Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old October 18th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Hex Master hexagon terrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Well IAmBatman, judging from your response we actually agree on a lot. It's sometimes just hard to get one's meaning across correctly when you are writing quickly on these forums.
Yeah, I reread my original comment and it was more off the cuff than I'd intended. I blame it on all the work I've been doing teaching online courses lately! (And I know all about meaning not coming across - I've had a couple of students at each others' throats already and the semester just started Wednesday!).

Quote:
The castle walls do indeed work. Especially the straight sections. The (very old gaming) problem becomes what to do when you try to make a square castle and make that 90 degree turn and run across the hex grain. You either wind up with zigzags (as the castle set does) or you create half hexes as a straight wall section would do. It becomes a matter of esthetics vs. game playability. The castle works to me because the sections reminds me of buttresses on a real castle wall. The problem becomes what to do with square structures like medieval buildings or modern skyscrapers.
There's the rub, right? I've long felt that skyscrapers are the number 1 thing missing from my Superheroscape experience (With C3G up and running, new units aren't a problem, and we've tackled knockback rules with destructible objects on our short list but feeling more than plausible).

Quote:
I've played hex based miniature combat games for well over 30 years now and dealt with this problem a lot over the years. To be able to draw square rooms or make square buildings it really comes down to whether one prefers the room/building to look like a real world room/building or if two of the four walls are weirdly zigzag shaped in some crazy architectural way. As I mentioned earlier I feel that the zigzag shape just looks odd to me, especially when I'm trying to model a real world building. But, by making the walls straight, one introduces half hexes onto the playing surface. It's just unavoidable.
Yeah, I guess I tend to get more bothered by the half hexes and less by the zigzag shape, though obviously I'd prefer if it were possible to get rid of both (without having to convert off of hexes - sounds real likely, right? ).

Quote:
So the many groups I've gamed with over the years simply established the rule that no figure can enter a half hex. That simple rule makes the problem a non issue. It resolves the zigzag look and establishes rules for the actual game play. You can now have square buildings with flat roofs and hexes that line up perfectly with those below. And it looks good too, like real buildings. As Heroscape matures and more and more people model structures in 3D we are going to see both of these solutions come into play. I'll be curious to see how others like the people behind Fat Dragon deal with this problem just as it's been interesting to see how Hasbro has dealt with them.
I agree. I'm very interested to see more and more people come up with solutions for this type of thing. I'm still holding out a somewhat slim hope that Hasbro will get us official (plastic!) hexy products that will allow us to make more modable buildings.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

How has this sold? Will we see more in this product line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Dang, this slid off my radar in November. I'm putting in my order this week.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM

Fat Dragon Games is surprisingly tart

This has sold extremely well for us and I have geenlit several new sets. The next set will be out this month, a sci-fi bunker.

Tom Tullis
Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dragon Games View Post
This has sold extremely well for us and I have geenlit several new sets. The next set will be out this month, a sci-fi bunker.
Oh, yeah!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:58 PM

someguy has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm eager to see it!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:53 PM

I'm holding off on the dungeon wall set until I see what the new rules (if any) are in the 3rd master set next month.

Tom Tullis
Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Sci-fi bunker sounds pretty cool.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Tommy Boy,

Any chance the new guard post fits on a Scape hex board?

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama View Post
Tommy Boy,

Not yet, but I can make a conversion. Great idea!

Tom Tullis
Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama View Post
Tommy Boy,

Not yet, but I can make a conversion. Great idea!
Not sure how practical it would be, but it would be aesthetically pleasing.

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:11 PM

What I'm considering is making it a ruined tower, so that it will look kind of like the recent Dragonshire ruins set. The tower would still be multi level, but the walls would have large openings so it can function both as raised terrain and as a LOS blocker. I checked this afternoon when I was in the office and the tower measures exactly the same dimensions as a 7-hex piece, so this conversion will be very easy.

Tom Tullis
Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News