Lifeboats as Start Zones, that I gave it its own thread, as opposed to lumping it into the 480 point army thread.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1758

Ranged units that are not "supernatural" are handicapped by the wind (Evasive 2 - +2 Defense to all non-adjacent attacks), as are flyers (no flying). "Supernatural" units are: all the Elf wizards, Sonlen, Estivara, Sharwin, Tul-Bak-Ra, Ana, and the Mindflayer. Also "Controllers" (Kee-Mo-Shi, Mindflayer and Werewolf Lord), add 2 to their 20-sided die rolls. A "Captain" (a medium/small, single spaced unit) gives a "Death Bonus" to all friendly units when killed by enemy action, and an immediate loss if "Controlled" at any point in the game. Also, each of the 3 Treasure glyphs may only be picked up by a player's hero after its respective Kyntela has been "Controlled". Taeblewalker said, "Yeeesh! I got a headache just reading it!" Armies anyone?

Last edited by kolakoski; May 3rd, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old April 28th, 2011, 04:01 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Stormy Weather! Army Discussion

Well met!

300 Mindflayer x 3
100 Captain Ornak
80 Blades x 2
480, 12 spaces

is nasty, but a bit one dimentional for my taste. Also, I own only 2 MMs.

160 WoB x 2
140 Werewolf Lord
100 Captain Mindflayer
80 Estivara
480, 10 spaces

would be a little more fun.

in any event, it's hard to justify not taking at least one Mindflayer in this format.

Sonlen is a beast here, but what to take with him . . .

160 Captain Sonlen
120 Raelin SotM
100 WoA x 2
100 Mindflayer
480, 11 spaces

Last edited by kolakoski; April 29th, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:41 AM

Well met!

The Mindflayer is so good, I've got to find a way around him . . .

130 Kee-Mo-Shi
110 NotNW
100 Iron Golem
80 Captain Estivara
60 Izumi
480, 10 spaces

160 WoB x 2
140 Werewolf Lord
100 Iron Golem
80 Captain Estivara
480, 11 spaces

or sub in Morsbane for the Iron Golem, or, more brutally simple

240 WoB x 3
140 WWL
100 Captain Morsbane
480, 12 spaces

Last edited by kolakoski; April 29th, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Well met!

I'm surprised at the lack of attention this scenario is getting. Ah well, continuing . . .

I'm thinking the Tagawa Samurai might be good . . .

160 Captain Sonlen
140 Werewolf Lord
120 Tagawa Samurai
60 Izumi
480, 7 spaces
Old May 1st, 2011, 05:33 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

I'm surprised at the lack of attention this scenario is getting. Ah well, continuing . . .

Um, yeah. Considering you are the only one who has posted armies (or any other relevant comments) so far on this thread, maybe there isnt a whole lot of interest.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:45 PM

Well met!

As Pounce is a ranged attack, WoB no longer look so good. Back to the drawing board. Torn again, only between . . .

Spoiler below as we're getting down to it!

Spoiler Alert!

Any thoughts?

Last edited by kolakoski; May 3rd, 2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:05 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

If it were me I would just bring several really fun units that don't see much play otherwise:

Werewolf Lord
Mindflayer
Kee-Mo-Shi
Ninjas

I think that adds up correctly. Crazy scenario, hope it leads to a lot of fun. It also looks like units may be switching hands often.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

KeeMoShi (Captain) 130
Sonlen 160
2xMarrden Hounds 180
470/14

~Aldin, adjacently

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:42 AM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
Quote:

Um, yeah. Considering you are the only one who has posted armies (or any other relevant comments) so far on this thread, maybe there isnt a whole lot of interest.
I guess not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
If it were me I would just bring several really fun units that don't see much play otherwise:

Werewolf Lord
Mindflayer
Kee-Mo-Shi
Ninjas

I think that adds up correctly. Crazy scenario, hope it leads to a lot of fun. It also looks like units may be switching hands often.
I like the Ninjas, too, but I worry about what happens if, as may be likely, no one gets the Chest of in 10 rounds. Then, with cumulative, partial scoring, your army would be a good target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
KeeMoShi (Captain) 130
Sonlen 160
2xMarrden Hounds 180
470/14

~Aldin, adjacently
Why do you choose Kee-Mo-Shi as your Captain, as opposed to Sonlen?
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
KeeMoShi (Captain) 130
Sonlen 160
2xMarrden Hounds 180
470/14

~Aldin, adjacently
She's a lot more fragile, and I think as an opponent facing that army I would hesitate to give Sonlen and Marrden Hounds +1 Atk/Def if I didn't have a lot of respect for what KeeMoShi could otherwise accomplish. Of the controllers, I think KeeMoShi is probably the least respected - even though I think she can do well in this format. Also, I want the ability to be aggressive with Sonlen - without needing to worry about using him to attack my opponent's controllers (especially since I suspect there will be a lot of Werewolf Lords and MFMs where I get control again after a turn).

~Aldin, metagamingly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM

Therion knows what's in an order marker Therion knows what's in an order marker

First, a couple of clarifications:

1. Is Marvel allowed? 'Cause if so, then this may be a chance for Doctor Doom to really shine.

2. When you say nothing above a B, does that include a B+? Ne-Gok-Sa is a B+.

From the looks of things, the Mind Flayer benefits most from these rules.

With these rules, if your captain is destroyed, then all of your other units gain combat bonuses; this means that the normally fragile Mind Flayer will be attacked less. And his attack isn't penalized by the winds, meaning that you can keep the close-range control units away.

Also, other mind flayers can't use Enslave on him, greatly reducing the chances of his being captured.

Other useful choices for your captain are low-life heroes like Otonashi, who can't be taken with Moon Frenzy. Also, she's easy to kill, meaning that it's easy to get the combat bonuses on all of your units.

If the Captain is chosen after the other armies are seen, then it may be useful to have a low-life hero if a large number of Werewolf Lords are present, and if a large number of Mind Flayers are in the other armies, then choose the Mind Flayer as your captain.

Patience Drain
After loading and before posting, roll the twenty-sided die.
On a 1, Therion makes a long and/or irritating post.
On a 2-15, Therion may not post this turn.
On a 16+, post normally.
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:43 PM

well met!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
KeeMoShi (Captain) 130
Sonlen 160
2xMarrden Hounds 180
470/14

~Aldin, adjacently
She's a lot more fragile, and I think as an opponent facing that army I would hesitate to give Sonlen and Marrden Hounds +1 Atk/Def if I didn't have a lot of respect for what KeeMoShi could otherwise accomplish. Of the controllers, I think KeeMoShi is probably the least respected - even though I think she can do well in this format. Also, I want the ability to be aggressive with Sonlen - without needing to worry about using him to attack my opponent's controllers (especially since I suspect there will be a lot of Werewolf Lords and MFMs where I get control again after a turn).

~Aldin, metagamingly
I asked because my thinking was that Sonlen is fragile and does his thing at range, so he is more easily screened from contact with Controllers. And I would want Kee-Mo-Shi to be free to mix and mingle with the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion View Post
First, a couple of clarifications:

1. Is Marvel allowed? 'Cause if so, then this may be a chance for Doctor Doom to really shine.

2. When you say nothing above a B, does that include a B+? Ne-Gok-Sa is a B+.

From the looks of things, the Mind Flayer benefits most from these rules.

With these rules, if your captain is destroyed, then all of your other units gain combat bonuses; this means that the normally fragile Mind Flayer will be attacked less. And his attack isn't penalized by the winds, meaning that you can keep the close-range control units away.

Also, other mind flayers can't use Enslave on him, greatly reducing the chances of his being captured.

Other useful choices for your captain are low-life heroes like Otonashi, who can't be taken with Moon Frenzy. Also, she's easy to kill, meaning that it's easy to get the combat bonuses on all of your units.

If the Captain is chosen after the other armies are seen, then it may be useful to have a low-life hero if a large number of Werewolf Lords are present, and if a large number of Mind Flayers are in the other armies, then choose the Mind Flayer as your captain.
No Marvel. No B+. And you are right about the Mindflayer. I commented on it earlier, to the effect that I was afraid he was too good in this scenario. I clarified the rules about Captains to have them chosen before setup. It never occurred to me that an army might be built with the idea of choosing from among more than one unit at the last minute. It's sort of counter-intuitive, but thanks for pointing it out.

Note some changes: Pounce has been (arbitrarily) exempted from being affected by Evasive 2. All Rock will be replaced by Dungeon, and there will be a lot of Shadow added. We may also add some jungle.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion