Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old May 27th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: George R. R. Martin (as well as other recommendations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
HBO's production of A Game of Thrones has finally motivated me to start reading the series (before I see the show ).

All it took was the prologue and I'm totally hooked.
You're going to freakin' love it! Game of Thrones and Buffy the Vampire Slayer are the top things I recommend whenever the opportunity arises. If only they were combined...

Buffy the Kingslayer

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
HBO's production of A Game of Thrones has finally motivated me to start reading the series (before I see the show ).

All it took was the prologue and I'm totally hooked.
You're going to freakin' love it! Game of Thrones and Buffy the Vampire Slayer are the top things I recommend whenever the opportunity arises. If only they were combined...

Buffy the Kingslayer
The wife and I really used to dig Buffy the Vampire Slayer when it was on TV. It was quite funny, especially Spike.

While I saw the first episode of Game of Thrones when it was aired, I don't have HBO and will wait to by the DVD release. I can't wait. The books are awesome and I'm in the middle of re-reading them.

Fantasy Flight Games has a Game of Thrones: Living Card Game that from what I hear is very very good. I'm jealous because I don't have have people near me that would be interested in that game, otherwise I'd be on it like flies on poop. I did get FFG's Lord of The Rings: Living Card Game and I really enjoy that. It can be played solo or co-op and I know people that will play that one and I can play it solo whenever I like. The Game of Thrones game isn't solo or co-op as it obviously wouldn't be thematic that way. You need to have other players to enjoy the great dynamic of the books.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm going to get the Game of Thrones LCG soon, I saw it at my FLGS. I have at least one person who will play this game with me, but I've heard it excels at 3 or more players.
Old May 27th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Train View Post
I'm going to get the Game of Thrones LCG soon, I saw it at my FLGS. I have at least one person who will play this game with me, but I've heard it excels at 3 or more players.

Yeah, that's what I heard as well. Hopefully you can find a third and fourth player. I've read a lot of good things about it. Let us know how you like it.

Old May 28th, 2011, 12:10 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would definitely say the more the merrier for the AGoT LCG
Old May 28th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've got the Game of Thrones card game, and I think it's great. Especially if you're willing to commit to picking up some of the expansion packs.

In case you're not aware, the attacking is very interesting. It's sort of like magic in the attack phase, but you can choose three different types of attacks: military (a brute force attack), intrigue (spying and causing people to discard) and a power attack (vying for political power). You can attack with each different power once. That means that you have to decide who to commit to fights. If you let the attack go unchallenged then your opponent gets power tokens from the defending players house.

Plus at the beginning of the round you reveal one of the limited number of plot cards. You decide the order. Basically this determines who goes first, how much money you have to buy [mana-like lands] which provide gold to put units on the field, and there are other effects like where you have to pay money to be able to attack your opponent. It keeps it interesting and adds to the theme.

The GoT LCG is MUCH more interesting and fun that the LotR LCG (which I was very excited about).

This is a boiled down version of the game. Check it out!

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
The GoT LCG is MUCH more interesting and fun that the LotR LCG (which I was very excited about).

This is a boiled down version of the game. Check it out!
I like the LOTR LCG a lot and I'm sure it will get better with Adventure Packs. It provides a nice niche for a solo and co-op game for me. However, I can see how AGOT LCG would be more fun as it's interactive with other players as opposed to playing against the Encounter Deck. I'm envious of those that have play groups that will play it.

Old August 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM

Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker

So...what did everyone think of ADWD? Spoiler-free of course....

I was pretty satisfied. Sure, there were some big cliffhangers, and the narrative was choppier than I might have hoped, but I still thought it was superbly well written.

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
To become my perfect enemy
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I thought it was almost as good as the first 3. For me, Feast for Crows was a bit of a let down, and lacked a lot of the intrigue of the first three. I don't know if it was a lack of favourite characters or what. It was still a very good book just falls short in comparison to the first three.

I can't do this spoiler free...

Spoiler Alert!
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:31 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am not quite finished yet. I have been trying to break after each chapter.
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Battle Reporter

I tried limiting myself to two chapters a night, but there were times I flat out ignored that. I definitely tried not to read two chapters from the same POV in the same sitting.
Old August 12th, 2011, 10:45 AM

I have been trying to read just one chapter and then do something else for a while. Last night I read 2.5 chapters in a row though

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books