Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old June 25th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Gen Con 2016

I think I am most curious to see AotP on those maps. That will be bring a totally different element to the game. I wonder how many have played AotP with Ice and Lava?
Will those terrain effects be in place for AotP?

Also the new AotP Master set releases Aug. 1 so there will be brand new builds and cards just days before the tournament.
Someone please get some video of that as I doubt I will be able to be there.
Hopefully I can swing by for a quick peek.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 25th, 2016, 10:10 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Just created a thread AotP 500 point army and deck (Good for Gencon). People can post there.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 02:17 PM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

With Shadows Over Innistrad it includes Road on maps, so Heroscape maps with road - road rules would apply for Magic:AotP, but I am guessing not lava, snow, shadow, or jungle rules. The new set also includes new Crypoliths terrain, and I would love to see this on at least a couple of maps, if only for the Magic:Arena and open events for both games.

Also, I am still wondering about the tournament being 500 points for both armies and spells, as all the master set armies have 500 point armies + 200 point of spells to equal 700 points, so whittling it down to 500 will be hard, although I think they did that to make the games go faster. Basically you go with a Planeswalker and either the hero or the squad and about 1/2 the spell deck. Again, post army suggestions on AotP 500 point army and deck (Good for Gencon)
Old July 5th, 2016, 03:15 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Also, I am still wondering about the tournament being 500 points for both armies and spells, as all the master set armies have 500 point armies + 200 point of spells to equal 700 points, so whittling it down to 500 will be hard, although I think they did that to make the games go faster. Basically you go with a Planeswalker and either the hero or the squad and about 1/2 the spell deck. Again, post army suggestions on AotP 500 point army and deck (Good for Gencon)
I don't think the intent for the AOTP tournament was 500 points army + spells. Pretty sure it's 500 points + standard 12 card 200 point deck. There's not much game to it otherwise. I'd honestly argue it should be 600 to actually allow for some customization, and that's what the Zendikar expansion suggests anyways.

As far as terrain effects in AoTP, i've played several times using the various HS effects and they work just fine. Ice/Snow/Road/Jungle/Dark, etc
Old July 8th, 2016, 10:56 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I bought tickets for the Main Event and the Thursday night open play. Hoping to get into Friday night open play with Generics.

The other events on my radar for my Generics are General Wars and the Planeswalkers tourney, but both conflict with other stuff (Day 2 in the first case and @Tornado 's Heroes or Die game in the second). Might play in the Team event if I have a teammate and don't want to spend the time on Pathfinder or the dealer hall.

Other than that I'm planning to do two Pathfinder Society scenarios and check out the dealer hall.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 9th, 2016, 09:52 AM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Did you sign up for Heroes or Dead(no one ever gets the name right, most say Heroes are Dead ) caps?

We have room in the first game for extras if you want to pop in. The night game is maxed out already(I still cannot believe we sold out as quickly as we did).

I want to play in the AotP event badly but of course it overlaps our RPGs. I might try to get into the AotP Open event though. I got a wicked 605 army I want to try if someone lets me.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 9th, 2016, 03:33 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

The first game was sold out but I'm planning on trying to get in with generics. May be ~15 minutes late as the event I'm doing before it ends exactly when the Heroes or Dead game starts. I think that event will end early, though.

I may also leave a little early, because I want to play in the AotP tourney, but we'll see how it goes.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 9th, 2016, 05:51 PM

The game was designed for up to 10 but I tweaked it for 11 for the night game.

They would only allow 6 players for the first game but we can handle up to 11, though I would be happy with 6-9. An odd player would be nice as I have a 'third party' PC.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 12th, 2016, 11:00 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Wendigo

Normal snow, normal ice
The build instructions for Wendigo call for a glyph of Astrid under the bridge in addition to the 2 power glyphs on the edge of the map.

Will that be Astrid for Gen Con or a random glyph (or not there)?
Old July 13th, 2016, 02:55 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Also, what's the glyph pool?
Old July 17th, 2016, 11:58 PM

@fomox and any other Gencon GMs: Here is some stuff I posted on planeswalker arena, but I want to make sure I am correct in the Magic:Arena tournament and open play:
Quote:
Still spot left for both events, but also if the Friday night open play event fills up you can bring generic tickets. There are 24 total Heroscape 2-player maps to be used for both Heroscape and Magic:Arena, but on Friday at 9pm there are a potential 20 more players that can join any of the events. The organizers intentionally did this because they did not know which events would be more popular and wanted to allow generics as well as buffer in case all events don't sell out to not be penalized by Gencon. You could even play a little Heroscape and a little Magic:Arena in the 4 hour open play if you wanted to as well. Also, armies and cards can be provided if you need for either game, and we can do a "learn-to-play" round for you or a friend who has never played before.

To add incentive, there will be prizes for at least the top 3 players in tournament, both official sets as well as Gencon exclusive surprises provided by Heroscapers.

See All possible army combinations (500 points) for suggestion on what armies to bring. Also, with the game played on Heroscape terrain, none of the maps will have the new cryptoliths, but will be using the road rules found in the new set (+3 move if all your move is on road terrain). However I highly doubt any of the other Heroscape terrain rules will be in effect, so snow/ice, lava, shadow, and jungle bonuses will not count, but of course the maps have a lot more water, line-of-sight blockers and terrain elevation changes than most Magic:Arena players are used too. But just trust that these maps have been highly tested for competitive use and should be great for a Magic:AotP tournaments. See the Heroscapes Gencon 2016 thread for maps if you are curious. We will be playing with Glyphs on some maps as well, and glyph locations are on the maps but obviously Magic:Arena glyphs from both master sets will be instead of Heroscape glyphs.
So was I right on these things?
  • Are we having prize support? I am willing to fork up a master set or expansion if there is no set provided. I would also like to see some of the Gencon dice, t-shirts, and trophy that the heroscape winners are getting too.
  • Are the road rules but no other terrain rules in play? I think we should not have any of the Magic:AotP games on Fire Isles as we should not do lava rules and that map was designed with lava rules in mind. Now that I think about is since there are no "rounds" in AotP we couldn't do lava field rules if we wanted too. Wendigo has normal snow & ice so is no issue, and I don't think the other 3 maps (Quasatch Playground, Burial Marsh, Vestige) will be too bad if we don't play with Jungle or Shadow rules. If we wanted to, we could substitute one of the maps from the official scenario booklets, including the new Shadows over Innistrad one with Cryptoliths, or the Walmart exclusive one.
  • Is there a Magic:AotP glyph pool? Assuming all glyphs from both sets will be equally distributed. I guess we need enough glyphs for at least 8 maps which is 2 of each master set. I can provide one set of each if someone else provides another.
  • Could we provide armies, cards, markers, and dice if someone wanted to use in the open play? I can bring my sets at least.
Old July 19th, 2016, 06:10 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Wendigo

Normal snow, normal ice
The build instructions for Wendigo call for a glyph of Astrid under the bridge in addition to the 2 power glyphs on the edge of the map.

Will that be Astrid for Gen Con or a random glyph (or not there)?
It will not be Astrid. There will be a glyph there, but from the pool. (Pool is very similar to last year; probably identical)

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con