Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old October 28th, 2015, 12:26 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Favourite Competitive army's

Well met!

Roman/Warlord/Soldier armies have been among my faves since I began playing. The 10th Reg. for range, and the Romans for the great variety of Warlords available - including the latest, the Azurite Warlord.
Old October 28th, 2015, 12:58 PM

The Silver King is surprisingly tart

I haven't played competitively yet, and me and my younger brother/niece whom I most often play with usually play draft mode, but the times we have done pre-made armies, I like to use a hybrid Viper army. 4 squads of Venocs, 1 Armoc, good ole Mittens, the Zettian Guards, and Syvarris.

I usually start by positioning Syvarris and the guards on some high ground, to be my last resort team. Moving them first also usually brings my enemy closer to me in the mean time. Then I send out wave after wave of Venocs as shock troopers, usually getting at least 3 frenzy rolls per game. After my enemy's army has been softened up, I send the Armocs and Mittens to beat them down some more. Depending on the outcome I either send Syvarris to finish the job, or if the D20 has been bad to me, I separate him and the Guards to different high grounds so they don't end up dying altogether to some group-killing special attacks and fight to the last man.
Old October 28th, 2015, 05:43 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

Roman/Warlord/Soldier armies have been among my faves since I began playing. The 10th Reg. for range, and the Romans for the great variety of Warlords available - including the latest, the Azurite Warlord.
I'm with kolakoski. I love lots of army builds for competitive play, but Marcus-led Legionnaires with some 10th Regiment and another warlord is hands-down my favorite to play with.

Honorable mentions go to Viper swarms, Zombie hordes, and the occasional Cyprien + Phantom Knights with a ranged special attacker.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old October 30th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

When it comes to competitive I like to play squads who involves A LOT of decisions to take per turn. My favorites and the ones I got the most success with are the Trons. Certainly not the funniest squads (especially to play aginst lol) but they involve a lot of decisions to take and they are strong, it's a combo which usually pays off when it comes to wins games.
Other common squads I had success with are Greenscales, Cathars Spearmen and Deathreavers.

I also absolutely love Raelin, it's a hero that is only very strong if very well played.
Some games play Raelin well is easy, but some games it's requires a lot of skill and I love Raelin in those games, either she's in my side or against me.
I also love Krav Maga for the same reason, although it's to a lesser extent with them. They were some games where I destroyed an incredile (~350) amount of point with the Kravs only because I played the whole game in order to get that incredible lategame with the Kravs. They can also be played early game or mid game, it's an incredibly versatile squad.

But I overall I am comfortable using any army as long as it's well constructed and don't pair up against a very bad machup. When we play Bring 2 (each player brings 2 premade armies, then choose what to play by picing into the pool of 4 armies) I have a way better winrate using my opponent's armies than mine.

Old October 30th, 2015, 03:41 PM

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Well met!

I played a lot of those armies and came to the conclusion that playing both Romans and 10th Reg in the same army is not good. The added versatility is not worth the added the OM trickiness at all.
Basically having a screen for the 10th Reg kinda waste one of their power, they're strong enough to not need a screen. You better play something which is good against range with 10th reg, or play them with Raelin to protect them more against range. Romans help them more against melee which is an overkill.
About Marcus, the 6-move is really great because it helps them a lot against range, but as the +1 attack aura is not usable without Romans (on most maps), and this aura is also almost useless against range, paying 100 points just for the +1 move is very expensive.

And (kinda unfortunately) when you look for the strongest army, having only one common squad will be the right choice 95% of the time.

Old October 30th, 2015, 04:49 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post

I played a lot of those armies and came to the conclusion that playing both Romans and 10th Reg in the same army is not good. The added versatility is not worth the added the OM trickiness at all.

In a pure Power game, agreed. With larger point values, and/or "casual" play, you can afford 2-3 squads of 10th and a few interesting Warlords with 2-3 squads of Romans, and/or Raelin.

Basically having a screen for the 10th Reg kinda waste one of their power, they're strong enough to not need a screen. You better play something which is good against range with 10th reg, or play them with Raelin to protect them more against range. Romans help them more against melee which is an overkill.

It depends. They can use a screen versus screens. Brutes/Goblins can be a problem. As can Deathreavers.

About Marcus, the 6-move is really great because it helps them a lot against range, but as the +1 attack aura is not usable without Romans (on most maps), and this aura is also almost useless against range, paying 100 points just for the +1 move is very expensive.

Marcus also gives +1 to Attack to adjacent 10th (Soldiers), so setting up a pod of 10th with him makes sense.

And (kinda unfortunately) when you look for the strongest army, having only one common squad will be the right choice 95% of the time.

But not the most fun.
Playing mostly 10th + Marcus, or mostly Romans + Marcus + various Warlords, works for me.

Old October 31st, 2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:

It depends. They can use a screen versus screens. Brutes/Goblins can be a problem. As can Deathreavers.
I would prefer 100% 10th reg against Brutes, Goblins or Deathreavers. There is not a huge difference between full 10th reg or mix in this machup tho.

Quote:
Quote:

Marcus also gives +1 to Attack to adjacent 10th (Soldiers), so setting up a pod of 10th with him makes sense.
Setting up a pod will be impossible on most maps except if you're playing against full melee.

Old October 31st, 2015, 10:30 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Anything and everything. I tend to steer away from the really top level stuff (Q9, Stingers, Raelin, 4th) more often than not because I already know those units are good. I want to see how I can do with other units. You will very rarely see me play the same thing twice, too. There is a ton of variety to Heroscape, especially with VC in the mix.

That said, my favorite types of armies to build and play are probably the solid melee bonding types. Romans + Warlords, Death Chasers, Dreadguls, Knights + Champions; mostly melee, but usually with a ranged support piece.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 31st, 2015, 10:37 AM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Anything and everything. I tend to steer away from the really top level stuff (Q9, Stingers, Raelin, 4th) more often than not because I already know those units are good. I want to see how I can do with other units. You will very rarely see me play the same thing twice, too. There is a ton of variety to Heroscape, especially with VC in the mix.

That said, my favorite types of armies to build and play are probably the solid melee bonding types. Romans + Warlords, Death Chasers, Dreadguls, Knights + Champions; mostly melee, but usually with a ranged support piece.
I'm in 100% agreement with you. Melee bonding squads are my favorite. My favorite armies tend to lack range, so sometimes I tweak them to make them more competitive. (I like the Krav a lot.)

Capuans are another favorite.

If you're not rolling for Stinger Drain, you're not living.
Old October 31st, 2015, 02:38 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would prefer 100% 10th reg against Brutes, Goblins or Deathreavers. There is not a huge difference between full 10th reg or mix in this machup tho.

Quote:
Quote:

Setting up a pod will be impossible on most maps except if you're playing against full melee.
That's what the free bonding turn granted by the Romans is for. You send your Legionnaires forward with another warlord, but Marcus is only bonded with in order to get him in the middle of a bunch of redcoats.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old November 3rd, 2015, 01:08 AM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

Lately I've actually been having quite a bit of success and fun with one 440 point army which consists of-

Raelin(RotV) (80)
Seige (120)
Warforged Soldiers(x3) (240)
(440 Points)

I'm looking for a good 60 point unit to help back up this melee army, so if you have a suggestion I would love to hear I'm considering Zetacron, but I'm not sure.

H E R O S C A P E
Old November 3rd, 2015, 01:17 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Options

With VC I recommend Elaria the Pale. Without it, I'd probably go Tarns + Isamu or Theracus + Marcu.

~Dysole, finding the Tarns really underrated

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion