Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old December 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM

InfraredFog knows what's in an order marker InfraredFog knows what's in an order marker
Which units do you teach with?

I'm curious what squads or figures others use to teach the game to newcomers. I've taught the game to about 5-6 friends over the past couple months (yay! players to play with!), and have mostly been using Minions of Utgar to teach flying, 4th Mass to teach range, Krug to teach double-spaced figures, and sometimes another squad like Tarn Viking Warriors to teach melee/engagement type rules.

What are the common squads/heroes you teach with and why?
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:27 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Which units do you teach with?

I use the orginial master set.
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:29 PM

InfraredFog knows what's in an order marker InfraredFog knows what's in an order marker

Ah, I guess I should clarify and say that the way I teach is to use a couple squads/figures to go over the basic movement/combat/engagement rules before we even dive into a game. Do you have specific figures you use to introduce those rules to players? Or do you dive into a full-fledged game with RotV?
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:30 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

"So, what do you think looks the coolest?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:38 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Whatever comes to hand. There are a few I use for specific purposes (Deathstalkers for instance, to demonstrate the difference between size and height, Charos to demonstrate the limitations of fitting on every space along the way, etc.), but in general I just grab a single space and double space figure and any hero army card and a squad army card. Almost all the basic concepts can be demonstrated that way.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:38 PM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I taught a group using the Marro master set. Because thats all they had at the time, and had no idea that Heroscape was older than that. You can imagine their faces as they saw everything I had (RotV to D3)

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old December 21st, 2010, 01:46 PM

Shadespider21 Woo who?

Does tough love count as teaching?

P.S. Not skullcrushing tough love, but tough enough love
P.P.S. Don't take the love part too seriously
Old December 21st, 2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I like that, and will try that next time I teach someone! Will probably be like "Which one with wings looks the coolest?" And "Which guys with some kind of gun looks the coolest?" Some of the people I teach want to play the army that they like the best, and I let them. Sometimes that's what they think looks cool, and sometimes that's the A-A+ units (maybe I should hold off on describing which figures are better than others, see how that plays out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgames
Whatever comes to hand. There are a few I use for specific purposes (Deathstalkers for instance, to demonstrate the difference between size and height, Charos to demonstrate the limitations of fitting on every space along the way, etc.), but in general I just grab a single space and double space figure and any hero army card and a squad army card. Almost all the basic concepts can be demonstrated that way.
I like this. I usually don't teach the "if it can't fit it can't go there" rule right off the bat, but it's not hard to; I probably should. I usually save the Deathstalkers for a "strategy lesson" because most beginners don't see how they're good at first. I like to at least cover these things in the first lesson:
  • flying
  • squads
  • engagement
  • movement
So I think Minions + one other hero or squad could basically cover all of those.
Old December 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
That's what I do - if they pick from the figures themselves, and its not a flagbearer or one of the Heroes of Fallcrest (most complicated figures in the game if you ask me) then I use them as most cards are very easy to understand the powers. Marro Stingers are probably the easiest to understand and I usually use them to teach the concept of common squads.
Old December 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraredFog View Post
Ah, I guess I should clarify and say that the way I teach is to use a couple squads/figures to go over the basic movement/combat/engagement rules before we even dive into a game. Do you have specific figures you use to introduce those rules to players? Or do you dive into a full-fledged game with RotV?
Yes, by applying most of the master rules, but having them use the basic side to start off.

IMO they need to learn the rules (which takes a game or two) before they learn how to break them.
Old December 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM

The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker

Whenever I teach a newcomer, first I pull out Ne-Gok-Sa and Agent Carr (to keep the theme varied and interesting) and explain the Move, Range, and Attack and Defense on each unit's respective card by staging a mock battle where I control both figures and have them fight.

Because the Basic Game really annoys me in its simplicity, and I have yet to know a single 'Scape who plays that regularly rather than the Master game, I always teach my newbies the Master Game, and explain the concept of Life value and then the Special Powers on the Card. It continues until either Ne-Gok-Sa has killed or Mindshackled Carr or Carr has killed Ne-Gok-Sa.

Then I go on to Squads, Glyphs, Terrain Rules, Height Advantage and the like, but I never use Order Markers because in my mind they take too long and are cumbersome and limiting to your strategies.

After I have lightly touched off on all of the unique mechanics of the game, then we do a quick battle (in which I usually win) but as we go along I point out useful tips for the newcomer and so they don't lose too horribly.

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old December 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM

Never thought about doing an initial battle with the basic rules. Seems like a good approach to teaching movement/order markers/attack/defence/etc., but I think I'd rather just start out with a real game.

Often times I lose the first battle to my newbies because they end up wanting to pick the awesome heros/squads, and I pick a fun and less competitive army. :P

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion