Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old March 1st, 2024, 09:59 PM
VIG & Battleship Galaxies Weasel

P_J_Keller rolls all skulls baby! P_J_Keller rolls all skulls baby! P_J_Keller rolls all skulls baby! P_J_Keller rolls all skulls baby! P_J_Keller rolls all skulls baby!
Re: HeroScape is coming back!

I pre-ordered the premium stuff. I haven't painted minis in over 40 years and I rather spend the time gaming. But man, it is expensive.

I shudder to think what multiple commons will cost.
Old March 1st, 2024, 11:11 PM

joe5joe7 knows what's in an order marker joe5joe7 knows what's in an order marker joe5joe7 knows what's in an order marker

I pre-ordered the premium master and battle box, decided against the terrain pack because I already have jungle trees and it didn't come with any other hexes. Super glad it's there for other people though!

Love that the exclusives will be available on their website. It makes me wonder how they're going to handle existing heroscape units for tournaments and such.

A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 12:59 AM

Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker

I ordered all three.

As for Joe's comment on tournaments: in the livestream today, they quickly ran through some tournament format ideas, one element of which specifically mentioned bringing armies that include pre-existing figures.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 01:01 AM

Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Keller View Post
I pre-ordered the premium stuff. I haven't painted minis in over 40 years and I rather spend the time gaming. But man, it is expensive.

I shudder to think what multiple commons will cost.
The only saving grace might be that they starting off slowly. I remember back in the day, a wave of boosters would come out, then before I had even tracked those down, the next wave was coming out. It was way too fast for my (and my budget!) to keep up with.

It wasn't until the D&D waves that I finally just ordered three of each wave directly from Hasbro.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 06:34 AM

Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby!

'does someone know if they clearly said if wellsping water and new fortress will be available in separate terrain pack?
Old March 2nd, 2024, 07:24 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

They did not. However, they did say elsewhere that Wave 2, to be revealed in June and available for Preorder in August, will include at least one more Terrain Pack.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 10:32 AM

Toa Matoro knows what's in an order marker Toa Matoro knows what's in an order marker

My takeaway: there's a whole lot to like here, but definitely a few things that give me pause too...

- figures look like lots of fun, and I'm excited to play them
- everything looks really nice, and the options are welcome
- the tournament support seems pretty neat, I'd love to see it pan out
- the faction switches of a lot of cards is unexpected, but all seem for the better in my opinion

On the other end

- the master set price hit a bit hard. When they revealed the battle box, the premium option made me pretty optimistic, but the extra hundred for the master set felt pretty heavy. I really want the painted stuff, but my wallet definitely got the wind knocked out of it for a moment.
- I'm really grateful they are playtesting against old stuff, but I do hope the aesthetic doesn't feel too different in person. They said they went all in on paint apps beyond what the old ever had, which seems cool.... I just hope it's not too jarring in person (for some reason I get really hung up on that). I wish I could see a physical one before ordering...
- I do wish the cards had a tad less negative space on them. It's a very minor nitpick, but I wouldn't mind a slight cleanup in that regard. At least make the stat box fill it out more.
- I'm hesitant what to pre-order. I'd like to support/get a free drake, but if renegade distributes to sites like gamenerdz, miniature market, etc., it wouldn't be surprising to see them drop 20% or so in price as is usual fare on those sites. That is likewise tempting, as 185 feels a lot more manageable than 225.

All said, really excited by the stream, but I do have a few minor hangups

Good trades with: Warbeast; WarriorPreist; Just_A_Bill; Boromir96; Joecar
Old March 2nd, 2024, 10:49 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Toa Matoro,

If you're talking about switching between Volarek and Ullar, these were done back during the Haslab period.

As I've mentioned on other threads, the problem many old players will have with the prices of the combat sets is that so much of it is in old terrain we don't need. And the new terrain set is in effect just new sculpts that work just like old terrain.

So I'll be waiting for Faction Sets if figures and cards, which are supposedly coming, and a Terrain Set with only the new AOA stuff--Walls, Trees, Bushes, and Wellspring Water so far--and more of them, especially the Walls.

I'm disappointed at having to wait so long, but the way I look at it, they made my decisions for me. I'll be happy to support them later on, if they give me what I want.

Last edited by chas; March 2nd, 2024 at 11:27 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 11:15 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

I wish they had not made the minis as detailed so they wouldn't need as extensive of paint jobs and would be cheaper for both reasons. Plus they would match the original aesthetic better. Hopefully when they develop new stuff they simplify the minis and paint to drive the price down and make them match original HS better.

They also need to sell terrain by its self (tiles not trees) and then have a box with just the minis, cards, and rulebook. Basic tiles like grass, not a lava expansion or something. Its causing existing players to buy more terrain they don't need and pay extra for the minis. And people who just want the terrain for other games have to buy minis they don't want. Terrain-only packs could be on the shelf already, there's no playtesting and balancing needed to develop them. That should have been a no-brainer.

The Haslab failed because of the pricing and the lack of a-la-cart options. Renegade is repeating the same mistakes.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 11:36 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The only mini I want is Evil Raelin & "Grown Up" Solen, just for the theme tie in to Version 1.0 . My hope is that some new player buys a few extra master sets just for the terrain and will sell on Unique Heroes later.

I'm happy for those who are finally able to go all in, but.... The buy is HUGE! I get it. It's no longer 2004 & The Master sets were sold as loss leaders but even taking inflation into account it's too salty for an old Curmudgeon who has more Scape than he knows what to do with.

I happy for you guys and I'm happy that I'm forever attached to Scape with my character Bio mention.

GAME ON KIDS!

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old March 2nd, 2024, 11:50 AM

Toa Matoro knows what's in an order marker Toa Matoro knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Toa Matoro,

If you're talking about switching between Volarek and Ullar, these were done back during the Haslab period.

As I've mentioned on other threads, the problem many old players will have with the prices of the combat sets is that so much of it is in old terrain we don't need. And the new set is in effect just new sculpts that work just like old terrain.

So I'll be waiting for Faction Sets if figures and cards, which are supposedly coming, and a Terrain Set with only the new AOA stuff--Walls, Trees, Bushes, and Wellspring Water so far--and more of them, especially the Walls.

I'm disappointed at having to wait so long, but the way I look at it, they made my decisions for me. I'll be happy to support them later on, if they give me what I want.
Actually, I was referring to all the Aquila switches. Ullar isn't even represented right now, but characters like xenirath and kita went from volarak/ullar to Aquila, which I think fits the nature theme well. There were also quite a few swaps toward the evil factions (exiles to utgar, raakchott and killian to reveal, etc.) Which also fit better in my opinion

Old March 2nd, 2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
I wish they had not made the minis as detailed so they wouldn't need as extensive of paint jobs and would be cheaper for both reasons. Plus they would match the original aesthetic better. Hopefully when they develop new stuff they simplify the minis and paint to drive the price down and make them match original HS better.

They also need to sell terrain by its self (tiles not trees) and then have a box with just the minis, cards, and rulebook. Basic tiles like grass, not a lava expansion or something. Its causing existing players to buy more terrain they don't need and pay extra for the minis. And people who just want the terrain for other games have to buy minis they don't want. Terrain-only packs could be on the shelf already, there's no playtesting and balancing needed to develop them. That should have been a no-brainer.

The Haslab failed because of the pricing and the lack of a-la-cart options. Renegade is repeating the same mistakes.
I do agree with your sentiments about simplicity. I think I'd probably agree with you. In reference to the failure of the haslab, the painting issue can't be ignored. I was resigned to passing on the haslab almost exclusively for that reason. I just didn't want to have to do painting. Renegade did resolve that issue with what i feel is a pretty decent two-tier solution (even if the one is more expensive than id have prefered). That, in the end, is why I'm really considering this renegade option and ignored the haslab

I do know what you mean about the a la carte options. My hope is that comes, however, I do think it is kind of natural for a first run to include everything you need, even if that means some of us veterans getting stuff we already have.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News