Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old March 3rd, 2017, 12:22 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Nintendo Switch

Nice!

I'm torn on if I'll be getting the switch right away or not. I probably will wind up getting it by the time the holidays come around and the next Mario game with it. But should I wait to play Zelda then or just get it now for Wii U?

Ah I dunno. Part of me still wants to be late to the party and get a PS4 and go through some of the titles on that that I'd be interested in too, but I just don't know.

Most of my gaming these days is board games too, so not even sure I should get a new console. As is, I'm hoping those that are grabbing switches and the new zelda are having a great time! It looks like great fun.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old March 4th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Grabbed my Switch yesterday after work and played a few hours of Breath of the Wild... I'm really not even a big fan of open world games, but it's just incredibly well-designed, with responsive gameplay and lots of systems to play with. I have a horse and we're friends.

The framerate issues definitely hurt it a bit, and I'm not sure if it's worth $350+ if you're on the fence, but as someone that would be getting the Switch sometime this year either way, I have no regrets.
Old March 6th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
I have a horse and we're friends.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Last edited by Tornado; March 6th, 2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old March 6th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

So I stole three or four hours over the weekend and have to say that I am absolutely satisfied with the new Zelda. It has succeeded in that rare circumstance where the hype is overwhelming and yet it still manages to astound me. Everything feels good from climbing trees to looking for secrets to cliff diving into water to setting dry grass on fire to dropping a large metal plate onto the head of a mechanical spider to shooting arrows from stealth at Moblin guardposts. It looks great, sounds incredible, and is what I'm looking forward to doing in my off-moments.

I haven't played much remotely. The game looks good on the small screen and runs great, but I'm still so amazed by the shiny newness of it that I want to experience it as much as possible on the big screen.

From a Switch perspective, maybe the minor thing that makes me happiest about the system is that everything is ready so fast. Computer or PS4, if I get home and want to play a game on either it will be several minutes of loading the system and then loading the game before I can play. With the Switch, I think it takes about 20 seconds to turn on the TV, turn on the Switch, load Zelda and start playing. Ahhhhhhhh...

Trying to decide if I want the racing game to... *ahem* switch things up. For now, I'm only wanting to play Zelda, but as I mentioned - I'm a bit reluctant to small screen it but think small screening a racing game might be fun.

~Aldin, 10/10 would drop a large metal plate on a mechanical spider's head again

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Two month later update. My daughter and I are both well over a hundred hours into Zelda. She has beaten the game and I'm in the run up to the final boss with probably only an hour or two before the end.

What a ride.

Very high on the list of best games I've played. Can't quite decide what to grab next. Shovel Knight comes highly recommended, and I Am Setsuna is intriguing, but I've never played a Mario Kart game and think that maybe I should.

~Aldin, circling back around

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 4th, 2017, 12:12 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

My boyfriend and I picked up a switch on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launch day along with Zelda and the aforementioned Mario Kart game.

Been loving it all. The switch is a cool piece of hardware. We've mostly kept ours in the dock and been using it as a typical console, but the option to take it as a handheld is neat. The controllers and nice and work well.

Zelda is incredible. I'm just a few hours in but it's incredibly interesting. I can't wait to play more. But as Aldin stated, it seems to be one of those very rare games that actually satisfies the hype. I've been waiting quite awhile for it (was hoping it would come out years ago for the Wii U but alas) but it is worth the wait if it took them this long to make it this excellent. I can't wait to play more and explore that world.

Cory and I have both been longtime fans of the Mario Kart series and had played plenty of MK8 on the Wii U. While this deluxe version didn't change much, what it did change and update was all for the better. They've made the game even better and I feel pretty safe in stating that MK8 Deluxe is the best entry in the series. It's just incredibly good.

Aldin, I don't really know your gaming preferences or what your daughter likes, but I personally think you won't be dissapointed in giving it a try. It's a great package with so many tracks and racing modes, tons of characters and kart options, and finally the online is also quite good and even allows 2 players from the same machine online at once which Cory and I really appreciate. The battle mode is the biggest improvement as they figured out the batle mode they offered in MK8 was garbage and this deluxe version completely fixes that by making one of the best battle modes in all of Mario Kart. (Although I'm still partial to the N64's simple battle mode, but I'll readily admit nostalgia of those summer afternoons gaming with my dad and sister are probably a heavy reason why). Overall there is just so much in that game from the variety of tracks to modes that are incredibly polished and well done. I've been having of ton of fun playing them.

In general there are few games on most consoles that have me coming back years later to play again. The N64 has Star Fox, Mario Kart, Zelda Ocarina of Time. My PS2 has the Ratchet and Clank series. The gamecube has nothing really, except possibly Super Smash Melee if I have the friends around. Anyhow the point is most of my old consoles only have a few games I really consider just about perfect and forsee myself playing or replaying years down the road. I'm fairly confident the Switch has already provided 2 titles that will standout to me. That alone is well worth the price to me.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old May 4th, 2017, 01:13 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
but I've never played a Mario Kart game and think that maybe I should.
Yes, yes you should.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old June 14th, 2017, 01:55 AM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Metroid Prime 4
Super Mario Odyssey
Yoshi
Kirby
Mario/Rabbids XCOM game
Fire Emblem Warriors
Splatoon 2
ARMS
Mario Kart 8
Pokken
New main Pokemon RPG
Skyrim
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Rocket League (with PC/Xbox cross play)
Minecraft (with PC/Xbox/mobile? cross play)

This is shaping up to be quite the system. Absolutely the best 'gaming tablet' a parent could possibly get a kid right now.
I'm impressed. Still not sure when I'll end up buying one.
Been playing Hyrule Warriors, just got Splatoon today, and have an otherwise pretty big backlog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old June 14th, 2017, 06:32 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Metroid Prime 4
Super Mario Odyssey
Yoshi
Kirby
Mario/Rabbids XCOM game
Fire Emblem Warriors
Splatoon 2
ARMS
Mario Kart 8
Pokken
New main Pokemon RPG
Skyrim
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Rocket League (with PC/Xbox cross play)
Minecraft (with PC/Xbox/mobile? cross play)

This is shaping up to be quite the system. Absolutely the best 'gaming tablet' a parent could possibly get a kid right now.
I'm impressed. Still not sure when I'll end up buying one.
Been playing Hyrule Warriors, just got Splatoon today, and have an otherwise pretty big backlog.
Metroid Prime 4 That is awesome news! They acted like they weren't going to do any more Prime games.

I still don't have a Switch either. I think it will likely be closer to Christmas before I get one. They are also still hard to find I think.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:22 AM

I think that I am finally going to get that Switch. It will be a Christmas present for my 7 year old. He will be getting Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2 to start with. Then Super Mario Odyssey and Arms are likely to be the next purchases.

I was just curious to see if all you Switch owners are still happy with the system and the games? Are you still glad that you bought it? Has some of the wrinkles with the system been ironed out? Are there any must-have games other than those that I already mentioned?

Old November 16th, 2017, 01:56 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Despite the lack of main titles so far, the Switch has a solid line-up of games already released. There are also a fair amount of main titles at least rumored if not already being developed for 2018. For myself, I play my Switch as regularly as I'm able to. I've spent about 190 hours playing Breath of the Wild so far. A majority of that has been in normal mode, and I'm now working on playing through master mode. Not to mention the Champion's Ballad DLC is coming out before the end of the year. Mario Kart 8 is really fun. Vibrant graphics, the unlockables are earned and a steady pace, and the battle mode is, in my opinion, the best of the series to date. Super Mario Odyssey is fun and kept my attention for a few days. I (regrettably) went through the story too quick, but in the same fashion as Breath of the Wild, there is plenty to do outside of the main story. Minecraft is available on the eShop. This is the first time I've played it, and it's a relaxing game I can boot up when I need a break from the others. Also, I'll be getting Skyrim for the Switch when it's released at the end of this week.

As far as the system goes, the eShop seems to work well. My complaint (along with everyone else) is the lack of virtual console. Hopefully Nintendo will release that soon. Otherwise I haven't noticed any bugs/glitches/hiccups that stand out. The screenshot/video record feature is nice to have. The JoyCons work well, but feel cramped when using just one of them during multiplayer games. I ended up buying a second set of JoyCons last summer, which turned out to be much easier to sync up than the Wiimotes were with the Wii. Booting up games is lightning quick compared to other systems - I can come home and be playing Zelda within about 30 seconds after sitting down. And Finally, the portability is a big plus for me. The battery feels a bit short when on the go, but there aren't any issues that I've noticed when changing to/from the dock.

TL;DR - The Switch has a strong start with more strength in the shoot for 2018. I recommend it.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old November 16th, 2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Despite the lack of main titles so far, the Switch has a solid line-up of games already released. There are also a fair amount of main titles at least rumored if not already being developed for 2018. For myself, I play my Switch as regularly as I'm able to. I've spent about 190 hours playing Breath of the Wild so far. A majority of that has been in normal mode, and I'm now working on playing through master mode. Not to mention the Champion's Ballad DLC is coming out before the end of the year. Mario Kart 8 is really fun. Vibrant graphics, the unlockables are earned and a steady pace, and the battle mode is, in my opinion, the best of the series to date. Super Mario Odyssey is fun and kept my attention for a few days. I (regrettably) went through the story too quick, but in the same fashion as Breath of the Wild, there is plenty to do outside of the main story. Minecraft is available on the eShop. This is the first time I've played it, and it's a relaxing game I can boot up when I need a break from the others. Also, I'll be getting Skyrim for the Switch when it's released at the end of this week.

As far as the system goes, the eShop seems to work well. My complaint (along with everyone else) is the lack of virtual console. Hopefully Nintendo will release that soon. Otherwise I haven't noticed any bugs/glitches/hiccups that stand out. The screenshot/video record feature is nice to have. The JoyCons work well, but feel cramped when using just one of them during multiplayer games. I ended up buying a second set of JoyCons last summer, which turned out to be much easier to sync up than the Wiimotes were with the Wii. Booting up games is lightning quick compared to other systems - I can come home and be playing Zelda within about 30 seconds after sitting down. And Finally, the portability is a big plus for me. The battery feels a bit short when on the go, but there aren't any issues that I've noticed when changing to/from the dock.

TL;DR - The Switch has a strong start with more strength in the shoot for 2018. I recommend it.
Thank you @scaper 94 for your thoughts. I am looking very forward to trying it out. It is rather strange that there is still no virtual console.

And they better be working on a new Smash Bros

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games