Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old October 12th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

Currently attempting a second time Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. The book was misplaced for over a year until my wife discovered it this summer while clearing our room for a paint job.

Currently at chapter VII with the kid regaining his freedom from the Mexicans and he's re-encountered The Judge. Several incredible passages in this book.
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:14 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Re-reading Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind. It's noticeably sloppier the second time through, but I still love how he twists the 'birth of a hero' development.

However, I'm re-reading that very slowly, as I'm in the midst of Hobbes' Leviathan, Newton's Principia, and about to begin Locke's Second Treatise of Government. School is a killer.
Old October 16th, 2016, 03:59 PM

CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker

Currently halfway through Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn (Part 2 of the Thrawn Trilogy), the man is a literary genius, he captures the feel of the Star Wars universe incredibly he jumps around a lot, yet everything flows nicely. He can change your perspective on the story without you noticing.

I read Heir to the Empire (Part 1) a long time ago and never got around to the rest of the series, I was recently reminded of the series and decided to finish.

-------------------------
Join our HeroScape discord! https://discord.gg/DXRaqvn
Talk about everything heroscape, or just hang out!
Old October 23rd, 2016, 01:15 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

I just finished "The Crippled God" by Steven Erikson. It was the last book in "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. A ten book series that I have been reading for years. It was very good.

It's weird but I'm feeling a little sad right now that it's over. I'm going to miss my time in that world, despite it being dark and gritty. As corny as it sounds I'm going to miss hanging out with those rough marines and heavies, those sappers and sergeants. It's a damned good story teller that can make you feel that emotionally attached to the characters.

I have to sit back for a while now and try to digest that conclusion, and all that was left unsaid.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:13 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I haven't read a Star Wars book since the novelization of the first movie, let alone paid the hardcover price for a novel (well, I got a discount). Ahsoka by E. K. Johnston takes Snips fron being a refugee from the prequel trilogy and recent animations into the early Imperial period, when she finds a new purpose and gets her groove back. Very nice!
Old November 8th, 2016, 06:49 PM

CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJtheMighty View Post
Currently halfway through Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn (Part 2 of the Thrawn Trilogy), the man is a literary genius, he captures the feel of the Star Wars universe incredibly he jumps around a lot, yet everything flows nicely. He can change your perspective on the story without you noticing.

I read Heir to the Empire (Part 1) a long time ago and never got around to the rest of the series, I was recently reminded of the series and decided to finish.
Literally just finished reading The Last Command (Part 3), and I won't spoil anything, but the end is incredibly epic, if I had to choose 2 words to describe the ending, they would be epic, and lacking. Epic in the sense that it was very epic, the villains powers were interesting, and epic. Lacking in that another villain goes down almost too easily, I can't see him going down any other way, but it still felt too easy, too quick. Lacking in another way that it doesn't seem to clean up what happens to the heroes after the epic finish.

-------------------------
Join our HeroScape discord! https://discord.gg/DXRaqvn
Talk about everything heroscape, or just hang out!
Old November 20th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Decided yesterday to just push through the final three or four chapters of Blood Meridian.
The book is an amazing read. The descriptions McCarthy provides of the landscape and the endless journeying/escaping the characters make through it are evocative and just as numerous.

The story was more fantastical than I imagined it would be with the Judge seemingly levitating coins around a fire, desert fauna huddled about a lightning struck tree in the middle of the night, and the doubtful durability of wounded characters in the harsh landscape.

There is so much to analyze and study with the themes and situations I find myself scouring Reddit discussions, Goodreads reviews, YT videos and chapter summary & analysis.

I'm very satisfied to have completed this book. Where do I go from here?
I may have to revisit Moby Dick.

Any recommendations?
Old November 20th, 2016, 06:17 PM

misterdoctor Woo who?

I just finished Gore Vidal's BURR. I wanted to get some perspective on controversial elections of the American past, and a historical novel about the VP who famously shot one of the founding fathers in a duel seemed like a good choice. It turned out to be pretty fantastic; Burr lived to a remarkable age for the period -- outliving all his rivals -- and he was involved in many more momentous events besides that famous duel with Hamilton. I learned many things I did not know about the War of Independence and the bitterly contested election of 1800; and the complex portrait of Jefferson that Vidal (as Burr) paints has forever altered my feelings about the third president.

Now I'm reading some horror stories by Thomas Ligotti -- and am not sure if I'm as impressed as I'm supposed to be, but I'm giving it the college try -- in between taking stabs at Alan Moore's mammoth novel JERUSALEM. (I'm about a third of the way through, and it's sometimes a struggle ... but not an unrewarding one, so far.)

Last edited by misterdoctor; November 20th, 2016 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typos
Old December 22nd, 2016, 01:32 AM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm a big Douglas Adams fan, and I recently got a book not by him that the Washington Post describes the author of as "Equal parts Douglas Adams, J. K. Rowling, and Shel Silverstein..."

The author in question is Walter Moers, and the book is Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures. Wow is it fun. Technically it is the third in his Zamonia books, so I'm sure I'll get the first one after this. Unfortunately it looks like the second one hasn't been translated to English yet, maybe I'll learn German... Or better yet Zamonian, seeing as Moers really just translated them in the first place.

If you want to read a "work if monumental silliness", I would strongly recommend this to you. It's wery wundibar.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old February 11th, 2017, 02:08 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
A Song of Dragons and Harpers

Well, being sick yesterday I decided to do some reading. I'd recently acquired my two favorite books of the Pern series from a local bookstore (Dragonsong and Dragonsinger) and decided to read those over the several Discworld novels. I hadn't read the books since I was in my teens and they are somehow so much better than when I read them then (similar thing happened with the first couple of books in the Wrinkle in Time series). Sick day well spent.

~Dysole, who for some reason always found things like the harpers far more interesting than the dragonriders
Old February 11th, 2017, 06:56 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just got the two volume unabridged Moss Roberts translation of the Chinese Iliad, (Romance of the) Three Kingdoms. Having read the one volume abridged version years ago, I'm also watching the 2010 Chinese TV series--a mere 65 one hour episodes on youtube!

This is partly in anticipation of getting the board game Three Kingdoms Redux. See my thread Chinese Board Games on Other Board Games.
Old February 11th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Keeping with the reread theme, I'm rereading Dune. It's crazy to think that the only publisher who would touch it the first time around was Chilton.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books