Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old August 26th, 2008, 12:55 AM

1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Spite's Customs: Sylvan Tree and Grassland

Do you have pictures of all the aquarium terrain you've purchased. I haven't taken pictures of mine yet, but that could be a nice resource thread for other scapers who are open to expanding their maps...maybe even include item#s for the items.

On a side note--I have come across some aquarium pieces that don't really allow enough space for figures to enter, but I have considered having two such terrain pieces act as teleportals.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Hymar's_Temple
1moreheroscaper's_Customs
War_of_the_Great_Wellspring
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:45 AM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteofthedice View Post

This is an awesome tree custom. I always wanted Heroscape to have an elven tree/post.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:53 AM

auralerogeny is surprisingly tart

Wow! I find myself inspired to finally tackle something similar! Like Caco, I've always wanted an elven tree, but I'd expand on that idea and add that I've always wanted HS to have an elven tree city, their own version of the castle set, with many large trees and rope bridges in between.

Whew, actually reading that last sentence over again reminds me why I've never tackled that project, it's rather daunting!

I really like what you've done with the idea, and I think that you've very creatively used a found object (the aquarium bonsai) to make a functional HS accessory.

My only critique, would be the obvious, that of the base. If you ever make another attempt, consider using the trunk/branch of a real tree to make the base of another tree for the elves. If the right type of tree were selected, you'd never be able to replicate the realism, and with a little skillful use of a dremel tool wonders could be made.

You could still add the branches from the aquarium piece, or you may find that small branches from real trees would do the trick just as well. If the leaves seem like a hassle, remember that deciduous trees lose their leaves for half the year.

You could have a rule that from either within the tree, or shooting up at it from below, no arrow could pierce the tree unless a very clear and unobstructed line of sight is available. If a tree has a lot of branches, it doesn't matter if there are leaves or not, any arrow/bullet would most likely be deflected at least in some small way, greatly reducing it's accuracy.

You could even make that mean that one less attack die is rolled from both an attacker from the tree, and an attacker below the tree, and you could add one defense die for any defender up in the tree, hiding behind the obstructive cover of the branches...just a little food for thought.

Given enough time, you could even attempt making your own permanent ladders for the piece, so that you are not wasting the precious ladder pieces from the castle set (there are never enough!)

Overall, I am very happy with your tree, I think that it looks like a lot of fun to play with, and it's a bit of a thought-provoker for me, and probably a few others. Great job!

Click to see more...
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralerogeny View Post
You could have a rule that from either within the tree, or shooting up at it from below, no arrow could pierce the tree unless a very clear and unobstructed line of sight is available. If a tree has a lot of branches, it doesn't matter if there are leaves or not, any arrow/bullet would most likely be deflected at least in some small way, greatly reducing it's accuracy.

You could even make that mean that one less attack die is rolled from both an attacker from the tree, and an attacker below the tree, and you could add one defense die for any defender up in the tree, hiding behind the obstructive cover of the branches...just a little food for thought.
Firstly, thanks for the praise and the interest.

Second-of-all, I know, the trunk isn't so great. Don't use Crayola Fusion. Easy to work with, impossible to paint. That should be their motto. But I don't use the tree often enough to try to fix it.

Third-of-ly, I originally wanted the tree to grant an extra Attack die, and then purge its branches at the end of every round, lava-terrain-style, with a d20 roll. Unfortunately, the tree is so tall that getting all the way into it takes an entire round anyway, so if you had to risk getting killed just when you'd reached the top, there would be very little incentive to ever climb it. We just used it for +1 height advantage. Get even one microcorp up there and he deals some hurt.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM

auralerogeny is surprisingly tart

Yeah, that makes sense. I just finished a game with a castle, and half the game was trying to rout all the archers with height. Lost half of a 800 point army to kill one squad of roman archers and Syvarris.

So, the omnipotent presence of ranged units with height was fresh on my mind...

Still, I really like the fact that you actually built this, good job!

Click to see more...
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:04 AM

karl with a k knows what's in an order marker karl with a k knows what's in an order marker

ROFL!
I almost got one of those little tree things for my fish tank xD.
Very nice usage of fake plants for fish.
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Leonidus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I really like the tree, but as you said the crayola model fusion is easy to mold, yet impossible to paint.

I think that you should make them for a living.
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM

glenn knows what's in an order marker glenn knows what's in an order marker glenn knows what's in an order marker

Definitely very awesome. I like aquarium plants too because they match
heroscape originals in texture
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Spite's Terrain: UPDATE 5/8 Shrines at Kal'Akula

Shrines at Kal'Akula on page 1.
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:38 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Pretty cool! I was contemplating doing something similar, nice to know it works well as an idea.
The same here! I thought if Jandar got a fortress, then the other Generals should get stuff too! I am trying to figure out a way to get a large tree like that, but can come apart for easy transportation...
Thanks for the visual though! It really helped me out! Good Job and keep it up!
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:12 PM

Smiter Woo who?

Very very cool. You should make more! Lots more! Then you could have fighting in the trees all across a forest, as well as on the ground.

Could Jotun possibly be summoned into the tree? Or something?
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Timemaster4 is surprisingly tart

That bridge is interesting (the Shine one), but it would be almost impossible to find a real place to put it in a map.

Save a Dragon; click my egg:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles