Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old February 25th, 2010, 04:32 PM

YakRoller Woo who?
Treasure gylphs and molten lava

I have searched the forums and re-read the VW and BtfU rules and have not been able to figure out what happens if a hero that is carrying a treasure glyph dies entering molten lava.

A couple of scenarios that I can envision are, Eldgim (aka Frodo) is carrying the ring of protection glyph (the one ring) and is being chased by Braxas (The Nazgul). Rather than let the glyph fall when he is inevitably destroyed, he leaps into molten lava (Mt. Doom). I know that the rules prohibit glyph placement on molten lava, but is there a difference with the new mobile glyphs?

1) If he actually rolls a 20 and survives just to have Braxas destroy him the next turn, what happens to the glyph?

2) If he is destroyed upon entering the lava, does the glyph go into the molten lava space? (Is this the "space the figure last occupied" as stated in the new rules?)

I can see this as being an interesting way to keep a glyph from your opponents heroes.

The situation could also occur if the Wyvern did his "Wyburn" while equipped with a glyph or carrying a hero so equipped.

Thanks,
Dave

"Never put your body where your mind hasn’t been first.”
Chris Duff
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:35 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: Treasure gylphs and molten lava

That's a pretty good question. I would rule that the treasure glyph is discarded from play, since the glyph should end up on the molten lava space, but by rule it isn't allowed to be there. But, there's always...

"You have no power here, killercactus the Grey!"

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:35 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

'd
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:37 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nu-uh, Braxas just did it. It's Laglor's turn!

More seriously, I would say the glyph is destroyed since that's not legal placement for it.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs

Last edited by Fencerjared; February 25th, 2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: the struckthrough text makes no sense now that onacara edited.
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:43 PM

YakRoller Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Nu-uh, Braxas just did it. It's Laglor's turn!

More seriously, I would say the glyph is destroyed since that's not legal placement for it.
Wow, some quick responses.

I think it would be cool either way, but I lean toward destroying the glyph also. If your army was squad heavy and there were glyphs you wanted to keep away from a hero heavy opponent, this might be a good strategy with a cheap hero.

"Never put your body where your mind hasn’t been first.”
Chris Duff
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

*sheesh*

What's with all the Brunak hate?

~Aldin, who would probably also play that the glyph is destroyed

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Roll a d20 for the glyph. On a 20, it survives and is placed in the lava space. On a 1-19, it is destroyed and Gollum is very upset with you....

Newb.
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:04 PM

Grim knows what's in an order marker Grim knows what's in an order marker Grim knows what's in an order marker

I think it's safe to assume that Treasure Glyphs, like regular glyphs, cannot (should not) be placed on molten lava. So I think it would be destroyed.

There's precedent for the Treasure Glyph being removed from the game in a similar situation: per the D&D rulebook if a figure carrying one is destoyed, "If the space already has a Glyph or Treasure Glyph on it, the Treasure Glyph the figure was carrying is removed from the game."

Likewise when carrying multiple Treasure Glyphs and dying, one drops, the others are removed.
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
There's precedent for the Treasure Glyph being removed from the game in a similar situation: per the D&D rulebook if a figure carrying one is destoyed, "If the space already has a Glyph or Treasure Glyph on it, the Treasure Glyph the figure was carrying is removed from the game."

Likewise when carrying multiple Treasure Glyphs and dying, one drops, the others are removed.
Great argument, and I think this one is definitive. I would rule glyph is removed from play.

PS But Golem (Sahuagin Raider) still can hope, it's not like it's destroyed, just removed from play. Maybe, maybe, next game he'll get it!!!!!
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

At the risk of having my head chopped off, permit me to play devil's advocate.

The rules prohibiting the placement of gliphs on lava, are the ones in the VW that refer to the glyph placement that happens pre-game (during map construction) since portable treasure glyphs hadn't been invented yet.

The rules in the DnD rulebook do not expressly say that a glyph would be destroyed if forced to be dropped on lava, only if forced to be dropped on another glyph. Without express instructions, the default thing to do would be to let it lie. IMHO this allows at least a reasonable doubt to the definitiveness of the outcome.

For the record I would probably 20 sider it (1-19 gone, 20 it stays) if it came up unexpectedly in a game. I just wanted to give an alternate ruling a chance like "it stays put".

Last edited by Strack9; August 11th, 2010 at 12:39 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's