Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 11th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougabot
This is probably a very elaborate way for a buyer and a seller to conduct a foreign transaction without paying high fees and import taxes.

The buyer and seller have already agreed on a price that includes shipping - note delivery to Japan. Seller posts auction with purchase value very low and the entire "cost" is rolled into shipping. He then sends an email to the buyer that the auction is hot. The buyer rushes over an gets it for the buy it now. When it is shipped to Japan it is labeled as a sale of $.01 and there is no tax on the sale. If you put this as a gift, customs may catch you and in Japan that is hard time (my friend was going to get 6 months of hard labor in jail for missing a stop sign). This allows the transaction to be processed as a sale legally (it even has an Ebay receipt to verify value). Buyer and seller both get what they want, and EBAY and customs do not. It is actually pretty tight...ethically wrong...but tight.
I've never thought of that. It makes a lot of sense now. Especially the back and forth with a couple different users.
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
The buyer, is the same in multiple similar auctions from that seller... so it was all intended. Japan must have high import taxes that apply to toys as well unlike most countries were toys are not always taxed, unless they are in bulk.
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious
The buyer, is the same in multiple similar auctions from that seller... so it was all intended. Japan must have high import taxes that apply to toys as well unlike most countries were toys are not always taxed, unless they are in bulk.
Any business transaction is taxed and recorded. It gives the policy makers of both countries info on how much money and product is flowing in and out of the respective countries. It is data used to calculate GNP. It is also a revenue source.

I misspoke about the hard time, I do not know what the penalty is for lying to customs, I just know that Japan has very extreme penalties for simple civil infractions. I assumed that the penalties for lying to the government would be just as severe.

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM

that guy has disabled reputation
Sickin it to the man. Oh yeah!
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Wow...I cannot believe the reactions to this guy!

Did nobody notice that the buyer is IN FRAKING JAPAN?

Shipping to Japan would be quite expensive, and the items are not, to my knowledge, sold there to begin with, which would surely make them valuable to a curious Japanese gamer. I think the 200 and 300 dollar price tags on those two auctions are perfectly legit for the vast amount of items you are getting. Think what all that would cost to buy new, even for us Wal-Mart and Target loving state-siders! For the Wave Three, Wave Seven, SOTM auction alone you are looking at MINIMUM $120, assuming you could find them at WM prices (which you likely can't)...and that's not counting taxes and the absurd cost of shipping to Asia.

I don't view this as a scam at all, and I think it was more than a bit nasty to report him....he's not hurting anyone and if the Japanese buyer had a problem, I doubt he would have bought TWO auctions of this sort. Shipping and Handling is stated in black-and-white at the top of eBay auctions, and these ones are no exception. The only way anyone can legitmately complain about it is if the seller tries to up the price after the deal is made. Let this buyer fight his own battles, if he indeed has any to fight...don't be the nanny and try to spoil (without merit) what seems to be a nice buyer/seller arrangement between these people.

Oh, and it's Shipping AND Handling. S&H is a lot more than just the cost of a stamp...oftentimes that's the least of your costs! There's packaging (good sturdy boxes, styrofoam peanuts, and even envelopes are not free for the taking!), travel to and from the post office, the seller's time, eBay listing and final value fees, Paypal fees, internet access fees, AND the actual postage price, among other expenses to recoup.

Seriously, shame on the guy that reported this seller. All indications are that he is making a legitimate deal with a foreign buyer, who was happy enough with his first purchase that he bought a second major item. I see no fraud here...all prices are clearly stated.
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:18 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
I think someone said though that he was violating ebay rules by doing that. I would not have reported him, but then again I would not report folks for downloading music but others take offense to it.
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:37 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight
I think someone said though that he was violating ebay rules by doing that. I would not have reported him, but then again I would not report folks for downloading music but others take offense to it.
I don't care if he is violating eBay policy (and I think that he is not)...there's a point at which folks just become pointless rules lawyering ninnies who want to spoil some poor Asian guy's chance to play this great game by conducting a perfectly legit transaction with a helpful buyer..one that has clearly and blatantly structured his auction specifically with the goal of getting the items to Japan in a reasonable fashion. Oh how awful! Think of the children! People helping foreign folks out....what if my son/daughter were to see such behavior! Oh, avert your eyes!
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:31 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
Quote:
I don't care if he is violating eBay policy (and I think that he is not)...there's a point at which folks just become pointless rules lawyering ninnies who want to spoil some poor Asian guy's chance to play this great game by conducting a perfectly legit transaction with a helpful buyer..one that has clearly and blatantly structured his auction specifically with the goal of getting the items to Japan in a reasonable fashion. Oh how awful! Think of the children! People helping foreign folks out....what if my son/daughter were to see such behavior! Oh, avert your eyes!
Yeah, I hate pointless rules lawyering
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
Quote:
Yeah, I hate pointless rules lawyering
I'm not sure I see the meaning of the eye roll there....
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:07 PM

Pathdoc is surprisingly tart
Well, I was the one who reported him. I do not think that what was auctioned was worth 99 cents, do you? Yes, it will cost more to ship to Japan but not $300. This is an obvious attempt by the seller to avoid paying eBay their fees. These fees are based upon the initial asking price of the merchandise (listing fee) as well as the final sale price (final value fee).

So, why did I report this seller?
1) He is using eBay to sell merchandise. He is using their software, server, etc. He is deriving benefit from their resources and has made a contractual agreement to pay the fees described above. He did not fulfill this agreement.
2) I am a rigid first-born who works in a highly regulated field and believes that rules should be followed.
3) Morally and ethically, I disagree with the seller's behaviour. It is theft.
4) My wife sells on eBay. They are continually modifying the fee structure (e.g. increasing fees). Maybe if people were not ripping eBay off this would not happen and it would not eat into my wife's profits?
5) My wife has stock in eBay. As a share holder, this eats into the stock value.

Essentially, your stating that I should be ashamed of reporting the seller is the same saying that I should not report a crime such as shop lifting, robber, car theft, etc. Maybe that shop lifter really needed that CD. After all, they only cost a few cents to make so that $15 price is too much. I bet that guy who stole that car really needed a ride because he had to be somewhere.

I am not ashamed that I reported him and would do so again in the future.

A great place to stay in the Smoky Mountains: www.magnificent7cabin.com

Good Traders
stay_golden_PONYBOY
fil
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:19 PM

dickflea Woo who?
I must say that sometimes the shipping prices on ebay are just short of ridiculous.
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:37 AM

49ers Woo who?
This is an obvious attempt to circumvent ebay fees. Circumvention of ebay fees by increasing shipping costs is certainly against ebay policy. Being someone who sells and buys on ebay from time to time, I am glad that pathdoc reported him, otherwise I would have. Some handling cost is ok (as I use it in an attempt to recover most of my fees) but making the entire purchase price the shipping cost is shady. I hope he gets suspended but I doubt he will.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion