Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Gen Con Exclusive 2008 revealed by WotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonic View Post
I see the current means of distribution (which obviously predates WOTC) as anti-consumer.

You should move to the states and be a politician!

WOTC: Here, have a free figure.
Customer 1,000: Hey thanks.
Customer 1,001: Can I have one too?
WOTC: Sorry, we're all out.
Customer 1,001: What?!?
WOTC: Allow us to explain. We hate you. We hate all of you so much we were willing to make some of you happy, just so we could make most of you unhappy. Now come here so we can taste your tears.

When I was a little kid I went up to a booth at a local fair to get a free glow-in-the-dark finger puppet. The lady apologized, said supplies had been limited, and that she was all out. Even then I understood the logic of it. I was disappointed, but I didn't accuse her of being anti-consumer, nor did I cry that no other kid should have a finger puppet if I couldn't have one. That would have been silly.

Last edited by mrbistro; September 2nd, 2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:26 AM

quadraphonic knows what's in an order marker quadraphonic knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbistro View Post
Quote:
I see the current means of distribution (which obviously predates WOTC) as anti-consumer.

You should move to the states and be a politician!

WOTC: Here, have a free figure.
Customer 1,000: Hey thanks.
Customer 1,001: Can I have one too?
WOTC: Sorry, we're all out.
Customer 1,001: What?!?
WOTC: Allow us to explain. We hate you. We hate all of you so much we were willing to make some of you happy, just so we could make most of you unhappy. Now come here so we can taste your tears.

When I was a little kid I went up to a booth at a local fair to get a free glow-in-the-dark finger puppet. The lady apologized, said supplies had been limited, and that she was all out. Even then I understood the logic of it. I was disappointed, but I didn't accuse her of being anti-consumer, nor did I cry that no other kid should have a finger puppet if I couldn't have one. That would have been silly.

My point's being missed. All I'm suggesting is that the IDEAL means of distribution would be a method that would allow roughly equaly opportunity for all paying players of the game to obtain the figure. Of course quantities are limited - I fully understand exclusivity.

I see this method as anti-consumer because it is the consumer body as a whole that makes the venture profitable, but of the group, I'm guessing a relatively limited amount have the means to attend GenCon. Therefore, exclusives, which remain viable from ongoing support of the entire group, get paid for from the pot and shared to very few, with a majority going to resellers. Are these exclusives for fans, or eBay opportunists?

At any rate, as I said a few posts back. I obviously have a different perspective on the distribution of exclusives than quite a few others here and I think we've had enough back and forth on the matter.

Traders! wk4c, Hilo-scaper, buttercup, omen20154, Nikkomon, Southwest Ninja, Mutt Lo, rudyvalentine, JRandall, neo0149, Generalgina, Gromazeka, CheddarLimbo, Mossman, Just_a_Bill, rouby44, Cavalier
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:30 AM

Worseley knows what's in an order marker Worseley knows what's in an order marker Worseley knows what's in an order marker

I dont know, I think I'd be okay if they gave the Figure out to anyone who bought Heroscape at GenCon. At least people would still be able to get them later on in the day. Hey, even ebay scalpers might still buy some scape and find they like it or at the very least put some general scape on ebay for us to buy at lower then retail prices.

I walked away from the whole thing happy, I dont know maybe my friends got me more worked up then i should have been about it but I had fun with all you guys there!

Traders: Hoser, Sphere, Taeblewalker, DiscoStu, Hogg, Onacara, Skeletor, Cavalier, PonchoMan, Just_a_Bill, KRUG!, Wytefang, i2hot4u, Jim, Lakai, NEWT, nerdcorerocks, JediNate, Mutt Lo.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:48 AM

quadraphonic knows what's in an order marker quadraphonic knows what's in an order marker

Let's just say I'm very much considering a trip down next year.

Traders! wk4c, Hilo-scaper, buttercup, omen20154, Nikkomon, Southwest Ninja, Mutt Lo, rudyvalentine, JRandall, neo0149, Generalgina, Gromazeka, CheddarLimbo, Mossman, Just_a_Bill, rouby44, Cavalier
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM

stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbistro View Post

I'm glad I got in line before you...

I was able to pick up all of them!

Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Let's just say I'm very much considering a trip down next year.
You should if you're able. You'll have a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_golden_PONYBOY View Post
I'm glad I got in line before you...

I was able to pick up all of them!
/shakes tiny fist in impotent rage.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:04 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
My point's being missed. All I'm suggesting is that the IDEAL means of distribution would be a method that would allow roughly equaly opportunity for all paying players of the game to obtain the figure. Of course quantities are limited - I fully understand exclusivity.

I see this method as anti-consumer because it is the consumer body as a whole that makes the venture profitable, but of the group, I'm guessing a relatively limited amount have the means to attend GenCon. Therefore, exclusives, which remain viable from ongoing support of the entire group, get paid for from the pot and shared to very few, with a majority going to resellers. Are these exclusives for fans, or eBay opportunists?

At any rate, as I said a few posts back. I obviously have a different perspective on the distribution of exclusives than quite a few others here and I think we've had enough back and forth on the matter.
I don't think anyone's missed your point, with how you're going on about it they'd have to be thick to do so, instead allow me to suggest something...you've ignored the explanations of others because it isn't what you want.

Let's examine something a little here...the figure provided for free at GenCon is often referred to as a "promo"; which is world's more accurate than calling it an exclusive as that tends to mean that the item is only available for purchase from certain store chains. A promo is a promotional item given out for free or for doing some nominal thing.

The key here, is to remember to think about the meaning of words. Promotional, having its root in the word Promote would seem obvious to explain what the little giveaway is for - to promote the game.

Not just to players, fans, and collectors which is what your plan advocates.

The promo is to help get people into the game. And even if that's just part of it, IT'S STILL PART OF IT.

Please, we understand your feeling of being gypped here. Believe me, I really do. I was at GenCon and wasn't able to get the promo for myself from the booth due to how it was handled.

However...I 100% disagree that this figure is purely for the fans and players of this game, get off your rear and go get the figure or make it. That's what I did with other promos and the one very limited run exclusive (the EOV).

Pack of Nakitas - $10
Painting supplies - $15
Instructions on how to paint up the thing - $0

Hearing another whiner silenced - priceless

(Please note that the above costs are about half the cost of eBay...just a thought, you know?)
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

They are going to release Skahen and the rest of the exclusives to everyone...but they will be illegal in Canada. Sorry.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
They are going to release Skahen and the rest of the exclusives to everyone...but they will be illegal in Canada. Sorry.
Illegal or they'll sell for about $1000!

@Wind Lane.. I appreciate your comments, and, truth be told, semantics certainly play their part here. Viewing it as a promo, which I SHOULD be doing, makes sense. I'm still not a fan of the process, but it is what it is.

That said.. let's get some EXCLUSIVES going!! And start looking for some Nakitas..

Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:02 AM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation

the main problem for the promos(hs) is for me.
1. like other games like xyclix is that the booster have some rare powerfull units some are 0,99 cent and some 35$ or more.
a nd here is the main problem if this games get a gencon prome it is much rare * and it is normal a repaint or an other ring color or yous an other nummer scale.
nobody get a complet army many is trade or buy or never get it.

2.on hs the problem is you can have it all, for cheap, the promos are most repaints. the only thing is a special paper army card(that is cheap in produktion) but they idea is that this figures look different.

but good painters can have ist but they need the card too, so they make a good scan and ready.

the fear about every player could have this unique hero in his army is nonsens, most are collectors and never use it for only i have it and here is it.

in xyclix that is bull**** if every one repaint(or what ever) and habe a silver sentinel from a yellow sentinell..

promos are get it you have a new costumer, get it you will have a new unit , get it someone will need it.

in one hand worthless in other hand the holy grail that is promo.

* i wonder if someone quit hs when he never get a or the promo
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:47 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

You know. I just realized something. Stop me if you've heard this before.

Skahan is a simple repaint of a Nakita, right? Nakitas are clogging up the shelves, right? People everywhere are following wind_lane's advice and buying another Nakita to repaint, right? No more Nakitas on the shelves!

Anyone see an evil profit maximizing empire at work here???

And folks, promos, exclusives, they're part of the evil empire's way. They are a tried and true device used time and time again to promote games of this sort. We can't stop them, so we might just as well deal with it.

While WOTC are great supporters of this community, they still have to make the bucks. Promos work, they WILL NOT stop them. And for one I'm all for anything that keeps this game going.

Like $300 Sir Hawethorne's on sale at eBay. I bet you that made a lot of miniature collectors sit up and take notice. Why do you think they kept on running out of Skahan's?

PS And I don't care about the shortage because FezziktheDoor was such a wonderful dude that he sent me one.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:25 AM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation

i thought the promos are a plan .

ony vipers wave 2
nerak wave 2
sir Hawethorne wave 2
master woo wave 3
agent shacken wave 5
and not because wave 5 sold so bad, and you could find manny agent packs.
and throw all the others awy.
so the ney promos could be from the same wave or pack.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News