Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old September 7th, 2007, 09:40 AM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Dungeon Twister

My Thoughthammer perusings have alerted me to Dungeon Twister, a title I'd seen before but thought little of. Reading up on it on BoardGameGeek.com shows it to have a high rating. Anybody here have it and want to chime in? Since TH has it for under $20 I'm considering it.
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Like this?
Quote:
Mialee: Left Foot, Red!

Jozan: Do I get a bonus for that?
Tordek: Ach! I've only got 7 dexterity!
Lidda: Get off my face, dwarf!
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Excellent game! I know G-Bob has a copy (I believe he actually bought a French language copy just to get it early - the pieces are not language dependent). If you are at all turned off by the die rolling chance of HeroScape, there is nothing - and I do mean nothing - left to chance in Dungeon Twister. Every play is based solely on the choices you make, there are no dice. Yet it plays like a dungeon crawl/chess hybrid.

I cannot recommend this game highly enough! I was just looking at Thought Hammer and Dungeon Twister yesterday as they have two of the expansions I don't have marked down an additional 2.50 due to dent/ding and am seriously considering picking them up. Of course whenever I go Thought Hammering I get stuck with the Want-Too-Much Syndrome. Yesterday was no exception:

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game (PreOrder) (32.47),
Talisman 4 (PreOrder) (35.00),
Legendary Dungeoneer: Wrath of the Serpent Goddess (12.97),
Dungeoneer: Realm of the Ice Witch (12.97),
Dungeoneer: Dragons of the Forsaken Desert (12.97),
Dungeoneer Epic: Call of the Lich Lord (12.97),
Dungeon Twister: Forces of Darkness (Ding & Dent) (17.99),
Dungeon Twister 3-4 Player Expansion (Ding & Dent) (17.99),
Dungeon Twister: Mercenaries (PreOrder) (16.24) ...

What do you do? Especially when you plan to buy all of them eventually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne
Like this?
Quote:
Mialee: Left Foot, Red!

Jozan: Do I get a bonus for that?
Tordek: Ach! I've only got 7 dexterity!
Lidda: Get off my face, dwarf!
Wrong game. That's Dungeons and Dragons: Twister.

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:31 AM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
I'm already cooking up my next order. Dungeon Twister and Dungeoneer will be in that.

I wonder if Talisman is worth it? I've got the full set plus expansions of the 2nd edition, but reading through the Boardgamegeek threads I was reminded of the tedium that set in during the midgame and the anticlimatic ending. Don't get me wrong, me and my friends played the CRAP out of this game, but that was 20 years ago and games have gotten so much... better...? I don't know. I might still get it just so I can play Talisman again without risking my "valuable" set.
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malechi
Of course whenever I go Thought Hammering I get stuck with the Want-Too-Much Syndrome.
Oh man, you aren't kidding, I was trying to put together an order that was $125 or just over, I added a few things that I know I wanted and was browsing around and adding other things that looked good, it was almost $400! I have to decide what to cut off and wait until later.
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I've been eyeing Dungeon Twister as well. The name itself is a little offsetting, but reading the reviews on BGG, it's sounds like an excellent game. I may have to pick it up with Last Night on Earth!
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
I wonder if Talisman is worth it? I've got the full set plus expansions of the 2nd edition, but reading through the Boardgamegeek threads I was reminded of the tedium that set in during the midgame and the anticlimatic ending. Don't get me wrong, me and my friends played the CRAP out of this game, but that was 20 years ago and games have gotten so much... better...? I don't know. I might still get it just so I can play Talisman again without risking my "valuable" set.
I admit I enjoy the Talisman way too much to give an unbiased review. I am getting it simply because I already have everything else Talisman related (okay US release-wise, I got ***** slapped by Jon New for the that unabridged statement on the Black Industries Forum as he has all versions in every language! Jon New is the fanboy extreme when it comes to Talisman).

As for the mid-game slow down, I find this happens only when playing with newbies and or those without cajones to go for it and risk all for the win. The more competetive the group of players the less likely this will happen. I just consider those that whine about the on-and-on of Talisman to be Gamer Whimps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
I've been eyeing Dungeon Twister as well ...
I can always bring the base game by on NHS day on the 20th ...

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
As for the mid-game slow down, I find this happens only when playing with newbies and or those without cajones to go for it and risk all for the win. The more competetive the group of players the less likely this will happen. I just consider those that whine about the on-and-on of Talisman to be Gamer Whimps!
Agreed. When I used to play this (almost every night) in college, any player who paused to breathe would invariably end up dead.

I appreciate your concerns ej, but I think the Talisman formula has been refined enough to keep it viable.
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:23 AM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbistro
Quote:
Agreed. When I used to play this (almost every night) in college, any player who paused to breathe would invariably end up dead.

I appreciate your concerns ej, but I think the Talisman formula has been refined enough to keep it viable.
In my games the bold got dead. Dead dead deadity dead. Gameplay got very conservative very quickly.
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I love Dungeon Twister. Try the base set before you buy the expansions - the game is not for everyone - but if you like the base game, the expansions are awesome.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Dungeon Twister

Drinking my morning coffee and browsing more games, I revisited Dungeon Twister. I'm starting to think I'd like to get the base set.
Looking for a good price somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax View Post
I love Dungeon Twister. Try the base set before you buy the expansions - the game is not for everyone - but if you like the base game, the expansions are awesome.
I had to search Drake's Flames to see if you had reviewed it.
Hilarious and very insightful.
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Dungeon Twister

Has anybody bought or used the expansions for Dungeon Twister? Any thoughts?

Specifically, I want to know about the Paladins and Dragons Expansion and the 3-4 Player Expansion. I'm thinking of buying either one or the other or both of these, and want to make sure they are worth the price.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games