Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old August 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
RIP John Hughes

American film director John Hughes has died at age 59 of a heart attack while taking a morning walk during a trip to New York City to visit family.
Hughes was responsible for some of the most successful comedy films of the 1980s and 1990s, including 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', 'Weird Science', 'The Breakfast Club', 'National Lampoon's Vacation', 'Sixteen Candles', 'Pretty in Pink,' 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles,' and 'Home Alone 1 & 2.'

Hughes had gotten his start as a writer for National Lampoon magazine. Children of the 1980s flocked to his teen trilogy made up of 'Sixteen Candles,' 'The Breakfast Club' and 'Weird Science' which helped to define a generation and make stars out of Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson and Anthony Michael Hall.

Hughes' imprint was felt on several of his writing efforts too, ranging from 'Pretty in Pink' to 'Some Kind of Wonderful' as well as 'National Lampoon's Vacation' and the 'European' and 'Christmas' sequels

Hughes had a gift for discovering talent. Other than Ringwald, stars like Robert Downey Jr., Bill Paxton, Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer had major career breaks courtesy of Hughes productions. His 1986 teen classic 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off,' which he wrote and directed, helped turn Matthew Broderick into a leading man.

In the later years of his Hollywood career, Hughes turned towards more adult and family films, including his holiday classic 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' and 'Uncle Buck,' both starring the late John Candy.

A spokesperson for Hughes confirmed the news. Variety reports that over the last decade, Hughes had stepped away from show business to spend time with his family, maintain a functioning farm in Illinois and support independent arts. He is survived by his wife of 39 years, Nancy, two sons, John and James, and four grandchildren.
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: RIP John Hughes

Quite the legacy for a brilliant man. He will be missed.

Old August 6th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Soon to be Mrs. Tony Stark

DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness DeceitfulBeauty wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I JUST heard this an hour ago and I am so sad. He was a *brilliant* man and is responsible for some of the best movies, and for 95% of my age groups childhood memories. My heart goes out to his family. What a loss.

[And DeceitfulBeauty finally beat NecroBlade at Heroscape. With Iron Man.]
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM

Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby!

He was a great director and has insired many people. May he be remembered for years to come.

"People of Gotham! Take control.... take control of your city! THIS.... this is the instrument, of your liberation...."
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Wow. Too soon, too soon. Anyone from the Chicago area who grew up in the 80s knows what an amazing set of films he made for the city and suburbs. I know he made them for everyone of course. But it sometimes feels as if he made them for Chicagoland. "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is right up there in my top 10 favorite films of all time.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; August 7th, 2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old August 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Wow...this is a loss to great Hollywood Films. 59 is t young. He was a brilliant filmmaker and his movies will continue to be revered in the future.

RIP Sir. Your legacy will live on.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation

Why did you kiss my ear?

Why are you holding my hand?

[frowns] Where's your other hand?

Between two pillows...

Those aren't pillows!

Classic!

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.

Last edited by Bannister; August 7th, 2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Premature use of the Send button
Old August 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannister View Post
Why did you kiss my ear?

Why are you holding my hand?

[frowns] Where's your other hand?

Between two pillows...

Those aren't pillows!

Classic!

Bannister
Hehe.... that's a good scene, along with when they drive between the 2 big-rigs.

"People of Gotham! Take control.... take control of your city! THIS.... this is the instrument, of your liberation...."
Old August 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I like when they are driving the burned-out car with the hood lifting up in the air.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General