Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old January 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Omega has disabled reputation
Jotun's Throw 14 question

Alright, say you have Jotun and throw an opponent's small or medium figure into lava, and he rolls a 20 and survives. Would you roll for throwing damage? I ask this because lava is kind of like water, and I can see nether coming out of nowhere and saying, do what the card asys, not what it doesn't say already, but I wanted to know for sure if you could or couldn't.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:02 PM

moorific is surprisingly tart
------Do what the card says, not what it doesn't say.
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:02 PM

ChaosChild has disabled reputation
Edit: I have to change my answer to "NO", you wouldn't roll for throwing damage. Others after me have stated the reasons.
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
I'm going to say no. I belive it counts as water for effects like that. But hey, what do I know?
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:33 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
I also say no. Lava is water, except painted red, and really really painful. I believe you treat it just like water.
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:34 PM

Quicksilver62160 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139
I'm going to say no. I belive it counts as water for effects like that. But hey, what do I know?
Yeah, in the rule books it clearly states to treat lava the same way as you would treat water. Short of rolling for the lava damage, etc. So I agree with you. The figure wouldn't have to roll for the throw, but would have to roll for lava damage.

May not seem worthwhile but putting them onto a lava tile in the middle of a ton of them could prove useful.
Old January 8th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Omega has disabled reputation
I thought that you would treat it like water also, but I was not entirely positive.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:51 AM

I'd like to make Mud tiles. Where you'd treat it just like water, but you'd have to roll the 20 sided die to see if you get stuck in the mud. Roll a 12 or higher or you get sucked into the mud, stay stuck for three turns and die!
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:02 AM

LeisJosh is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
while we are on the subject of Jotun i was curiouse if you throw a small or medium character to a point where if they had fallen they would of taken falling damage do they still take the falling damage or is the throwing damage meant to replace that the reason i ask is if you throw sombody 20 levels down that fig should be destroyed just my opinion
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisJosh
while we are on the subject of Jotun i was curiouse if you throw a small or medium character to a point where if they had fallen they would of taken falling damage do they still take the falling damage or is the throwing damage meant to replace that the reason i ask is if you throw sombody 20 levels down that fig should be destroyed just my opinion
I think that his ability already compensates for the unit taking falling damage. It could come down the house rules on that but I wouldn't expect to be adding extra damage bonuses to him.

Edit: Oh, Hasbro has answered this question for us. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=651

Although they're ambiguous on the Lava thing lol. They don't bother to mention that you wouldn't take throwing damage in lava.
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:54 AM

LeisJosh is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
ok that makes sense that the throwing damage is representetive of the falling damage but what if jotun was to throw somebody 20 levels lower where if falling it would mean an automatic death. one of the reasons i wanted a fig that could throw/push was for this reason i can understand throwing damage taking the place of minor falling damage but being thrown 20 levels lower should still result in death IMO
Old January 9th, 2007, 04:07 AM
has been BANNED

Homba is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisJosh
Yeh, I think the same on that. I wrote a long question to Hasbro on that - among other things about Jotun - a long time ago when Jotun was released - they ruled the other way. So it's much SAFER for an angry enemy Jotun to throw you violently off a cliff from a deadly height than it is to jump intentionally. If you have at least 3 life, there's no way the throw can kill you - and 50% of the time, you land like a feather, unhurt! If you jumped from a deadly height, you die 90% of the time - as you observe. That is bass-ackwards.

If you're hung up on it and want to "fix" Jotun's card, I'd play it like this:

An enemy thrown by J first takes a falling damage check for the distance fallen (2nd Ed. Rules, p.10) counting from 10 levels above J's base (J is height 10 and lifts the fig up around his head pre-chuck). THEN, if the fig survives the initial fall, roll the d20 11+ check for the +2 wounds. (This is added damage that may result due to the violence of the throw, that you probably hit head first, uncontrolled, etc. Unlike if you jumped in an intentional, controlled-as-possible way from a dangerous height).

If I cared, I'd also play that a friendly fig thrown by J could be helped up 1 or more levels, rather than a minimum of 11 levels. How many 11-height cliffs are there out there? Well, castle walls, yep - but as cliffs go, smaller cliffs are much more common than height 11 cliffs, and if you can get J's attention (d20, 14+) surely he could safely help you up a smaller cliff.

I just play the card as-is and abide by the ruling, but if you find any of this useful or fun, have at it. It's just overlaying the ability text with two common-sense elements, and not hard to remember: (1) Yes, fig takes an ordinary falling damage check first, counting from the height of Jotun down to where fig lands, and (2) Yes, Jotun can help a friendly fig up any size elevation without hurting them.

Do what is most fun for you, assuming your group can handle it and also finds it fun. But remember if you ever go to a tourney, you have to play the official rules

H

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's